Well...my story goes that after 4 days of hunting and not a single buck seen..the fifth day started off better, after the cold front moved through (Thursday) my friend Jose and I started noticing the bucks chasing the does on the southern end of the unit. This was what I was waiting for and the whole reason for waiting 8-years for this late December hunt.

However, I aint as young as I used to be and after 5 days of hunting and only seeing 3 small bucks I began to get burned out. I had many folks start offering to help me out in my pursuit of a trophy buck - however, the pressure started up.

You know the pressure I'm talking about...the "Honey, I'm getting tired of this hunting...when are you going to get a buck and spend some time with the family?"

So...while I don't feel I caved to the pressure I certainly tagged out early. But in the process I have my best buck to date. He grosses about 85" - short of my goal of 95". I got him on Friday afternoon.

I think If I had to do it over again, I would probably wait to start hunting till after Christmas - and the rut would've been full swing. Anyways - I can't complain I got my best buck yet and a lion within 5 days of each other. Good thing is that with my lion at the taxidermist I couldn't afford a deer mount also.

I don't think I'll wait out for the late hunt anymore - too much going on with the family this time of year...or once the boys are older we can start putting in for the late hunt again. Sorry about the pics - but I was hunting solo again...

post-2231-1229811209_thumb.jpgpost-2231-1229811187_thumb.jpg

Great job on the Buck and Lion.

You do what you feel is right but

you have close to a year till you have to pay in full for the mounts.

Save a little here and there,stop by the taxi when you can and give him what you can.

Before you know it will be almost payed for in full when he calls to say they are ready.

Very happy for you ;)

WTG...how do guys get lions? Are they a by product of the late season hunt or are you guys targeting them...either way, more better for the deer. In cali its "the 3 S's" ...shoot, shovel and shut up ;)

WTG...how do guys get lions? Are they a by product of the late season hunt or are you guys targeting them...either way, more better for the deer. In cali its "the 3 S's" ...shoot, shovel and shut up ;)

Well it was a matter of sign and numbers of deer for me that instigated me to buy a lion tag. I have to admit that I always thought it was bad luck to have a lion tag - and if I did, I wouldn't see one. But this year during scouting I saw so much lion sign that I knew I needed one in my wallet. Other than that there was no skill involved...I wasn't glassing for lion I was just glassing for deer.

That's great!!! There was another post w/ father/son who got 1...awesome picture of them hauling the cat out. Ever eat them? Years ago my dad's friend gave us a hindquarter. made some great taco's.

That's great!!! There was another post w/ father/son who got 1...awesome picture of them hauling the cat out. Ever eat them? Years ago my dad's friend gave us a hindquarter. made some great taco's.

Will try lion for the first time - I'm going to remain optimistic.

Great deer, I'm still looking :ph34r: Leaving on Xmas day after we open the presents and taking the rest of the year to hunt :lol:

I believe for family guys that is the way to go...although I think I would have been getting the urge to go before hand. I think they should change this hunt to start the 26th and end in January 3 weeks later.