Heat

40/50# rod suggestions

I want to get another rod to match with a Penn Fathom 30LD2. San Diego 1-2.5 day trips. Bluefin is the main target maybe some bruiser yellows. Techniques like sinker rig, using 100-200 gram jigs like megabaits and colt snipers and maybe live sardines now and the. I still have a rod that works great as a sardine stick for 40# matched with a 4/0 so 40# bait is probably covered. Anyone ever try a spiral wrapped or acid rod? Might try something "new" and get a vertical jigging rod. Kinda new out here but they have been fishing like that in the rest of the world for a while now. Shorter more parabolic rods seem to be getting a lot more attention in the West Coast now.

If you are looking for a speed jigging rod get a UC CJX 6003 blank and have it acid wrapped. If you get different reel with more line capacity the 6004 is the next step up…but it is for heavier use cases than you described. 

If you want a good stick to fish 50-60# with 20# max drag on your Fathom you could also buy this from me: 

I have that exact Charkbait rod already with a 40N. If it was the next size down I would be all over it. I use mine with 80# spectra, caught an 85#er with it so it may be pushing the limits, I don't know, but it works for me.

Do you have a rod building contact? The only one I know is way too expensive for me.

PHX Fishing Supply is pretty reasonable. 

When my CJX 6004 is done I will post a pic. 

You can totally fish the XXXH rod up to 100#…its perfect with 80# 

I will have to check out Phoenix Fishing next time I am over there. I contacted the guy that wrapped the Rainshadows for Charkbait about making me a lighter Rainshadow bait stick. He quoted me $475 for the finished rod. I about choked! I can get the nicest new UC factory wrapped rod for that, no thanks!

I was quoted about $150 -200 tops parts/labor per rod if I provided the blank, which I did. 

I’m having a speed jig rod made and a UC 76 Viper for my Mak 20.

If I like the work I will probably have a UC 76 Raptor made for my Mak 15. 

Some of the guys I fish with out of the LA area told me they were paying $300-350 plus the blank cost for their speed jigging rods…CA is just spendy. 

I would love to try the UC RUS 80 Tilefish. That might be perfect for what I'm trying to do. Don't want to pay the shipping or buy without at least pulling on it in a store and drooling all over it though.

Might follow Steve Carson from Penn's advice and go with the 7'6 Carnage 3 West Coast "Bluefin Special".

When the world was out of everything and I wanted the Carnage II jigging rods, none existed anywhere so I ended up with the cheaper Rampage rods. I actually kind of like the action on the "5'-8" 80-130 braid" on the 50# class fish as the leverage the fish has is limited by the shorter rod but this is the rod I had a 100#+ BF on and it ran out of backbone and I ended up losing a multi hour fight with him due to being cut off with another line. Not blaming the rod so much as just being undergunned on that fish. The only real downside to the short jigging rods is getting over guys on the rail and the absolute worst part is getting around the anchor gear on the bow if you are on the cattle boats. I had a crew hand with me on this fish and he was jumping up on the bow to get the line around the bow.. All 17 times.. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to take a shorter jigging rod on a 6 pack but mine now sit at home as I fish on the cattle boats.

As for Acid wrapped rods, for jigging and sinker rigs I think it's genius but I have never actually fished with one.. Yet...

Edited by Ohthatguy
Corrected rod type
  • Like 1

Ted at Phx Fishing Supply does good work on rods.  Take a few mins at chat with him, heck give you suggestions/advice. M&M is across from the Big 3 on Rosecrans, call them up.

https://mmrods.com/

• Like 1

Found a guy in San Diego that will wrap one for me fairly reasonably. Also decided on a blank and had him start the process. Since I wanted something for the vertical work I found the Rainshadow RCKJB700-325. It's designed for knife jigs and bottom fishing but should also work ok for yo-yo and sardine fishing maybe too, we'll see. I have a nice 40# glass baitstick already though. Has a nice parabolic action and a good backbone. I'm having it acid wrapped with the guides starting on the top near the reel and finishing on the bottom like a spinning rod. Helps to reduce the twisting during heavy tension and also helps to keep the line from getting looped on the end when jigging. Just seems to make a lot of sense with the line coming out on the bottom since thats where the force is coming from. Seems like you can get more leverage out of the rod that way. 

Here's a video I found that kind of helped seal the deal for me. They are fishing with that series of blanks here. They show the next power down from the one I picked.

Rainshadow is good stuff. If you are planning on future rods down the road, I suggest getting them wrapped sooner than later, especially if you have custom designs/colors.  Guys that wrap rods arent always in the business for ever.  

Know a fewnl old school wrappers in So Cal, they are always busy doing repeat business, only do nee business for family or friends.  Fished with one last week and my BIL ordered rods with him and theyll be done 1st part of next year.  Guy has been doing this for 30 plus years.

Have fun. Wrapped rods are addicting.