Sign in to follow this  
az41mag

San Diego half day trip

Any suggestions on where to go for a half day trip in San Diego? Seaforth, H&M, or ??  I'll only be there for a couple days with not much free time besides a quick half day trip. I've been told not to expect much out of half day trips, but just curious if there's one that's any better than the others. Thanks in advance. 

IMO they are pretty much all the same. 

I would look at Seaforth because they have free parking.  

Looking at recent reports it looks like the PM trips on the New Seaforth are not crowded either. 

• Like 1

I like Seaforth and Point Loma Sportfishing for a half day. Calicos and sand bass have been biting which are slightly sportier, but you can generally get rockfish too, which are better eating IMO. I'll be on the PM trip on the Daily Double Saturday.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, I've been told the parking can sometimes be rough at h&m and point loma. Went ahead and booked with Seaforth for a PM trip.

• Like 1

Have fun on the trip!

Turned out to be a fun trip, lots of calico bass caught and I came back with 5. Wish I could do these trips more often.

• Like 4

Cool, glad you got out and had fun.  Calico fishing is awesome, one of the more relaxing fish to fish.  Yellowtail and calico at islands are a blast.

• Like 1

Excellent fishing for Calicos Saturday. Got a limit of keepers and probably released a couple dozen. Used a 4" swim bait and they would bite it 9/10 times. Very fun on 15#!

• Like 3

Heck yah calico! Where did you go?

1 minute ago, az41mag said:

So as a follow up question, what's the preferred way to cook these calico bass?

I like lite batter and deep fry for tacos

• Like 1

Hi, this thread has got me curious. My 12 year old is obsessed with fishing in general right now and we have several trips already planned to San Diego in August and October (not fishing related). I've never been fishing outside of Arizona, any recommendations on a kid friendly half day trip out of San Diego? Success/action is probably more important than type of fish. What should I expect something like this to cost? Lastly, do the charters take care of tackle, licenses, etc...?

Thanks

• Like 1

You can rent tackle at the respective landing.  There is threads on bloodydecks about kid friendly etc...give a search ... https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/forum/fishing-chit-chat/

A trip to the islands for calico bass, yellowtail and even some bft/yft.

Look up the landings, each had own pricing etc.   Fishermans, pointloma, h&m are all together and parking sucks and is like 12 bucks per day.  Seaforth landing near sea world is free and big lot.

Cost is 70 to 150 per pers.

• Like 1

Cost wasn't bad for mine. It was $70 for the 1/2 day trip, $19 for a 1 day CA license, and something like $14 for a rental rod with some weights and hooks. The bait was provided on the boat so you can pretty much just show up and go fishing. The crew was also super helpful showing you how to bait up and what techniques to use. Not sure about the kid friendly part, but I'd imagine a trip that was less crowded would be better for someone new to fishing on these type boats. It's definitely a fun trip and kind of addicting... I'm already trying to figure out a plan to go back again 😊

• Like 1