Sign in to follow this  
capt88

Another Mulie down

On my way to look at some new hunting areas I noticed a couple of does on a hillside next to the freeway. I went to the next exit and turned around and came back for a look. I saw at least ten does and knew a buck had to be there somewhere. Then I saw the antlers move, he was bedded underneath some brush. I had to go down to the next exit to get to the same side of the road as there deer. I dropped off my buddy on one ridge to watch the action or maybe have a chance if I goofed things up. I went to the back side of the ridge the deer were on and made my stalk. With a quartering away wind I was hoping for the wind to stay constant. I got to the top of the hill and eased up the crest and started glassing. I found 2 does 60 yards beneath me and knew the buck was right there with them. I chose to ease back and wait. I used my time to rangefind every land mark where the deer might walk past. I eased up for a look and the does were still in the same spots. About 40 minutes went by and then I saw a doe start moving off to my left and soon a few more followed. I looked to my left and saw the buck stand up.. Sham WOW he was a dandy. I eased back to get myself together. I looked over to my left and picked up the buck following the does. He is almost in a shooting lane, I start to draw and then he stops and beds down. OK then I will rangefind him again.. Yep still 40 yards. He gets up and walks to the left, I draw, he walks into a shooting lane quartering away from me. I put the pin right behind the rib cage and let the arrow fly. SMACK! that awesome sound of a solid hit. The buck takes off out of sight. I wait a minute or two to soak it all in and then mark my shooting spot before I go around to the other side of the bowl we are in. I meet up with my buddy on the opposite side and he tells me the buck took off and started up the hill, then stumbled and fell backwards and rolled down the hill into a small draw. I glassed the area and couldn't find him. I knew I should give him some time but from the sound of my arrow and the buck rolling I knew he wasn't going anywhere. We made our way over to where Chris had seen the deer last. There he was, what a dandy and what a way to finish out 2008. Double011.jpg lung shot and he went about 70 yards. deer08-1.jpg

Closer to Benson than Tucson. He was an old buck. His teeth were really worn down and some were missing. I bet he was at least 7 years old. I wonder what last years rack looked like!

The ultimate road hunter... from a freeway:) Just kiddin nice buck!

Saweet. Looks like you found a pretty good new spot ;) That is a great old buck and Great recap. I love hearing how it all went down.

Conrats!