cannonball

Arrow weight

I’m new to archery and shooting a bow 65lbs with a 28” dl. I currently have gold tip hunter XTs 340 spine at 27-13/16” nock center to the end of the carbon. These are weighing in at 400g with 100g field tips. Don’t have a chrono so I’m not sure what these are going but bow is rated at 342 fps.

I’ve been reading and this seems to be on the light side. Thoughts? Also seems like the easiest way to increase weight if warranted is to go to a 125g tip. Or should I shut up and just send it 😄

What are you hunting?

If they shoot straight 400gr will be fine, even on elk. Just know your distances and shoot within your ability. I like a little heavier for elk but it is not NEEDED, just recommended. 

Whatever you do though, DO NOT ask what broadhead to use. There will be full-on grown man tantrums on here......

• Like 2

I have shot 400 grain arrows for years and have had no issues. The years I’ve drawn an elk tag I screw on a 125 grain Slick Trick for an arrow weight of 425grains at 282fps. I’ve blown through both scapula of a bull with this setup.

The 342fps is a stripped down  bow under ideal conditions. It typically is figured at 70lb ,350 grain arrow at 30” draw. I would guess your real speed is closer to 300fps

• Like 1

People WAY overthink the arrow weight thing. Get a good quality arrow and broadhead, make a good shot, and good things will happen.

• Like 1

If they fly and group good for you just send it and don’t worry about it. I shoot a similar setup and switched to 125gr a few years ago when I was overthinking and got concerned about calculating the FOC and its effect on penetration. Wasted a lot of time (my opinion) playing with that setup and worrying about the numbers. In the end I had better flight and groups with the 125gr so I stuck with it. Dead animals on my wall came from 100gr out of the same bow so that works too. 😁

dang I forgot to comment on your avatar…make like a Gator QB and send it just don’t be surprised when a Vol catches it! GBO! Sorry couldn’t resist…