Whip

Arizona Hunting Regulations

Am I just getting too old to figure this stuff out anymore?  I have a long awaited AZ elk tag and I'm trying to read up on the hunting regulations.   All I've been able to find is 30 pages of legalize language showing the applicable laws toward the end of the regulation booklet.

Isn't there some plain language explaination of what is required?  I'm not even certain how to fill out the tag if I do get lucky.  And what about proof of sex?  Is just having a tag attached to a rack evidence?  Or do they want sex organs attached to a part of a quarter like many other states do? 

All I've found so far is clear as mud.

What am I missing?  Trying to read through everything online and find what I'm looking for is a challenge.  I miss the old days of paper booklets written for a common man to understand without hiring a lawyer.

• Like 1

To help answer one question, refer to and meet the legal definition "Bull elk means an antlered elk. Antlered means having an antler fully erupted through the skin and capable of being shed. Antlerless means any elk, any age, without antlers."

Keep the antlerless head or bull antlers with some form of flesh and a tag on it in one of the proper places illustrated on the tag itself. Not sure about E Tags yet.

• Like 2

Congratulations  on the tag . For bulls we attach  the tag to the horns and usually  leave the head attached  . In the case you do separate  the head keep it as your proof of sex . We don't  keep any  other parts for proof.  On the cows it's tagged  thru the rear leg and same applies  . Good  like with your hunt and try and figure  out your processing  ahead  of time  . Some years they book fast . Southwest  provides  trucks at most hunting  areas .I prefer  to go to Casey's  in flagstaff  for mine  make sure to call ahead  .

• Like 3

Congrats on the elk tag!  LONG drive from Wisconsin! ;)

Assuming you have a physical tag, and not E-tag (Either way, it boils down fairly simply....).    Also assuming you have a bull tag since you asked about attaching to the rack?   Basics for tagging is that you need to attach the tag to the animal.  Wrapping it around the antler will do.  The rack will suffice as evidence of sex/legal-kill, so no need to keep the sex organs.   

Regarding 'filling out the tag', there really isn't anything to do there unless;  A) If you and another person are transporting the carcass separately, there is a portion of the tag to fill-in (pretty self explanatory on the tag, it's self...).  B.) If you are having it shipped by a a commercial shipper (Again, pretty self explanatory.).

Pretty much that's it regarding tagging.

Good luck!

S.

• Like 1

Yep, Wisconsin to AZ is a trip - all part of the fun!

So on the tag you as long as I'm keeping the meat for myself I don't fill in any of the info on date, time and place of kill, etc. and do not sign it again, correct?  Do I have to call in to report the harvest if I have a paper tag?  Then attach the tag to the antlers immediately upon recovery with the transport section still attached?  And no need to leave any sex organs attached to the meat?  (Some states require that)  

Assuming I would quarter the animal for pack out is there any rule regarding what comes out first?  Leave the antlers with attached tag in the field for the last load?  Which means having meat at the truck/ in a cooler without a tag until the last load comes out?  

Any other weird rules or things a guy should know?  Some states are just so picky with rules and I don't want to be caught doing something wrong without knowing.  Nothing I've found is very specific.  

Just now, Coues247 said:

Make sure you sign your tag. Sneaky way wardens love to try and get you in trouble for hunting "without a valid tag".

I did sign it on the left hand side.  But don't sign the right side unless I'm giving meat to someone else?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Whip said:

I did sign it on the left hand side.  But don't sign the right side unless I'm giving meat to someone else?

The other side is if you have it processed  .Been so long since  we packed  out in quarters  but that sounds  correct.  I've got a sxs so we take them out in one piece . Only field dress till back at camp then up in the hanging  tree for skinning . A simple chain hoist and a strap around  a log tied up across  a tree makes for easy work .

• Like 1

The unit I drew doesn't allow offroad vehicle use so unless I get really lucky and it dies on a road quartering it is.

26 minutes ago, Whip said:

Yep, Wisconsin to AZ is a trip - all part of the fun!

So on the tag you as long as I'm keeping the meat for myself I don't fill in any of the info on date, time and place of kill, etc. and do not sign it again, correct?  Do I have to call in to report the harvest if I have a paper tag?  Then attach the tag to the antlers immediately upon recovery with the transport section still attached?  And no need to leave any sex organs attached to the meat?  (Some states require that)  

Assuming I would quarter the animal for pack out is there any rule regarding what comes out first?  Leave the antlers with attached tag in the field for the last load?  Which means having meat at the truck/ in a cooler without a tag until the last load comes out?  

Any other weird rules or things a guy should know?  Some states are just so picky with rules and I don't want to be caught doing something wrong without knowing.  Nothing I've found is very specific.  

Monkey is correct on the processing point (that counts as 'transferring', so you have to sign the transport thingy for that).

No reporting requirement for elk (yet).  As said before, the antlers are all you need for evidence of sex.  Not the organs.  For pack out, no rules for what comes first.  No G&F officer that I know will give you a ticket if you bring meat out first and then go back for antlers. ;)

Can't think of any other funky or corner-case rules.  Be VERY careful of boundaries between hunting units.   No road hunting allowed (driving around with a loaded weapon by your side during the season can be considered road hunting....)

Have fun!!

• Like 1

I also will have a small freezer and a generator along.  I prefer to do my own processing if I can, but I'll see how things go.  I do have names of processors if I end up going that way.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Whip said:

The unit I drew doesn't allow offroad vehicle use so unless I get really lucky and it dies on a road quartering it is.

As for quartering/hauling, have you tried gutless method??      HIGHLY recommend!!!!

We basically do all of our animals this way now, even if in close proximity to a road. ;) 

• Like 2

That brings up another question.  Does a bow need to be in a case while in a vehicle?  I've run in to that one before, in fact wisconsin used to be that way at one time. 

2 minutes ago, stanley said:

As for quartering/hauling, have you tried gutless method??      HIGHLY recommend!!!!

We basically do all of our animals this way now, even if in close proximity to a road. ;) 

Yes, I've always used the gutless method. 

• Like 1

Just now, Whip said:

That brings up another question.  Does a bow need to be in a case while in a vehicle?  I've run in to that one before, in fact wisconsin used to be that way at one time. 

Quick answer is no.  No requirement for it to be cased.  It is up to G&F cop's interpretation as to whether they suspect you of road hunting, though.

I know a G&F cop here AZ that uses the release proximity as the line drawn.  For him, if the hunter is driving around with bow next to him AND his release connected to his wrist, he will sometimes cite for 'road hunting'.

• Like 1