Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

What am I doing wrong?

I went to winterize my camp trailer today and when I pulled out my plug the water stunk like sewer! I’ve had this trailer for several years and never had that kind of smell! I replaced the anode probably two years ago! Looks like it needs replaced again! I’m pretty rookie at this stuff!

Any ideas?IMG_7324.thumb.jpeg.61739e57404d319ccb0f5985227b09b1.jpeg

I just replaced my water heater after 21 years. Never drained it or noticed stinky water. I do always drain the main tanks.

• Like 1

An anode should last a lot longer than 2 yrs.  Just a guess, but I would suspect either your fresh water holding tank has been mistreated in the past, in terms of attempts to disinfect/sanitize, or else you topped off at some point with drinking water high in sulfates (SO4).  In a warm, moist environment, sulfate - reducing bacteria can convert sulfates in water basically to weak sulfuric acid (H2SO4).  The sewer smell you mention might be due to the H2 component (H2S, hydrogen sulfide).  The acidic nature of the converted sulfate is what destroyed your anode.  

If anyone on the forum is a chemist or sanitary engineer they can correct or clarify.  You might want to contact RV Magazine (used to be Trailer Life) and I'll bet they can easily diagnose and get you fixed up.

• Like 3

Your anoide rod that goes  in the hot water tank is usually  once a year . Some are 6 months depending  on lenght and use . You can clean the tanks with bleach. There is a mix ratio water to bleach . Make sure to run your pumps and any water sources  to get the bleach and water into everything  . Usually  it's a 24 hour process  . Then drain it all and flush it out and you should  be good to go . Make sure to fill the water tanks to the top for best results. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, forepaw said:

An anode should last a lot longer than 2 yrs.  Just a guess, but I would suspect either your fresh water holding tank has been mistreated in the past, in terms of attempts to disinfect/sanitize, or else you topped off at some point with drinking water high in sulfates (SO4).  In a warm, moist environment, sulfate - reducing bacteria can convert sulfates in water basically to weak sulfuric acid (H2SO4).  The sewer smell you mention might be due to the H2 component (H2S, hydrogen sulfide).  The acidic nature of the converted sulfate is what destroyed your anode.  

If anyone on the forum is a chemist or sanitary engineer they can correct or clarify.  You might want to contact RV Magazine (used to be Trailer Life) and I'll bet they can easily diagnose and get you fixed up.

What he said. Don't ever leave fresh water in your tank. Drain it and try to dry it out,  depending on your system .