Not a broadhead issue. I just don't think the shot was as good as you may have thought.

I know of a kid who buried that same broadhead up to the fletching on a large cow elk while only pulling 53 lbs. Shot was almost 40 yards.

i watched the arrow hit the buck @ 95 yds, in the 3-D world i would have called it a twelve. i had no doubt in my mind the shot was ethical, who nows what happened after it entered the buck. possible deflection, which expandables are known for, and since the arrows didnt pass through, maybe caught only one lung, i guess thats why we call it hunting. this situation could have happened at any distance, i hope we find the buck tomorrow, it would mean alot to adam, becuase it would be his first deer ever. the ethic police here should try and encourage, everyone knows what it feels like to give high fives, and then in the end, feel so dissapointed becuase you could not find the animal. keep up the hard work it will pay off, we'll get'em

i watched the arrow hit the buck @ 95 yds, in the 3-D world i would have called it a twelve. i had no doubt in my mind the shot was ethical, who nows what happened after it entered the buck. possible deflection, which expandables are known for, and since the arrows didnt pass through, maybe caught only one lung, i guess thats why we call it hunting. this situation could have happened at any distance, i hope we find the buck tomorrow, it would mean alot to adam, becuase it would be his first deer ever. the ethic police here should try and encourage, everyone knows what it feels like to give high fives, and then in the end, feel so dissapointed becuase you could not find the animal. keep up the hard work it will pay off, we'll get'em

Well said. I am sorry for your situation.... :( I have no doubt that he was confident in the shot at that distance on a stationary target. You slung one arrow and hit one small deer at a distance that most can't hit a Truck from.... you were prepared...IMO. Many strange things happen when an arrow strikes a coues... and they are tough, way tougher than most give credit for. I have helped hunt, look for, and recover over 20 archery harvested coues deer bucks in the last 9 hunting seasons... and I have also followed trails that never ended. The biggest mistake is being confident of your hit and going after the deer. Unless you watch the buck go down anything less than an hour or two is too soon and 4 -12 hours is being safe if you have doubts. Sound like maybe one lung..... that buck will live 3-6 hours. I have learned this by trial and Error.... I wish you guys the very best luck and hope you find him. Keep after it! don't give up you owe it to your buck! ;)

I still say a 95yd shot is BS. A .029 pin will cover a coues top to bottom at 80yds. Ok maybe he was shooting .019 pins. Still a large portion of the deers body is covered. You can't aim for the crease if you can't see it through your pin. You say it looked like a 12 from a 3d perspective.. at what distance? From a couple hundred yards out a hit of any kind can look good. If you want to attribute the loss of this animal to something dont blame your equipment, attribute it to a bad decision to shoot a bedded deer from almost 100 yds away. I got no problem with shooting bedded animals but if he was unawre and still bedded you more than likely could have gotten closer for a better shot.

Mr. Smith,

With no dis-respect intended are you a bow hunter? I would bet, considering this kid's "handle" he is shooting the best equipment out there.... and I bet .019 (or smaller) pins on that bow he is shootin'. Not only have I done it but know many others that have pulled 3" or smaller groups at 90, 100, and beyond at non-moving targets, with .019 pins. A bedded buck is the perfect target, I have seen hunters wound and lose elk 20yds or less. It is pretty safe to guess that there is no "luck" in the fact that the arrow struck the "boiler room" on this deer.... however, making all the right choices after the shot can make or break the best shots. Don't hate the kid cuz he can shoot.... he just needs to get back out there and recover his deer. There is no substitute for Effort at this point! Lets wish him the best and hope he gets lucky out there.

I still say a 95yd shot is BS. A .029 pin will cover a coues top to bottom at 80yds. Ok maybe he was shooting .019 pins. Still a large portion of the deers body is covered. You can't aim for the crease if you can't see it through your pin. You say it looked like a 12 from a 3d perspective.. at what distance? From a couple hundred yards out a hit of any kind can look good. If you want to attribute the loss of this animal to something dont blame your equipment, attribute it to a bad decision to shoot a bedded deer from almost 100 yds away. I got no problem with shooting bedded animals but if he was unawre and still bedded you more than likely could have gotten closer for a better shot.

Mr. Smith,

With no dis-respect intended are you a bow hunter? I would bet, considering this kid's "handle" he is shooting the best equipment out there.... and I bet .019 (or smaller) pins on that bow he is shootin'. Not only have I done it but know many others that have pulled 3" or smaller groups at 90, 100, and beyond at non-moving targets, with .019 pins. A bedded buck is the perfect target, I have seen hunters wound and lose elk 20yds or less. It is pretty safe to guess that there is no "luck" in the fact that the arrow struck the "boiler room" on this deer.... however, making all the right choices after the shot can make or break the best shots. Don't hate the kid cuz he can shoot.... he just needs to get back out there and recover his deer. There is no substitute for Effort at this point! Lets wish him the best and hope he gets lucky out there.

You guys suck. Keep shooting that far and keep losing game. Disrespect for the animal, archery, and hunting. Coues n sheep aren't you an outfitter? Wow another unimpressive action/statement by an outfitter. Maybe you should change your handle to coues n bullsheep!

Mr. Smith,

No disrespect taken. I hope none was percieved (towards you) in my previous post. Yes I am a bow hunter. No I am not shooting "the best equipment out there". The kid admitted his inexperience, it would have been his first deer. Lets think about it. I don't know many places in coues country that is devoid of vegetation so a bedded buck will likely have only the top half of it's vitals exposed with grass obscuring the lower half(or more). Heart is practically on the ground so that is out. A bedded animal typically leans slightly up hill so a straight through double lung shot is improbable, especially shooting down hill at a bedded deer likely through some grass that he probably couldnt see due to the range. The more I analyze the situation the worse it gets for the decision to shoot. Personally I don't shoot beyond 60yds. My vision is not so acute that I can pick up small branches, grass and obstructions beyond that range. In my opinion it was a bad decision. When I first read the post I wasn't going to say anything but then the stark contrast between the guy who gets flamed for a 600yds rifle shot vs the guy who takes a 95yds bow shot was too much. Both shooters made bad calls. Both shooters likely could have gotten closer. On Jan 1st I was within 30yds of two different coues bucks but the shot just wasn't right so I didn't take it. There is no consequence for not shooting a bad shot.

Point taken and dually noted. Thank you for your intellegent response, Sir. I do not Disagree with you, but I also do not Agree. You have made points that I hope this young man will read and learn from, and I hope that my words are a benifit to him as well.

:rolleyes: .....and Psycho, I gotta an extra pair of my old boots if you ever want to try them on. They ain't the biggest pair you will ever see, but they got a fair bit of travel on them. I stand by what I said.... I don't live in that small box you call "your world"..... I choose to live "outside the box". You want to jump in the middle of me for tryin' to prop a kid up and git him back out there, that is fine..... but don't ever buttume that I am anything but ethical.

if you have a question about what happened in the field just ask? how on earth do you no what pins he was using? they were .010, ever seen them??prior to the shot, the buck was bedded when we spotted him. bring a note pad and a pen if you would like me or adam to demonstrate best of the west archery style!!! i guess you can call this back to back lope B.S. first tooken @ 86yds and the second @ 76yds. under the circumstances we couldnt get any closer, and we practice religiously at these distances. we are not the type to break out the old hunting bow a week before hunting season, he does it for a job!!! i understand that ignorance is not an excuse, but in this case i believe that you assuming what happened in the field, and what really took place is ignorance, and to judge an individual by what your capeable of, is also ignorant.

does not look like there is much cover out there guess i better put that 90 yd pin to use

DSC01912.jpg

DSC02695.jpg

we better watch out next thing you no G&F might out law our 7 pin sights, thank you spot hogg and true glo LOL!!!

I didn’t write this up for all of you guys to make me feel like crap! Trust me I do already... I put this up here to get your guys help and info im only 21 years old and im learning every time I go out, you guys have years of doing this. And yes this will be the 1st archery deer I get, but for only being only 21 and not to yank on my own chain or anything, but I have lots of archery kills under my belt. If this were a year ago I would have never of shot at this buck. But now im been shooting my bow everyday form 20yd to 100yd I felt extremely confinable taking this shot if I was able to do this all over again I WOULD!!! The only thing I would change would be shooting a fix blade so I would have that "cut on impact". Trust me I will find this deer I will be out everyday until I do!!!. I will have the pics of this deer some time soon! Thanks to everyone that was helpful.

Adam

Adam,

You have a great attitude and I wish you the best finding your buck. And I also admire your composure in not stooping to personal attacks as others have attacked you.

Generally speaking, where were you hunting? I am in the field often and if possible, would like to give you a hand.

I didn’t write this up for all of you guys to make me feel like crap! Trust me I do already... I put this up here to get your guys help and info im only 21 years old and im learning every time I go out, you guys have years of doing this. And yes this will be the 1st archery deer I get, but for only being only 21 and not to yank on my own chain or anything, but I have lots of archery kills under my belt. If this were a year ago I would have never of shot at this buck. But now im been shooting my bow everyday form 20yd to 100yd I felt extremely confinable taking this shot if I was able to do this all over again I WOULD!!! The only thing I would change would be shooting a fix blade so I would have that "cut on impact". Trust me I will find this deer I will be out everyday until I do!!!. I will have the pics of this deer some time soon! Thanks to everyone that was helpful.

Adam

Hey Adam,

Losing a animal is never good feeling, I have a feeling no matter what you would have posted someone would have said something that would make you feel bad. It sounds like your a dedicated hunter and spot on with your bow. People love to jump in on these open forums and knock you down, for every person who offers good advice like Coues n Sheep, five will bash you. Keep it up, I wish at 21 I had already shot a coues with a bow, there are much worse things a young adult could be doing on his days off.

What broadheads are you thinking about going to?

Redman

I have hit and missed deer at over 100 yards and missed them at under 12 yards.

I have killed them in between.

This whole ethical treatment of animals stuff gets on my nerves sometimes.

We are hunting guys. . . trying to KILL stuff. Take its life away and eat it! We aren't "treating animals nicely" by shooting them closer. Yes I understand Ethics and all that but you need to keep it in context.

Yes some people don't think a 95 yard shot (truth or not) is the best shot. Well it is not the Best Shot. . . but if its your only choice do you take it? I personally feel comfortable enough to take it, and if it looks like my only opportunity to fill my tag, I'm taking it. Just because YOU don't feel comfortable with that shot does NOT make it WRONG.

Your opinion counts and please feel free to use it, but condemning another hunter for taking a longer shot than you is not cool, it only creates rifts between the hunting community and in this day and age its just the ammo that those hippy treehuggers want to use against us.

What about 80 yards???? what about 60 yards??? those back east treestand hunters would balk at 35 yards as being too far to hit anything! "How totally unethical of us western hunters to shoot at 40 YARDS!!!"

So mr. I am mad because I didn't recover my deer from a 95 yard shot . . . . GOOD SHOOTING! now go find your animal. . . he is dead there somewhere. Tag his head and learn your lesson well. Archery is not for the faint of heart my friends.

Off my box. . . flame on.

Adam

Adam, the only thing you might need to learn from this thread...is to not share information that does not need to be shared unless you are willing to listen to people try and judge you and your bow and your set up and your broadheads and everything else. My opinion which counts for very little in this world, is that you cannot trust people, just about ever. Don't tell anyone anything they dont need to know. You keep on shooting that bow and keep your confidence up. I killed my first buck at 78 yards, and if I get the chance to shoot another one at that distance, its going down. Just like you, I know and trust my equipment and my comfort zone because I practice. And I think you would be smart to shoot fixed heads, my experience has led me to not trust mechanicals.

Darren

hello -

did a little investigating on broadheads- very interesting- I'll start a new post but heres what i found out about the undertaker --testing penatration

(expandable heads) This was a little tougher because not all Mech. Heads are made the same. The tip was all I was trying to test but in some cases, the over center blades would contact the material while the point was still making it's way through. Over center blades proved to be a challenge. I think my speed at which I was forcing the heads through the material was a bit slow for these heads to be truly appreciated.

Piston Point/undertaker. This head did not open either and the peak force moment for the tip was 3.4 Lbs. and the peak force moment of the unopen blades passing through was 14 Lbs.

I'll start a post on the broadhead comparision

That sucks mann same dumb thing happened to me in december too i shot one of the biggest bucks i have ever seen and hit him in the lungs or heart followed the blood trail about 200 yards and never found the deer. All i can say is it stinks when things like this happen but dont get discouraged cause who knows when you'll see the monster.