Sign in to follow this  
truehunter

COUES 08

What a hunt... I decided due to time constraints that I would hunt Dec 26-31 given that the front came through and the deer would be pushed into the rut. I went with two of my buddies and off we went on the 26th. Well that day didnt turn out to good because it snowed all day long and there was about 20-30 mph wind. Not good coues hunting conditions. The next day we went out in 16 degree weather. saw about 30 whitetail only about 6 bucks the biggest were forked horns. we also saw a pretty nice mule deer rutting with about 10 doe. picture is included

Next day went out to a different area and drove for an hour before daylight on the quads in about 16 degree temps (dont know what we were thinkin) and hiked into some great country. Again with all the glassing and hiking saw around 30 whitetail 5 bucks. The biggest buck again was only a two point. We also saw a 3 point mule deer with his does.

December 29th... Tried a new area, ok a little better, we saw around 40 doe all day and maybe 6 bucks and the biggest was a small 3 point.

At this point all three of us were getting a little frustrated. These areas have produced in the past... and when i say the past were talking about last year and the year before during the december hunt. We couldnt understand why we were seeing so many does but no bucks or decent bucks with them rutting. Other places we talked to some of the hunters and they said that they were rutting hard. We glassed hard and still could only find small bucks. Maybe the rut was only happening in certain areas??? maybe there were no big bucks in these areas???

So on with the December 30th.... Again a new area. again right off the bat two doe. then 2 more doe.. then hiked up to the top of the mountain and sat and started glassing. only doe. then finally a smaller buck.. I had a goal to go for something at least 100 inches. this buck was definetely not 100 inches but was the biggest buck we had seen yet in 4 days of hard hunting. I contemplated what i wanted to do. I decided to go for it in fear that I might go home empty handed or with a 2 point. Not that that is bad but i wanted at least a 3 point. So me and my buddy made a staulk while my other buddy stayed behind glassing the whole thing. got into position while the buck bedded with his doe (by the way he was rutting hard) and made my shot at about 200 yards.

My question is where the heck were the big bucks. I know that they are smart but we figured with 6 eyes glassing and hiking into areas where we didnt see any other hunter and areas that had produced int hte past... why did they not produce this time?? could it be the fact that many big ones had already been shot in this unit during the oct nov and nov hunts?? Is AZGFD giving out too many tags to allow for hunting opportunity instead of quality?? I dont know i just got a little frustrated during the hunt. Dont get me wrong I had a blast beeing out there and hiking, but i thought that I would definetely see more quality deer than what we saw. Especially during the rut.

Here are some pics of the hunt. All in all it was a fun hunt and a successful one at that. Im happy with my buck but still in pursuit of the 100 incher. Maybe next year. right?

post-3172-1231307390.jpg

post-3172-1231307410.jpg

post-3172-1231307417.jpg

post-3172-1231307456.jpg

post-3172-1231307533.jpg

post-3172-1231307565.jpg

Very good job on the write up of your hunt and great pictures. Congrats on a nice buck and don't give up on that goal for the 100 incher.

The big ones are out there and I saw much of the same in the area that I hunted this past December. I saw two different bucks rutting hard but that was it! I saw a lot of does day in and day out without any bucks even close to them and I saw the biggest bucks either by themselves or running with another buck. I don't like all of the hunts and the number of tags in those hunts but I can't say that I've noticed a decline in the quality of bucks that I've seen....yet!

Phil

Congrats on a successful hunt! Sorry you didn't find what you were lookin' for, but the steaks all eat the same!! ;)

Good write up buddy. 100 incher will happen; give it time. Good pics too BTW.

Quality hunts would be much better. December hunt without seeing an 80 inch buck, spending 5-6 days in the field hunting hard gets to be pretty disappointing. Take care.

It has to vary from one side of the mountain to the other is the conclusion I have come to.

I have not seen a buck rutting yet. I have seen several does off by themselves with no

suitors following, on the other hand i have seen a few bucks that were hanging together

or by themselves, feeding and showing so signs of being rutty.

This has been in unit 31.

I have been bowhunting since Jan. 3rd (shot a buck Dec. 3rd with a rifle) and been in the spots I bowhunted last year that

was producing mature, rutty bucks.

WACKY!

Jeff

What a hunt...

My question is where the heck were the big bucks. I know that they are smart but we figured with 6 eyes glassing and hiking into areas where we didnt see any other hunter and areas that had produced in the past... why did they not produce this time?? could it be the fact that many big ones had already been shot in this unit during the oct nov and nov hunts?? Is AZGFD giving out too many tags to allow for hunting opportunity instead of quality?? I dont know i just got a little frustrated during the hunt.

..... Im happy with my buck but still in pursuit of the 100 incher. Maybe next year. right?

truehunter,

I feel your pain! Those are the same questions I had during my December hunt. I saw lots of doe's but only 2 bucks in the 4 days I spent in the field. I saw no rutting activity, although 1 of the bucks I saw was a spike hanging with some doe's.

I don't have the answers, but I am still trying to learn, and still looking for my 100 incher as well.

I will never complain about the late December season though. It's fantastic being out hunting and not seeing any other hunters once I get on the mountain!

Congrats on your buck and a good time in the field. Good luck getting the tag again next year, and keep hunting!

Thanks for your story.

Bret

Dude, sounds like you need to get some better guides! J/K it was a fun hunt and we still have many years to find you that 120 incher that your heart desires.