Sign in to follow this  
natureboyfloyd

UV-Killers and camo/outdoor clothes

Any of you think that the UV-Killer detergent is worthwhile? I read the sites about how deer and dogs see blue, yellow and greys. However, I just use a "scent away" detergent, and do not wash my outdoor clothes in regular detergent, even if it says UV brightner free.

Am I being careless? I see deer in regular clothes, and yet I know that that is not a scientific study, by any means. I saw that Tommy is successfully killing the bobcats, in the blue jeans, I guess. That got me wondering.

What say you?

I go off the simple fact that plenty of success was happening before this fact was found, along with a product to fix it. Grandpa always had his signature red flannel shirt with extra UV, he did alright. I tend to think this comes way behind so many other things like scent control, etc. Just my opinion. Anyone else have experience with this?

Well, I believe Tommy traps most of his cats. IMO, it is more about movement than anything else.

I called this coyote wearing blue jeans. Killed him at about 35 yards.

Coyote92708003.jpg

I never worry about it. i'm more worried bout my scent going down wind when i'm calling dogs.

I'm not tryin to hijack the thread but i'm curious how the flekstone job is holdin up on that scatter gun. I'd like to do the synthetic stock like that on my varmit rifle but wanted to see how your rig was holdin up in the long run

Until some deer can talk and tell me what they really see I don't believe any of the uv crap. :D

TJ

It's pretty cheap to buy and it is a scent free detergent so I don't think it hurts to try it. I have been within ten yards of deer and had them looking right at me and not see me when I had treated my clothing. Of course I didn't move a single muscle either. Even if it does work they'll still bust you on movement everytime like Casey said. Having said all that I use it everytime and will continue to do so.

You will always "smell" enough to have animals smell you. They have unbelievable olfactory senses.

As in said before, movement catches the attention of game very well. Moving slowly, behind ridge tops and close to brush helps to break up movement a little bit. Camo can be an expensive product. A good point was brought up about what hunters used to do in the past?? Where was all of the scent-lok and Kings Camo back then?? Did they still kill big bucks? Yes, they did. I guess for me, I fall into the gotta have camo on crowd. Makes me feel like I'm hunting a little bit more. But, if you didn't have it, you'd still probably be successful if you have good hunting techniques.

Good Luck.