Sign in to follow this  
Born2hunt

Point creep for late kaibab?

I’m going into next year with 12 BP which gives me 100% draw odds for early Kaibab. It looks like if I hold on for a few more years I can draw the late rut tag which I’d rather. Does anyone have any idea how to predict point creep?  I could wait 5 or 6 years for a rut kaibab tag, but don’t think I’d want to wait much longer than that. Just not sure if I’m more like 10 years from max bonus or??

I appreciate any insight anyone has. Thanks!

• Like 1

Why not do the muzzy tag for 12ae or 12bw. It's usually a week before the late and deer will start pre-rut. Same caliber of bucks are shot too on both hunts. You'd have garunteed draw according to last year. A muzzy setup for like 400$ can get you 250 yard shots. And if you learn it well even 300 yards. You got plenty of time to learn from now till then

• Like 1

Also the creep goes up about 1 point every 2 years if you wanna do the math. Plus tags might still decline on top of that too for late hunts. All of these people realizing they won't draw a strip tag start bailing out too into the late bab hunts

Hold out as long as you can and hunt Colorado mule deer while you wait. The drive isn’t that much farther to southwest Colorado than Kaibab winter range 

• Like 2

Thanks guys I figure I’ll definitely put the late tag as my first choice. Question is should I put the early hunt as a second option or not. I only have this many points because I’ve been taking kids hunting, and I don’t ever plan to build up points like this again. They’ll be out of state for school starting next year so time to start cashing in some points. Either way I’ll hunt it hard every day and would probably find deer either hunt, I just don’t want to burn this many points and regret it. Thanks for the responses! 

Remember when applying the computer will look at your first 2 choices. If you have enough points to guarantee the early hunt the computer will automatically give you that hunt and ignore your 1st choice.  You are in this deep, just keep going for the late hunt.  Billy's suggestion I would also seriously consider.  

• Like 4