Sign in to follow this  
Tj_G91

2023 New Unit Success

After a 3 year Hiatus of not drawing general hunts I typically would draw almost every year, I finally got to chase desert bucks with my rifle again. I drew a unit I have only stepped foot into a few times; and never personally hunted for myself, so I knew it would be a challenge trying to pick apart areas to focus my time on. I had help from some buddies who knew the unit but the dry conditions proved to be challenging, where a lot of young bucks would show themselves in the first few days along with dozens of predators. After day 2 I was given some info/tips and with a game plan in mind, I made the drive into some new country. Right before day light of day 3, I spotted this buck bedded down a few hundred yards away. I had my partner keep eyes on him while I scanned the rest of the what we could see from the glassing point quickly and to wait for the sun to pop out to get a better look. After waiting a bit,I decided he was good enough to wrap my tag around and laid down at 384 yards to take my shot. First shot was a touch high on him and he jumped up confused/hurt and I quickly chambered another round and he had moved about 10 yards from his bed before the second shot connected and put him down. It was a quick morning but I am extremely happy with him and how it all played out. Venturing into new country is always an adventure in itself but having a good network of friends willing to help out, ultimately made me successful and for that I am forever grateful. Best of luck to everyone the rest of the year!

IMG_3609.jpeg

• Like 24

Thanks for sharing and Congratulations on a great buck! .

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

Great buck, tough hunting those desert bucks you did great!

It is tough but it’s something I enjoy a lot. Thank you! 

Good job. Its very very tough prerut in the desert units this year. Poor monsoon,  hot. The deer are in conservation mode and are not moving hardly at all during daylight...

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Big or Bust said:

Good job. Its very very tough prerut in the desert units this year. Poor monsoon,  hot. The deer are in conservation mode and are not moving hardly at all during daylight...

Couldn’t have said it any better. It is hot and dry out there. I barely seen any activity during daylight hours. Right at day break if you got lucky and right as it was getting dark. Made for some tough hunting.