Sign in to follow this  
ultramag338

NM Antelope

Finally drew my first antelope tag. Drew a archery hunt here close to home in New Mexico. I knew the unit well but knew this unit wasn't easy and it was going to be a grind. Opening morning found my son and I on the very north end of the unit. At first light we pick up what I think is a good 78-80" buck with 3 does. We put the stock on and get to about 130 yards. They peg us and move. We play cat and mouse for over two hours. We would make 40 yards they would move 40 yards. We finally get to the private border and we back out. On the way to some other country we spot small buck but give him the pass.

We get to a new area and and glass a herd of does. I move to a small rise and glass a big buck cruising from our left to right. He is moving quick and we have about 800 yards to get to where we can be in range. We take off and get to the point where I think he should be soon. I'm glassing and frantically looking and he is gone. I put my binos down and 150 yards to my left he is staring us down. Luckily we were hunkered down pretty good. I had a heads up decoy attached to my bow. I threw it up and he immediately started to trot our way. He got closer and then something startled him as he came to a screeching halt. He was somewhat quartering towards us and with my son on the range finder he said "he's at 80 dad". I drew back and settled the pin just in front of his shoulder. Right as I was letting it fly the smallest gust of wind came and pulled that decoy a had attached to my bow. I watched the arrow fly like in slow motion to the left and high. The arrow sunk deep into his neck and into his chest cavity. The buck took of and I could see he was bleeding good which calmed me of my botched shot. After a short tracking job we found him piled up in some malpais rock. I knew he was a good buck but walking up I could see he was just a little better than good. I was sad that when the buck crashed that lava rock split open his lower jaw, split his gums and some of his nose. We got the buck taken care of and headed home. I called my good friend who is my taxidermist and is an official p&y scorer. We met up at his place to cape the buck out gave him a quick run with the tape. Last week we did the official scoring and he was better than.I thought. I am blessed to have these opportunities to hunt with my oldest son who's passion for hunting burns as hot as mine. This was a first for me and who better than to get to experience it with than my boy. 20230812_093545.thumb.jpg.f75a925df7277ef9fc30ade42c0b5e50.jpg20230812_093623.thumb.jpg.8abf668a36ed646c78af4dabe6da6b50.jpgIMG_1597.thumb.jpg.be0336dc3954aebeadb3629415d0290b.jpg

• Like 11
  • Wow! 2

Tremendous buck!  

He's got it all!  Length,  mass and prongs.  The fact that you got it done with Archery while toting around your boy makes it that much more Incredible.

Nice job!

You're lucky to have a youngster bit by the bug! I got a grip of kids and the first 2 are ok with hunting but not addicted.  My third is hooked though so I'm excited.  My fourth and fifth I hope just wanna be like their older siblings which seems to be the case so far. Fingers crossed.  

Congrats on a great hunt with your boy!

Wow congrats.  Stud buck