Sign in to follow this  
Oakley

2024 elk regs?

On 1/4/2024 at 11:21 AM, knothead said:

Looks like they split the hunt in two and added 50 tags overall when compared to 2023's 425 permit late rifle bull hunt.  Usually overcrowding issues with hunters but really puts stress on animals going into the winter when you add another week of hunting.

Looks like they did the same with Unit 1 cow.

Hunter opportunity ….lol, aka Mo Money! Their “ surveys “have shown hunters would prefer opportunity  over quality… hence a bazillion tags   In each of three hunts for coues in so many units  and now 700 pied pipers whistling through 6A on an early bow  bull hunt….

Successful hunt, getting out with your family and friends to watch the birds.

10 hours ago, NOTAGS said:

Hunter opportunity ….lol, aka Mo Money! Their “ surveys “have shown hunters would prefer opportunity  over quality… hence a bazillion tags   In each of three hunts for coues in so many units  and now 700 pied pipers whistling through 6A on an early bow  bull hunt….

6A has had 700 archery bull tags since the mid 90's, there was a stretch of time where 6A was broken up into North, South and West but it still amounted to around 700 tags.

• Like 2

It's terrible what they are doing to some of these units. Unit 10 has 1,825 antlerless rifle tags this year. I hunted bull elk in that unit this last year in November and can tell you the population is not that great. Finding a bull that it not broken up is nearly impossible from all the fighting for the limited number of cows in the unit. I'm sure the boquillas is doing well though at $165 per hunter/ $120 per helper for bulls and $75 for hunter/helper for antlerless. I would really like to see where all that money is going. 

4 hours ago, TR0UBLE SH00TER said:

kfallsrob

Did you get your unit 10 Bull?

Yes. Did a lot of glassing and a lot of hiking. Only turned up 3 bulls and about 20 cows in 3 days of hunting. First bull was too far off in the spotting scope to see if he was broken up, second bull had his entire left beam broken off, and this one I harvested was broken off on both backs. 

bull.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, kfallsrob said:

Yes. Did a lot of glassing and a lot of hiking. Only turned up 3 bulls and about 20 cows in 3 days of hunting. First bull was too far off in the spotting scope to see if he was broken up, second bull had his entire left beam broken off, and this one I harvested was broken off on both backs. 

Fandamntastic job, man!

I was in Unit 10 on an antler-less hunt this year and I agree with your previous post about the number of tags being sold compared to elk.