Gr8 White Jr

Last chance javelina

Well after filling my '09 deer tag on Janruary 2nd I was able to spend all my time focusing on filling my javelina tag and even though I wasn't able to seal the deal until the end it ended up being one of the best archery pig seasons ever. The first weekend out started off with my girfriend Angie and I glassing all morning and not seeing anything. Later that afternoon we had moved to a new area and by 1:30 I had glassed up five pigs on the opposite side of the canyon we were in. Angie stayed back and watched as I circled around down wind to make my stalk. After taking my time to slip quietly into the sattle that the herd was in, the pigs decided right as I got there that they were going to feed down the canyon wall. The pigs were moving across an openning at 53 yds. I didn't feel comfortable taking the shot at a moving target so I just watched as they moved out of sight. I lost the pigs on the canyon side so Angie was trying to give me had signals to tell me where they had gone. I ended up stalking the pigs right through the middle of a herd of cattle. The cattle spooked like they were deer and ran right through the herd of pigs. Pigs and cattle scattered everywhere and we couldn't find the pigs again that evening. The next morning Angie stayed at home so I went out by myself. That day was filled with action and several different groups of pigs. I had a pig at 27 yds early in the morning and one later at 39 yds but both times didn't have a clear shot. I was into pigs all morning and had a blast even though I didn't connect. The next weekend found me with high expectations and excited to get back out to my pig spot. This time Frank (Kaffer62) was hunting along with me. We glassed our butts off all day to only turn up deer. It was a reality check! I thought for sure that we would find those pigs again but despite all our effort we didn't see a single pig. Angie came along with me on Sunday and just as the day before there was a whole lot of glassing and not a single pig was found. I was frustrated and starting to doubt my new little pig spot. Work was cut short yesterday so I hurried out to my glassing spot to try to take advantage of every last second of the season since Thursday is the last day. I drove an hour and a half for two hours of glassing. I glassed away the last 2 hours of light. I saw no pigs but it was still worth it because I glassed a bobcat. It was really great watching it walk around the opposite canyon wall in its natural state (boy was I wishing I had a rifle). I had today off work and planned on spending it as a last attempt to fill my pig tag. Angie took the day off work to go with me and help me glass. First light found us pirched up on the canyon side glassing away. After about an hour, I glassed 2 pigs in the bottom of the canyon but only saw them for a brief moment before they disapeared into the brush. I called Angie over to me so she could help me watch the bottom to wait for the pigs to come out of the brush. We both watched for about 45 minutes without seeing anything so I decided to slip down into the canyon to see if I could find the pigs. Angie stayed to watch from up high. After slowly working my way through the canyon bottom for about a half hour or so I looked up at Angie and she was standing up holding her cell phone in the air. I pulled my phone out and, in disbeleif that I actually was getting reception, called Angie. She had glassed up pigs on the opposite canyon side, in the same sattle that we had originally saw them in a week and a half ago. I circled real wide to get the wind right and with Angies help I stalked right into the herd. I had several pigs very close to me but could not see them or get a shot because of the brush and rocks. I could see one pig in an openning a little farther out. I ranged him at 47 yds. Since he was standing still in the open I felt very comfortable and decided he was the one. I drew back and with Angie watching everything through her binos released and made a beautifull shot on him. He went less than 50 yds before pilling up under a tree. It was great! My persistance paid off! Finally after so many close calls and with Angie there watching it was a perfect way to end the season! I feel like the luckiest guy alive to have a girlfriend who not only enjoys going hunting but will glass up pigs for me! :D This is javelina number 6 for me and he is by far the biggest. He is an old boar with battle scars, toar up ears and ground down and missing teeth! When it comes to javelina, to me, a pig is a pig but is was pretty neat to get a big old boar! Thanks for reading my story! I know its a little long for just a pig hunt but as allways I like share my experiences with everyone.

-Tracy

post-1275-1232509955_thumb.jpg

post-1275-1232510139_thumb.jpg

post-1275-1232510206_thumb.jpg

post-1275-1232510269_thumb.jpg

post-1275-1232510375_thumb.jpg

Awesome job!

I'm going to have to send this to my girlfriend since she decided that she wants to go out with me on my HAM hunt next month. Looking forward to it for a couple reasons!

You've been killin a lot of stuff lately!! Great job on the hunt and write up. I enjoyed the story and the pictures. Congrats and thanks for sharing them with us.

That is just way too cool Tracy!!! I'm glad you stuck it out and sealed the deal. I'm envious of your double archery scores this month. Way to kick butt! Five animals in 60 days right? You da man! We need to hang out more often so you can share that horseshoe, it's big enough to share. LOL

Congrats on a nice pig Tracy! How did the pack work out?

The pack worked out great! I have the Badlands Super Day pack and I love it with all the pockets and compartments but its not really meant to pack out game. The Badlands 2200 is great for packing out game but doesn't have quite as many pockets and compartments. So to have the best of both worlds the 2200 was "for Angie" for Christmas. Thats one of the great things about her hunting now, I buy gear for her and then I can use it as well! ;) :P So when I shot the pig I packed it out with her pack and she wore my pack.

-Tracy

That is just way too cool Tracy!!! I'm glad you stuck it out and sealed the deal. I'm envious of your double archery scores this month. Way to kick butt! Five animals in 60 days right? You da man! We need to hang out more often so you can share that horseshoe, it's big enough to share. LOL

Well not to get too technical but it was 56 days! B) :P :rolleyes: Hopefully my horseshoe will work for your kids' Jr hunt this weekend! I should be able to make it for both Sat and Sun. Can't wait to watch the kids lay the smack down on some stinkies!

Thanks to everybody for your nice replies and comments!

-Tracy