Bird Dog

Bull Bison 2024

Hello CWT!   I wanted to start a topic to get this going.  I drew the 1st bull hunt starting 3/29.  I put in for this hunt as a tribute to a friend whom pass away last year after working with him 25 years.  After helping his family settle his estate I was willed his 375 H&H Ruger No.1.  I had been adding bonus points and 23 points I decided to put in.  Much to my surprise, my card was charged last fall on his birthday.

Any other members or friends out there whom have the 1st hunt for bull starting 3/29?  I was wondering if the drama has decreased recently?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Like 6

Best of luck on the hunt. I'm sue he will be with you every step of the way. Great round and rifle.

• Like 1

Hey BD, 

Glad to see you posting on here. Flatlander might be a good resource for you. Ill reach out to him.

Also Your dad and brother helped us years ago on a coues hunt. (Same year you had a sheep tag)  down south

• Like 1

23 hours ago, WhtMtnHunter said:

Going guided, co-op, or DIY? 

Might help narrow down relevant info to give

Well, that is the question I am trying to figure out.  A fully guided hunt most likely will not be an option due to $$$, although looking into semi-guided options as I did with my sheep hunt years ago.  The Co-op seems interesting but I have not hear much on this yet.  Most likely a DYI option I will have to go with, and frankly if you separate out the conflict and look at just doing my thing, staying out of others way while making the most of my opportunity seems most attractive.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 8:30 AM, AZBIG10 said:

Hey BD, 

Glad to see you posting on here. Flatlander might be a good resource for you. Ill reach out to him.

Also Your dad and brother helped us years ago on a coues hunt. (Same year you had a sheep tag)  down south

That has been a minute!  Thank you for your help. Where oh where is Flatlander.......... hahah.  I did have a great conversation today with AZGFD WM.    So, I will just keep on taking notes and trying to figure this out while winter shows itself.  

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 7:14 AM, PRDATR said:

Best of luck on the hunt. I'm sue he will be with you every step of the way. Great round and rifle.

The more I have shot this rifle the more I do like it.  A new recoil pad has helped tremendously.   I have settled on 260 gr. Accubonds at almost 2700 fps., so all is well in the sight in department.    I have really enjoyed the adventure so far with the .375 after years ago selling my .338.  The push is real but fun.

Had this same hunt a few years ago.  My best friend made it up for a week and was with me when I finally tagged out after 21 days.  Little did I know that it would be his last big game hunt.  So many great memories up there.

My advice is buy, borrow, or rent a tracked vehicle( snowmobile or UTV) and go the opening 4-5 days to the trick tank/salt lick at the west end of the 268 road.  They always kill 2-3 good bulls in the first few days at the far west end of the hunt area but you will have to typically get thru some deep snow to get there.  After that first 4-5 days I would wait until the last 2 weeks of the hunt and go at it hard.  There is no way to avoid the guides, hopefully you only have to deal with 1 or it could get ugly.   There is a fakebook group you can join if you want more up to date info, just keep in mind that some of the things posted there are not entirely accurate and may be intended to deter DIY hunters. 

Good luck!   Hope you get a great bull!

• Like 1

I honestly would avoid going up there until the last 2-3 weeks depending on the snow melt. You will be fighting Russ, crew and his snow machines getting to the only salt that will be hit opening weeks. There’s almost double the salt out there than what’s listed. This hunts success rate depends a lot on the weather and snow melt. Soon as that happens and there’s access plan on being up there as long as you can. The guides are successful up there by sitting blinds, cutting track and spot n stalk. Dont get caught up sitting a blind for days unless you have sign of them hitting that particular salt. Hunt your hunt. Dont let anybody dictate how you would normally hunt. It’s your tag! 

• Like 2