Sign in to follow this  
Curtis Reed

Anyone else freeze drying?

Is it big enough to freeze dry velvet coues antlers... or maybe a split set of mule deer antlers? Ed F

2 hours ago, catclaw said:

Which shroud? 

This video explains it. When you finally get a hold of harvest right, they'll tell you to do this step. I didn't rewrap mine because I just warm up the sensor when I get a vacuum error. It is dumb that with how much these things cost, and they still have some kinks to iron out. He removed the back, left and top panels. I just removed the top and back panels to achieve the same results. 

8 hours ago, catclaw said:

My freeze dryer is down.  Won't pull enough vacuum.  I'm waiting on parts,  company is not very responsive. Hoping it's just a leaky vacuum hose. 

Check your drain valve. fill a bucket with water and put drain hose in the water. if water is getting sucked up the hose when your pulling a vacuum your valve is leaking. the new pro models have a stainless valve as the other ones would corrode over time and cause small leaks. 

My neighbors bought one during the covid nonsense. They went crazy and did an entire cow, chicken, more eggs than you could count, and every candy you can imagine. Seems like there is a trick to doing meat but they have it down pretty good. They have more food stored than I think they will ever use. 

22 hours ago, BOWUNTR said:

Is it big enough to freeze dry velvet coues antlers... or maybe a split set of mule deer antlers? Ed F

I would say no. At least my medium is not big enough.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 3:58 PM, trphyhntr said:

Can you freeze dry whole meals like mountain house? 

My wife does all kinds of meals like this.  Way way better than the commercial meals they sell.  Doesn’t give you the trouser chilies near as bad either.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Harvest sent my wife a new hose and drain valve. This didn't fix it. I had to tear it apart and reseal the fitting into the chamber. I was very disappointed with their very lacking instructions. I'm glad the parts came before i left for work for the year. My wife could not have fixed it alone. The parts took over 2 weeks to arrive from Utah; wagon trains are alive and well.

I sealed the potted fitting with the wires and sealed the fitting with RTV as well.

We are back down to < 400 milli torres.

Hopefully it holds out

• Like 2

2 hours ago, catclaw said:

Harvest sent my wife a new hose and drain valve. This didn't fix it. I had to tear it apart and reseal the fitting into the chamber. I was very disappointed with their very lacking instructions. I'm glad the parts came before i left for work for the year. My wife could not have fixed it alone. The parts took over 2 weeks to arrive from Utah; wagon trains are alive and well.

I sealed the potted fitting with the wires and sealed the fitting with RTV as well.

We are back down to < 400 milli torres.

Hopefully it holds out

Yeah that was another weak point that was addressed with the new models. That part is now sealed with a glass epoxy. 

IMG_9328.png

The: drain valve was really rusty too.i need to find something more permanent 

On 4/8/2024 at 5:01 AM, Curtis Reed said:

orher people online have used this as a permanent replacement 

https://a.co/d/7MOCdiy

Yellow is rated for gas, if you have a choice between blue and yellow, get yellow. 

4 hours ago, zackcarp said:

Yellow is rated for gas, if you have a choice between blue and yellow, get yellow. 

The blue one posted is 304 which is fine. Why would you need one rated for natural gas?