Sign in to follow this  
Coues 'n' Sheep

Aplications & the Economy

Did your budget affect your Apps??  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Did you fill out apps for elk & antelope this year?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but only Elk
    • Yes, but only Antelope
  2. 2. Did you apply this year the same as you did in the past?

• Yes, basically the same.
    • No, My apps were different due to econmics.
    • No, My apps were different due to non-economic reasons.
  3. 3. Did you apply for units that were closer to home this year inorder to maxmize your hunting dollars?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not really
  4. 4. Did you apply for bonus point only on your Apps. due to your economic situation?

• Yes, for both elk & antelope.
    • Yes, only for elk.
    • Yes, only for antelope.
    • Yes, but NOT for econmic reasons.
    • No I did not apply for just a BP this year.
  5. 5. Do you feel that many AZ famillies are having to choose Tag vs. BP this year due to the hard econmic times?

• Yes
    • No

I have done similar tactics, stashing cash/coins here and there. Usually it isn't the tags that are so expensive, it is the gas and camping that I look at in our situation. Money is number one stress in my home and as much as I love hunting, home comes first. I look at it like I am taking a break this year.

My youngest and I will still put in for deer..........and coyote.....

Good luck to all out there, keep hanging on...

Thanks for the reminder theres still deer! I'm pretty much heart broke I can't afford to put in for Elk & Antelope this year. If I can muster it by summer I will go out of state and BUY myself an elk hunt. I am wondering what's the reason G&F needs our money 9 months before the dang hunts start? Is this common practice in other states for lottery tags, I mean, they don't even have last years success rates out till you get results back for this year anyway, slackers in my opinion? I think it's a crock personally, but i'm just bitter I have 0 chance of elk hunting this year in AZ after putting in the last 4 with no luck. Bonus points are useless too me right now, besides that talking to other hunters it seems the bonus system doesn't work anyway, one guy puts in the first year and gets a tag, the other for 12 and still nothing, ya-know?. I think i'm just mad enough at G&F and myself too save up the money by summer and go else where.Up here in Show Low theres annualy little work in the winter especially with the economy. I'm just SOL as they say. Hopefully I can find myself another elk head this year with the " majority" :angry: of hair not on it. :rolleyes: And go elk hunting some where else.This will be a hard lesson in money management for me!!!

Hey Redneck, I may know you if that name is tattoed on you. is it?

I guess my one consession to the economy was not putting in for a 3rd choice for an LO unit. I spent 6 days and a fair amount of money in one last year and didn't see an elk.

I figured I would just put in for the unit I wanted, first and second choice and see how it turns out.

I usually draw deer tags and I love going to the Kaibab for fall turkey and other critters. If fuel stays the way it is, I will probably try for that tag this year.

Because of the internet and the hunting relationships I have developed, I could pretty much hunt from August to Febuary with somebody if I didn't draw a single tag of my own. I really just like to hunt, wether it is my tag or helping friends, its all fun to me, Take Care, JLG.

I guess my one consession to the economy was not putting in for a 3rd choice for an LO unit. I spent 6 days and a fair amount of money in one last year and didn't see an elk.

I figured I would just put in for the unit I wanted, first and second choice and see how it turns out.

I usually draw deer tags and I love going to the Kaibab for fall turkey and other critters. If fuel stays the way it is, I will probably try for that tag this year.

Because of the internet and the hunting relationships I have developed, I could pretty much hunt from August to Febuary with somebody if I didn't draw a single tag of my own. I really just like to hunt, wether it is my tag or helping friends, its all fun to me, Take Care, JLG.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that the draw is nothing more than the LOTTERY?

Their are people who have never bought a lottery ticket in their life that may have gotten one for Christmas and won a million dollars.

And there are those that may spend $1.00 $20.00 $100.00 a week and never won anything.

The bonus point system is just buying you another lottery ticket.

That simple.

If you have good or bad luck, that is what it boils down to :(

So Mike, what was the reason for picking my quote and than writing what you did. What part of my quote made you think, I don't get the draw is a lottery. I bitched about nothing and just spoke of a couple general things as they pertain to me.

Basicly, I said, if I don't get an elk tag I am good with it, I will hunt one way or another this year, more than likely based on the draw odds for the hunts I put in for, it will be deer or fall turkeys. If I don't get them I will hunt with friends, which I am cool with too. I just like getting out "there" hunting, possessing a tag is a bonus.

If I help my friends be successful or people new to the sport be successful, I get great joy from that, Take Care, JLG.

It was not directed towards you.

I have a hard time with people thinking

the Bonus point System is a crock.

It does help you draw a tag but people

just can not get over the Idea that YOUR #

has to come up

1 Ticket or 100, You have to have the computer draw your #.

I am sorry if you felt it was directed towards you.

Yeah it hurts real bad to fork out that cash. A habit that I got into about ten years ago was putting aside a seperate account just for hunting. Buying one adult licence and applying for elk and antelope for each of us I was out over 11 bills. I bought the other three licenses back in October for the 2009 spring hunts. It gets under my skin that I can go to Walmart and show my ID and hunting license and buy a tag for every over the counter hunt available, but can't buy a " super conservation " license and save some cash without appearing in person at a GF office. What a bunch of BS. I sent an E mail once expressing my distaste for this "cost saving approach for family's" and was told that my e mail had "been forwarded". To the round file?

I think we all understand that it is a lottery system and would like to be drawn more. I am just glad to be able to hunt archery every year, and to me it’s about the experience and helping friends. I don’t think Gamehauler meant to offend anyone just want everyone to no that it is a lottery system with poor odds. I’m with you JLG, I enjoy just being out there in the field hunting….. good times!

Why is it so hard for people to understand that the draw is nothing more than the LOTTERY?

Their are people who have never bought a lottery ticket in their life that may have gotten one for Christmas and won a million dollars.

And there are those that may spend $1.00 $20.00 $100.00 a week and never won anything.

The bonus point system is just buying you another lottery ticket.

That simple.

If you have good or bad luck, that is what it boils down to :(

Sorry, Bud...... :rolleyes: You did kinda throw ol' JLG under the bus by quoting him.... and your rant was pretty unwarented.... :rolleyes: ;) No one was debating the BP system.... as a modified BP system it Does have flaws.... that we all know. This was simply about three things.... Tags vs. BP's vs. Economy..... ;) Lets get back to the the regularly scheduled poll..... ;)

This economy will certainly affect this year's draw. The poll results certainly show that. Fewer applications in the overall draw will theoretically increase the odds of those who put in for "actual" hunts and not just BP's. However, I don't think it will affect the max point pools much at all. Most hunters that have 10,11,13,18 or whatever bonus points are not going to give in now. They will find a way to come up with the money.

That's the boat I was in. I have 11 pts for elk and made darn sure I got my app in. However, I only had 8 pts for antelope so I only put in for a BP.

Good luck to all! Except if you put in for the same hunts as me! :P

Gamehauler made a good point about this being a hunting website.I do not know what the total percent of hunters that get on websites is,but I would guess that it is not more then 20%.And there is going to be a lot higher percent of us that are going to put in compared to the majority of the population.The more I talk to people the more I think that there is going to be a pretty big drop in applications from last year.

I applied for Elk as usual. Bonus point only for Antelope. A big construction project I wan't to be in on falls heavily during the Antelope season and I don't want to burn all those points if I was lucky enough to get drawn and not be able to hunt.