Sign in to follow this  
azyota

Archery Pig during the HAM hunt.

Friday was going to be my last day to hunt this season and I picked up a pig with my bow. I got a bit of a late start but got set up and started glassing. Within just a few minutes I had a herd of Mule Deer glassed up about 800yds out. I watched them for a while as the sun got a bit higher and realized there was a good size herd of pigs just down the ridge from the deer, so the hike was on. It took me a while to get over to them, but by the time I got there the deer were between me and the pigs. I watched a pretty decent 3x3 feed within 40yds of me. He was really wide. These pics are from when he was closer to 60yds out. Too bad deer season was over.

MD_37B_1.jpg

A little closer look

MD_37B_2.jpg

I thought sure the deer were going to bust out and spook the pigs. I had to wait for a long time for the deer to finally pass buy. Then I had a herd of cows staring at me. I had to wait them out for the same reason. I thought sure they were going to spook and take the pigs with them. By the time I got past the beef farm I thought sure the pigs would be gone. Finally I spotted some of them about 60yds away and they were moving downwind of me. One of them winded, or maybe saw me and started woofing, then another walked out at 20yds. One shot and he only ran off about 20yds.

I'm shooting a PSE X-Force with Gold Tip 7595 arrows and Rocket Sidewinder-3 mechanical broadheads. The exit wound was massive. I didn't take a pic of it but I did take one of the prickly pear cactus that the arrow blew threw after going threw the pig.

09_Pig_2_cactus.jpg

09_Pig_1.jpg

azyota,

great pics and story thanks for sharing! that is one of the better "javi" pictures i have seen. mechanicals are awesome on "javis" i like the grim reaper but most of them will "ruin their day"

you gotta love feb in the desert sothwest. ;)

enjoy the bbq sandwhiches mine are gone already!! :(

azmeat

Nice job.They are fun little critters to hunt with a bow and looks like you had a great time.

Thanks all! I had a great time hunting this past season. Congrats to everyone that tagged out, and better luck next time to those that didn't. Cant' wait to get back out there!

Yea congratulations, you the man!!

Ernesto C

I'm going to have to do alot better than a pig to be "the man" but thanks, I was happy to get him :P

Believe me, you are! any animal with a bow regardles of type or size is an oustanding acomplishment. Yeap......you better believe it!

Ernesto C :)

Yea congratulations, you the man!!

Ernesto C

I'm going to have to do alot better than a pig to be "the man" but thanks, I was happy to get him :P

Believe me, you are! any animal with a bow regardles of type or size is an oustanding acomplishment. Yeap......you better believe it!

Ernesto C :)

I'll take that! Thanks, Pat