Sign in to follow this  
KGAINES

New Alternative Management

"A survey conducted this year indicates that population models, recalibrated after a 2004 survey, are right on the money. Hunt recommendations for North Kaibab mule deer hunts for fall 2009 will be made without reference to forage monitoring."

iirc, the cliffrose monitoring and the population models supported G&F desires to increase buck harvest, which was opposed by ADA and its studies.

So, can an increase in permits be expected?? but driven now by a different vehicle??

Doug,

According to Brian Wakeling during last night's meeting, they are expecting to recommend a decrease in doe and buck harvest on the Kaibab. Those recommendations have not been set yet, however and will be based on population data (fawn:doe, buck:doe ratios, age class in the harvest, yearling weights, etc). They still want to have a doe harvest for youth opportunity, but he said there was no biological justification for a large increase in doe permits. This is what the ADA has been saying for years. The recalibration of the model that Brian referred to was done after the ADA pushed for and helped fund a double count helicopter survey to get a better count of the herd. At that time, the AGFD population model said there were a lot more deer than the helicopter survey showed, so they recalibrated the model based on those flights. It is encouraging that the model and current helicopter survey flight done (I believe he said last month) were in agreement.

One of the biggest points of contention between the ADA and AGFD has been with their reliance on cliff rose data to determine if the herd needed to be reduced. Basically if AGFD found that cliff rose utilization was greater than 50% then they would increase doe harvest in order to reduce the deer herd. The ADA has several members that know the Kaibab very well and it was clear to them that the deer herd was not above carrying capacity and could grow without harm to the habitat. So it seemed to us that the AGFD's reliance on cliff rose data was not the best way to make decisions regarding management of that herd. So the ADA helped fund a collaborative 3-year research project that has now made clear to the dept that cliff rose monitoring is not a reliable method to use. Quote from their press release: "Although the final analyses have yet to be completed, one thing is clear: The cliffrose monitoring is not adequate to detect effects of mule deer abundance on winter range. "

The three year research project is studying far more than just the cliff rose and will reveal a lot about the current quality of the winter range and the current condition of the deer herd on the Kaibab.

Amanda

Amanda,

Thank you for the report. I suppose a great deal of thanks should go to the Buckskin Chapter.

Was the other data presented at your meeting? Is it available?

Doug~RR

It sounds like this is a step in the right direction. I know the ADA has been struggling with the G&F for many years on how the Kaibab is being managed. Hopefully this will help get it back on track. Well this and perhaps some healthy rain and snow levels.

Amanda,

Thank you for the report. I suppose a great deal of thanks should go to the Buckhorn Chapter.

Was the other data presented at your meeting? Is it available?

Doug~RR

Yes, the Buckskin chapter has some people very dedicated to this project and they have spent years pushing for change on the Kaibab.

No, the other data wasn't presented. I believe the final report which will include the other data is due out in June. They did talk about about some of the habitat projects that are ongoing which are part of an overall effort to improve deer habitat on the winter range.

Amanda

I think there are many many people to thank in this equation. ADA has fought with this issue for many years, went to numerous commission meetings etc. etc... Pete Cimellaro, Kevin Harris, Mark Bool are names that pop in my head over the last 10 years who have put countless hours of meeting and re-hashing this issue. I am upset that someone like Todd Buck who spends so much time up there could not have been more of a help in this issue years ago. I believe he is still the game manager for that unit. Anyway, a great big thanks to all involved in this. It will really help the deer and the sportsmen to correctly manage this great area................Allen.........