I hope someone on this site can help me out. Im graduating From N.A.U this may and my major is Wildlife Management. My goal is to become a Game and Fish Warden hopefully in the future. My passion is hunting, being outdoors and helping others harvest animals. I was hoping someone might know of an outffiter that might need some help guiding. I was talking with Brain Latturner who runs MonsterMuleys.com and he has a friend in Alaska who needs help, but if I have the chance to stay in Arizona with my family i'd rather do that. I have much experience helping family and friends take trophy class animals and i'd love to help other hunters as well. If anybody has any info they can throw my way it would be much appreciated. Thank you and good hunting.

Mark Montoya

Mark

Just curious, are you related to Lawrence Montoya who works with USO?

Mark, just a word of the wise for ya... I was in your exact same shoes a few years back. I was going to be a warden as well. But, when you think about it, if your passions in life are hunting and fishing, you'll be doing nothing but working your tail off during those times of the year when that is the LAST thing you'd want to be doing. At least thats what all the wardens told me back home. Just a heads up for ya on that end of of the career choice. As for me, I finally decided against it and went with a Federal Agency instead (BP). And thats how I ended up here in AZ from west TX!!

Good luck,

Scottyboy

Thanks for the heads up scottyboy.......how are you liking the Border Patrol....like i said i'm graduating this may, so anything right now sounds good as a career. Can you throw me a little info on what you had to do to become a B.P officer. And are you able to get time off to head to the hills or what.. thanks

Mark

Mark, I would become a member of Arizona Deer Association for 25.00 and start going to meetings and network with people. Most everyone in ADA could help you out with contacts etc. Secondly I would contact outfitters and offer your camp help probably for free initially until they know your capabilities......I would make sure you have all the glass, tripods etc.......hunting stuff you will need to be self sufficient for the outfitter..........Volunteer for habitat improvement work that groups like ADA have going on right now.....anyway getting involved will help open doors for you........Allen Taylor........

Southpaw,

Congratulations on nearing your degree. I encourage you to seek out being a wildlife manager for AZ. We need more of them that truely love hunting and the wildlife out there! As far as guiding, you may need to volunteer some time to get in with a reputable service, but don't let a few of those "big name" guides in your area abuse you and your time for pennies because they will. You also want to avoid just hooking up with any guide service because there are more and more questionable guides surfacing. Give me an email if you want to talk more: buglemaz@aol.com

Southpaw,

Have you done any intern jobs with the Game Department while in college?? You might want to look at the Arizona Game and Fish right away, versus spending time guiding........if you are woods wise and have good people skills you might even get hired as a game warden right away if your degree is in wildlife or a closely related field. The game department has been hiring lots of new rangers lately and are probably going to hire more. If they are not interviewing/hiring right away, there are usually other jobs you can get in the mean time until they hire again. Good luck,

C-1.

Southpaw,

P.S. Scotty boy is incorrect,........You can get time off to hunt, there are lots of game wardens out there to work hunts, and they dont all get drawn, just like the rest of us.

C-1

Now I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm incorrect. One of my best friends is a Game Warden back home in west TX and that poor soul only gets a few days,AT MOST, per season to hunt. The rest of his time is filled working. That is what Wardens are there for! To enforce game and fish laws. Those laws are going to be needed to be enforced everyday of the year, but more so during specific seasons when there are more of the general public using that resourse that available to them in that said time frame. That being hunting season !! Now I don't know how they do it here in AZ, but I'm willing to bet you're gonna be working in that timeframe a helluva lot more than you'll be hunting! I'd put money on it!

I'm not trying to presuade the man to not go into the Warden bussiness. I'm only passing on info that I get from a good friend of mine who I speak with almost daily that does it for a living. heck, I was going to be one as well. I even went to college for it.

Southpaw,As for me getting to go to the field in my career, I quail hunted just about once a week for the entire season! And I took a week off for the coues tag I had. Also went home for a week and went Pronghorn hunting.If ya want to hunt, just save your time off, and use it at your leasure.

Good luck in whatever you choose,

Scottyboy

Southpaw,

A trip to Alaska might not be all bad. The Dall Sheep Season up there starts in July/August. You could guide for Moose, Bear, Sheep. In September move down to Arizona/Idaho/Montana/Wyoming/Colorado/Utah/Nevada etc and guide for mule deer, elk, antelope. November you could come home to Arizona and hunt deer/elk. And move to Mexico for the January hunt and guide for Mule Deer and Coues. You would be hunting for pay for better than 6 months of the year. Something that most of us just dream of.

Dean

Scottyboy,

I'll stand by my statement,....you're wrong. No offense taken please. There are enough game wardens in Arizona to cover for the lucky one that gets drawn for a choice tag every now and then. I'm speaking only about Arizona Officers, I don't know too much about Texas or any other states. Remember one thing, most or all Game and Fish officers got into the business for one reason, the love of the outdoors and hunting and fishing, Oh.....I forgot the part about the BIG Bucks they make......so they do get time off to hunt.

C-1

The people that don't get to hunt are the taxidermists!

Mike

And if you never want to hunt for yourself just become a guide/outfitter. They told me this coming into it but I had to see it for myself. I'll be go to heck if they weren't right!!

Josh