iwannakillsomething

mormons and big love

Azmeathunter,

I believe in eternal truthes as well. I think all religions believe that they have the truth. Not everyone believes in the same truths. That is why there are thousands of churches, religions, and theoligies around the world. Endless wars are fought over "truth." My point is that I don't think it is in the best interest of this site to start a "religious war" especially in a forum reserved for Prayer Requests.

I am glad that you have found "truth" that brings meaning to your life. I am sure it was hard to leave the religion that you were brought up in.

I come from the opposite spectrum. I was not raised in the LDS church. When my father was killed in a plane crash while scouting for an elk hunt when I was 14 I struggled, but the "truth" that I found held me cope and brought meaning to my life. Because of what it has given me I am enjoy sharing with others, but not if they don't want to hear.

I am sorry that you don't believe in "let's all get along" because I think that is a pretty Christian principle.

I am also sorry that we can't get away from stereotypical statements on this site.

"It ALWAYS seems that when the word "mormon" is whispered, shouted, or said on this site, the hackles immediately go up and all the LDS members go into their scrum formation and want to take on all the nay-sayers at the drop of the hat."

Hey Brian, thanks for unlining those words I wrote. I musta forgot to put the emphesis.. Glad you caught that... So, fill me in on what I stereptyped in that comment? I was mearly commenting on what Ive seen in the last 5 years when the odd arguement or disscussion of religion comes up on here. So what's stereotypical about that?

All you did by doing that is re-enforce what I said.. When the LDS religion is even mentioned, the members of that church go onto the offensive on this site!! GUILTY AS CHARGED!! Relax dude.. Nobody is bagging on your beliefs here!

If I am guilty of trying to keep the peace on the site, stand up for what I believe in, and stand up against hurtful stereotypical statements then I am OK with being guilty. I never said anyone was bagging on my beliefs, in fact I said that opposite. "I am LDS and don't feel like your post was attacking or misunderstanding and I won't argue with your points."

brian,

trust me. i am not trying to start anything but there is absolute truth.your right about reserving this fourum for prayer as our country needs it more than ever!!!.loving another as i love myself is different than "can't we all just get along" the anti-christ wants us all to "just get along" one world government ect....

plus i need to focus my energy on the draw results...lol

azmeat

Scottyboy,

I believe that anytime you use the words "all" or "always" when you are speeking about a group you run the risk of being stereotypical. Charactarizing all people in a group as being the same way is stereotyping.

It is like saying "All hunters are good people" or "hunters always do the right thing" or "no hunters respect wildlife."

All of the statements are true about some people in the hunting group but not entirely true about hunters as a whole.

Just like saying "mormons are good people" is not true of every Mormon.

I myself have never responded to any other LDS topic on this site and there many LDS people on this site that have not so I feel that your statement, "It ALWAYS seems that when the word "mormon" is whispered, shouted, or said on this site, the hackles immediately go up and all the LDS members go into their scrum formation and want to take on all the nay-sayers at the drop of the hat." is stereotypical and disrespectful.

Your skin seems mighty thin on this subject...

That's your opinion on the matter.. I'm OK with that.. But that's MY opinion on it as well. You wont ever change my perspective, just as I wont yours.. Only difference is is that you sound as if you're TRYING to do just that.

My comments were just that. Observations Ive noticed when the mormon religion is included in disscussion on here. Here's another OBSERVATION for you. Ive never seen the Hindus, Catholics, Islamics, Protestants, Presbyterians, Buddists, etc on this site get into this kind of "disscussion" over their religions on this site.. And yet Ive seen this kind of "disscussion" brought up on more than 1 occassion on here in the past.. Again, thats MY observation!

Thats why its best to leave the disscussion of politics and religion to a face to face talk.

Then again, I've got all day..... This is one topic where my red blooded Republican self leans out to the liberal side.

I am not trying to change your opinion on religion in the least. Just asking for respect on the site, but your right, if you don't want to be respectful that is your choice. I am done here.

did i mention this forum would be best saved for prayers? and that man.. our country needs it bad right now.?? ;)

and that negitive energy might effect my sons 18a rifle antelope agt he is going to get..ah ha :blink:

I respect this site just fine, thank you very much. I'm glad you're done though. I'm growing tired of you trying to throw dirt on me under the guise of this topic. I'll say it one last time. I've never disrespected anyone on here. If YOU took it that way, that's your problem.

This thread was started by a blanket statement regarding a site member's religion. This is my first encounter with this issue on the site, but there are some obvious correlations with Scottyboy's observations and what this thread has already revealed. If someone feels its necessary to come on the prayer request thread and open a can of worms when neither provoked or questioned previously by anyone on the site, well, then let's take those worms and GO FISHING!

Is a white elephant brown? No.

Was polygamy something that happened a long time ago? No, not really, as far as it relates to Mormons anyways.

Mormon polygamy started shortly after mormonism's "official" inception in 1830. Keep in mind, that was less than two hundred years ago, 179 years if I can add. Joseph Smith took a certain Fanny Alger, age 16, as his first 'second' wife in 1832. Doctrine and Covenants 132, the official LDS revelation on polygamy, was given in 1843, at which point Joseph Smith had acquired a harem of at least twelve verifiable wives. This became the norm for most men in the church, with Brigham Young advocating at least three wives to be an appropriate number after the mormon sojourn to Utah. In 1890, LDS Wilford Woodruff issued a personal recommendation against mormons engaging in polygamy in response to the American government's ultimatum to either renounce and disavow polygamy or suffer confiscation of the unfinished temple in SLC. Conveniently, since this was issued by Woodford and not God, Mormons could continue to engage in the practice, as long as it was in secret (before you argue this, check the facts, check the history, yes it still went on, prior to the FCLDS). A second, more stern manifesto was issued in 1904 by Joseph F. Smith, and gave an order to excommunicate those persons involved in plural marriage. Oddly enough, Heber J. Grant, who was successor to Smith in 1918, had previously had three plural wives, though only one was still alive at his presidency. It was at this time that the FCLDS began to take shape, as large groups of excommunicated mormons practicing polygamy joined together. Polygamists left the LDS church to join the FCLDS all the way through WWII. The FCLDS looks and operates today exactly the same way as the LDS church looked for the first 70 or so years. The only difference is they have remained true to their revelations and sacred texts while the LDS church has compromised in an effort to assimilate into mainstream American society.

Worms is gud eatin' eh?

Scottyboy raises some legitimate questions, and in wolf-like manner is swamped, however discretely, by posts in regard to his questions. This is a poor approach to apologetics for whatever religion one might have.

So, if its appropriate to use this forum to make blanket statements about a religion, then I'll assume its appropriate to address those statements in like manner. Keeping in mind, that a statesmanlike, respectful manner is most winsome and appropriate, I'll continue to try to act accordingly. Nevertheless, a white elephant, well, its pretty white.

Hey guys I just heard the results were up!!!

:ph34r: sorry!

I hope I don't offend when I say this, but this is my opinion.

The only reason you see religions defended is because they are of man. I don't need to defend God! I really don't much care for churches, they are a place for fellowship which is good for some, but not for me. My heart is where I believe God is with me, I believe God is all powerful and needs no defense, man does, a church does, a religion does, God doesn't; God will defend me, God will comfort me, God doesn't ask nothing of me but my faith, all others do. This is a prayer forum, isn't it for us to ask of each other to ask God to help us or someone in need, as I said, God needs no defense from man, he needs faith. I have lots of faults, but I believe in God with all my heart, and that is all I think I need.

I for one would like to see this thread lighten up, especially because it really has no place here in this forum or on this site for that matter. Nothing good ever comes from discussions/debates such as this, nobody will change their mind or change someone elses...it's pointless.

I always have and will always be a "mormon" and I’ll never apologize or try to justify our beliefs. I want to thank those on this site who are being respectful about this topic.

I think it is interesting how the topic of the mormon church can raise such a hot discussion but it is what it is. I’m sorry for those of you who feel that the mormon church tries to push our beliefs down your throat, especially those pesky missionaries :P which I was one and proud of it but we feel strongly about our beliefs and want to share it with others. I for one will not push my beliefs on anyone but if you want to know more I’ll tell you but I respect you if you respect me.

Back to the original topic I would like to add that that show is ridicules and I hope you see that we view is as disrespectful because its not the “mormons” though that’s the way it comes across. I personally view it as an attempt to insult a way of life regardless of my religious beliefs. I have to compare it to all ours passion of hunting. I feel that hunting is a part of who I am and when someone attacks our passion I take offence and we all get up in arms when they do.

post-1770-1237946830.jpg

I guess what I’m trying to say is that don’t make conclusions without understanding all the fact and for goodness sake lets all have a little respect regardless of our differences. And thanks you all for being respectful.