iwannakillsomething

mormons and big love

i was talking to a friend online from back east when he asked me about the show big love.. he asked me because i am mormon and am proud of the fact that i am.... anyways i would like to let everyone on here know that even though the peple on there and the news are saying the people on big love are mormons they are not... they are F.L.D.S I AM L.D.S and the pilligamist are R.L.D.S. that little letter in front of it does make a difference and if you have questions or concernserns about what mormons do or why they do it pm me or talk to some one you know who is mormon. you know mormons and might not relixe it by the way... sorry for saying all this just needed to vent....

-Tanner

um..ok, I'll take that bite..

If you're proud to be a mormon(which is fine), can the same be said to the effect of being proud of NOT being mormon and not get jumped all over?? Because you are proud of your religion doesnt mean I want it shoved in my face.

Nowadays the mormon church "condems" polygamy in their books, but weren't the mormons run out of New England in the late 1800's because of that very belief??

Doesn't look to me like he shoved anything in your face. In fact he mentioned in the topic line that his post was about Mormons. If you didn't want to read it you could have eaisly ignored the post.

I also was babtized in the LDS church. I think it doesn't matter what religion you are there is always some people that criticize your religion from what the news says. The way I look at it is that we are all created equally. Don't ever let anyone get you down and always stand up for yourself. ;)

Mormons are good folks--that show is just that a show and just like this post if you don't want to see it or read it then don't turn it on or don't click on the post.

My daughter watches that show because she thinks it is funny but she, like me, was baptized in the LDS church and she knows more about the church than some of these producers ever will. Most folks do not have a clue what the beliefs are in the church so they are a little bit nervous when someone mentions the "M" word--and just like some other things people don't know about they have a tendency to shy away and criticize.

Touchy subject for some--

"Scottyboy Posted Today, 03:26 AM

um..ok, I'll take that bite..

If you're proud to be a mormon(which is fine), can the same be said to the effect of being proud of NOT being mormon and not get jumped all over?? Because you are proud of your religion doesnt mean I want it shoved in my face.

Nowadays the mormon church "condems" polygamy in their books, but weren't the mormons run out of New England in the late 1800's because of that very belief?? "

it wasnt england it was illionos and other states baack east... in a free country!!!

but i am not here to start a fight i was just putting it out there so ppl who had questions could ask

sorry for hitting a soft spot with some

IWKS...

I see what you are saying... I have been spending alot of time in Salt Lake and most of my buddies from that area are Mormon... I feel bad for them because even though they don't practice the polygamist lifestyle the question ALWAYS gets brought up... I guess people are always in a hurry to stereotype and judge...

J

I'm a proud mormon as well AND no one is trying to push anything.....just trying the clear the water for anyone that doesn't know. One of the biggest problems with anything in our society (not just religion) is IGNORANCE. I think all "iwannakillsomething" is trying to point out is "the facts". Don't believe everything you see and read.

TAM-Good point and very level headed as always.

Look on the church website and it gives you an answer to how to deal with Hollowood and their depictions of our beliefs.

It is good to stand up for what you believe in and fight for what you feel is right. Try not to dwell on the issue that Hollowood is making; in reality it is a very small portion of people that watch the show and eventually, this will go away. If people are that naive to pass judgement over a fake TV show, let them be sucked into the trap.

Yes ScottyBoy, polygamy is something that occurred long, long ago. The Faith and Beliefs of the Latter Day Saints no longer follows this practice and is something that is highly frowned upon. The human race can and should learn from history. It has been stated earlier that it was not being shoved down in your face and I sincerely hope you can understand this. We as a church do not wish to push nor shove our beliefs upon people. Man has free agency and this is something that we highly honor.

Coues79

To clarify:

Polygamy is not condemned in the Mormon Church, whether the FCLDS or LDS. In the LDS church it is accepted as common revelation that due to American laws polygamy is not to be practiced anymore in this life. But it is the new and everlasting doctrine of eternal and plural marriage, meaning that it was recieved as a revelation from God to behave in such a way. Apparently God changed his mind about polygamy in an effort to help the church survive politically tumultuous times. LDS doctrine states polygamy will be the way of life for those in a state of exaltation in the celestial kingdom. Even God himself, according to mormon doctrine, has wives, not just a wife. Also, mormons were kicked out of New England on a variety of issues even before the polygamy subject came up in Illinois, mostly surrounding perjury and fraud charges against their leader of the time: Joseph Smith. If ignorance is a problem in this society, let's address it from both perspectives.

So, keep the facts straight. I'm sure this will be perceived as attacking and a misunderstanding or oversimplification of things, but as scottyboy said, "I'll take that bite." I know a little bit about theology, and if people want to talk about it on a hunting site, well that's fine by me. But I'm gonna call a white elephant a white elephant.

Mr. Jonathon,

"I'm sure this will be perceived as attacking and a misunderstanding or oversimplification of things."

I am LDS and don't feel like your post was attacking or misunderstanding and I won't argue with your points.

I would like to attempt to control this topic before it gets out of hand and people are offended using the following points.

1. I am sure that there are many different religions and faiths represented by the members of this forum. I don't beleive that we wan't to get into a conversation about "wierd" doctrinal beliefs or "dirt" on churches because every church or faith has them and it could get ugly fast.

2. We need to be careful with stereotyping because general statements like "mormons are good people" or anything stating the character of an entire group are rarely true.

3. Finally, although we may share different religious beleifs on this site we do all share a common love for hunting, the outdoors, and wildlife. Too often we focus on our differences that drive us apart instead of creating the unity to stand up against those that fight to destroy our sport.

Thanks for reading and let's make sure we remain respectful of peoples most charished and sacred beliefs whether we agree with them or not.

brian,

thats weird thats similar to the reponce i get when the missonarys come by my house and i ask them if the want to talk "truth"? see the problem lies in there is absolute truth about eternal things and the "how about we all just get along" attitude may lead some people to a place they never want to go. i fully belive in comon grounds as far as hobbies and interests but when it come to the eternal a person better be standing on the right "ROCK".not trying to start a "spitting match" but being raised mormon(not by my choice) then finding the "TRUTH" i had to interject.

azmeat

"although we may share different religious beleifs on this site we do all share a common love for hunting, the outdoors, and wildlife. Too often we focus on our differences that drive us apart instead of creating the unity to stand up against those that fight to destroy our sport.

Thanks for reading and let's make sure we remain respectful of peoples most charished and sacred beliefs whether we agree with them or not."

Excellent post. :)

--Bill

I wasn't offended at all with his post whatsoever.. I just said that to prove a point.. and isn't what I said just reciting the truth of the LDS past??

It ALWAYS seems that when the word "mormon" is whispered, shouted, or said on this site, the hackles immediately go up and all the LDS members go into their scrum formation and want to take on all the nay-sayers at the drop of the hat.. I never once mentioned any ill towards the original poster or his beliefs. Not once. Just because I'm not mrmon, and never will be, doesn't mean that I'm the boggie man out to spread the devil's gossip and steal and eat your children when you look away!!! Geezz guys!

Remember the "foul language" post?? Same thing!!

iwannakillsomthing.. remember, what you posted onto the WORLD WIDE WEB is going to be read by anyone in the whole world. There are ALOT of folks out there who AREN'T mormon. But in the same light, it IS what alot of America has in the backs of their minds about the religion..Thus the show. Its all about being a money maker for them. They WANT to exploit that misinformation..

And TAM, his post was directed towards non mormons.. Thus the reason I opened it and replyed. Had the post been for all the mormons, wouldn't he just have been "preaching to the choir", so to speak on a topic they already knew all to well?? His post WAS to be opened by us non mormons to "teach" us about what the show BigLove is trying to convey.. But thanks for your "help" anyways.

BTW, last I checked, NEW England IS in the United States..Had a heckuva football team the last, um, 10 years or so if I recall correctly.