Sign in to follow this  
gonhntn

Blue Grouse

I know that it's still many months away but i am wondering if any of you hunt blue grouse in Arizona or NM? I have seen some in the Gila here in NM but it was a long ways in the wilderness. I have heard that there are some in the Big lake area. My dogs and I are getting anxious.

Thanks, Gonhntn

Stan, Can I pull a Sargent Schulz and say "I knowww nnnuutttthhhing"

I did not get to go last year to the North Kaibab. I guy I have hunted up there with the previous two years said G&F had done a lot of trapping last year in the area we hunt to transplant grouse to the Mogollon Rim.

I have not hunted grouse in the White Mountains. Last fall's trip to Big lake turned into a fly fishing trip only.

Doug~RR

Sargent Schulz????? :blink: Now that's seriously OLD SCHOOL Doug!!!! You have to be of a certain age (which I am.....) to appreciate that analogy!! :lol: :lol: One of the best shows of all time, IMO!!!

Good luck on the grouse Gonhntn! They're a litte scarce...

S.

:)

Sargent Schulz????? :blink: Now that's seriously OLD SCHOOL Doug!!!! You have to be of a certain age (which I am.....) to appreciate that analogy!! :lol: :lol: One of the best shows of all time, IMO!!!

S.

Stanley, <_<

I take offence to that!!! :P I am WAY younger (than Doug) :blink: and I loved that Show!!! Watched it everyday with my Grandfather as a child!! Col. Hogan was, Da Man!! ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

Doug,

You didn't get enough tongue and slobber into your " Nah-ah-thhhh-ING!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

They're up there, butcha gotta work for 'em here in AZ.. Here's one from the north side of the ditch from way back in 2005!

bluegrouse1.jpg

I found LOTS more of them in MT than in AZ when I lived up there for that season.. The cool thing was in MT, in the mountains, you could, and usually would, get Spruce and Ruffed grouse as well..

They are a blast to hunt though!!

That's sweet Scotty. Yeah I am training my dogs a couple times a week in the event that I don'tget a elk tag in September. I love bowhunting but as I get a bit older the dogs and birdhunting is getting more and more into my blood. I have a couple english pointers and two shorthairs that keep me busy. Hop to get to the grouse woods soon.

gonhntn

That sure looks like it would be fun. Didn't know the G&F was trapping on the Kaibab but I know they have been trapping in Utah for some bird the past couple of years.

S.

Stanley, <_<

I take offence to that!!! :P I am WAY younger (than Doug) :blink: and I loved that Show!!! Watched it everyday with my Grandfather as a child!! Col. Hogan was, Da Man!! ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

Doug,

You didn't get enough tongue and slobber into your " Nah-ah-thhhh-ING!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

ME TOO <_<

I watch it and then BAAARNEEEY every night before I go to sleep

Opie is about to get into trouble tonight, its a must watch :rolleyes:

Beats the crap out of the stuff you guys are watching :D

Besides our cable service leaves a bit to be said for :(

I've seen them quite a few times higher up on Escadilla Mtn. My dad and Grandpa used to kill them for dinner while hunting deer way back when.

I went up to North Kaibab last year and only saw 2 of them, Feathered one real good but never found it. The area was VERY thick and steep.

We didn't have any dogs either though.

Had a blast, beautiful country!!!!!!!

I saw several in the blue wilderness last week. I see them on one paticular ridge just about every time I go in there.

Forgive me for resurrecting an old thread.

I've hunted grouse in the White Mountains for several years. You can find them up on Escudilla Peak, and in the area South of Big Lake, and in the Burro Mountains a little NW of Big Lake. They're scarce. There are also several on the Apache Res. but you'll need to get a special Res. permit to hunt there. Be ready for lots of hiking at high altitude, bring water. They're hard to find and a lot of work, but great fun and really good eating.

They are much more common in Colorado, I used to get several while elk or deer hunting. My sons would pot them with a .22.