Snapshot

Unit 27 trip - Updated

Arrived Monday Morning at 9:00 a.m

Taking a break up at HL saddle rest area

Found 2 whitetail resting under a tree up at 4 Bar. They are under the juniper in the center of Pic. One was a buck with fuzzy nubbins.

Set up camp down at lower Juan Miller campground. You can't see much from there but it is shady and peaceful in the bottom of the canyon

Took the quad up a jeep trail for miles in to the backcountry towards the back side of HL Saddle around the big mountain in the background.

Came across a stock tank where 2 whitetails were getting a drink at 1:00 in the afternoon. You can just see their rear ends in the grass as they left. They did not like my quad for some reason ;)

From the stock tank you can see Red Mountain to the north.

Chillin and grillin in camp Monday night.

Tuesday morning I took a ride to the XXX Ranch, the old Fritz place, down on the blue. It is 14 miles from camp to the Blue River.

Paid my respect to Fred Fritz, a true pioneer of this area. I am not sure if posting this picture is appropriate or not, I will gladly remove it if it is not. There is a rich piece of Arizona history in this area.

The old Fritz place which is maintained by the USFS

I then continued over to the Stacey Ranch. This is a pic of the Blue River at F.R 475

When I reached the Stacey Ranch I was going to continue up the Coalson jeep trail, however, there were cattle on the other side of the gate and they were getting spooky from the quad, and I did not want to cause a problem on a private property pass thru so I turned around and headed back to a canyon that I wanted to check out.

The canyon was supposed to have a spring somewhere in it and maybe some resident elk. So I parked the quad and hiked up the canyon for about a mile and found the spring but no sign of elk.

I wonder if anything lives in this cave? it was high up on a cliff on top of the ridge.

I found the spring about a mile hike up the canyon

Here is a pic of Fritz canyon looking up toward Maple Peak.

Later that day I took the quad up 191 to check out a spot for turkey that I told someone about. I found this sorry mess that was left at a camp spot, probably for the junior hunt? The head, wing and feathers left behind for everyone else to deal with.

On my way back to camp I saw a deer bedded under a juniper about 300 yards off the road, so I decided to get closer for a pic and all heck broke loose as a dozen more deer that I did not see decided they did not like the intrusion on their turf.

Have a good time and be careful, don't forget to buy a bear tag before you go.

I am heading out Thursday morning for my Turkey hunt.

I'll be back on Wednsday. Are you going to be up in the high country? Good Luck!

Have a good time and be careful, don't forget to buy a bear tag before you go.

I am heading out Thursday morning for my Turkey hunt.

I'll be back on Wednsday. Are you going to be up in the high country? Good Luck!

We are going to camp in the N O Bar mesa area.

I just got back tonight. Should have some pictures posted tommorrow.

I camped down at Juan Miller, and the turkeys were hanging out and gobbling down in the creek bottoms,early and late in the day. Had a turkey gobbling good about 75 yards from camp.

Put about 90 miles on the quad, went up for some R&R and came back tired. Gotta love it!

You going to have them pics up soon? Love that area! Sounds like a good time.

Great pics. Thanks! I just love that are. Used to camp by the Fritz place on bear hunts.

I love that Fritz ranch. I was hoping to organize some friends to go add a layer of paint to it since it seems to be falling into disrepair. Hate to see it weather away.

Amanda

Looks like you had a good trip, that is some beautiful country.

--Bill