Sign in to follow this  
GodIsGood

Jr's turkey - Grant's first yote

My boy Grant went on his first turkey hunt in Unit 8. Anyway, we only had Saturday and Sunday to hunt [for now], and roosted an awesome flock of birds - but after the fly down and the gobblers were beginning to make their way towards Grant and me... a friggin' yote comes trotting between us and the Toms stopped coming our way. We conversed and later pursued them-thar birds for about 2hours and took a mid day siesta.

Later that afternoon me and G went to cover more ground and low and behold - we found a small flock including some beards - and actually saw them b4 they saw us! But we were in the middle of a shrub-less meadow with 120yrds betweenst us and the birds. All I could think to do was lay down in the tall grass, set my boy up prone with his shotgun atop my backpack in the direction of the birds. Laying in the grass we were well concealed and I had ample time to set up two decoys a few yrds away from G... and I belly-crawled about 10 yards away and behind him.

I started to call [still a rookie], but it wasnt 5 minutes when a BIG and blond yote came hard charging towards the decoys and my son! I didnt want to bust the birds, but I've heard not-so-good stories about close encounters with yotes and didnt want my son hurt or freaked out - so as the yote slowed and started jumping higher to see thru the grass - I yelled to my son that he had coyote company and to blast him! Grant wheeled his great grampa's old .20G Remington and blasted that yote in the vitals with one shot about 12yrds - not a far shot but the dog was moving and it is G's official first kill - so I am as proud and as thankful as ANY dad EVER!

Me and G relaxing in the sun:

IMG_0832.jpg

Boy meets yote:

IMG_0839.jpg

Who's the big dog now?! I hope it was the same dog that busted our birds that morning!

IMG_0843.jpg

Kurt

It was both a blast and an privlege to have taken you and Grant out, I am so looking foward towards your elk hunt, I am pretty postive that yote is the same one who messed us up that morning, at least he wont do it again,

Thanks for the kind words

R L

Way to go Grant! You nailed him!

I have seen quite a few yotes come in when trying call in a gobbler. I always thought it would be fun, if you didn't get drawn for a tag, to practice your turkey calling and whacking yotes at the same time. I've never done it because I was worried that G&F would try to ticket me for hunting turkeys without a tag, even if I were using a centerfire.

Mark

He speaks turkey, because he's part turkey. Take him jackass hunting, and he'll really put on a show. :P :lol: :lol:

Way to go Grant!!! That is a great looking yote!! Also... way to step up RL, you are a stand up guy for all you do!!!!!