Sign in to follow this  
Lance

WHAT HAVE WE BEEN UP TO? House Rock Buffalo Hunt

What did Jon say it was like to be closely surrounded by the bulls?

What is the story how the A-Bolt came with a take-down stock?

Exciting tale so far!

RR

The third day we split up and made a hunt into the area we figured the bulls went. The area was a few miles from where we had first seen the bulls and in the total opposite direction. Like most wild animals, it's not uncommon for buff to button hook and go a totally different way then they started out.

Jon and I took Dennis and half circled the area keeping our wind good and checking for tracks leaving out then cut through the middle about an hour after we sent Russ Richard and Andrew sneaking in from an old logging road from the far side.

post-669-1241103762_thumb.jpg

Sleep was found quickly during small breaks! ;)

post-669-1241103842_thumb.jpg

A little fun with the cammera during a brunch break

post-669-1241104334_thumb.jpg

When we got deep in the area it was clear the buff were near and still around! It was soon evident that they were close by some where so we slowed down our hunt and searched every nook and cranny. We weren't far from Russ but the wind covered up the shot. The stalking silence was broken with Russ on the radio screaming "We got him! We got a big one and he died in the logging road!" He was sure to mention the most important part- "He died in the logging road!" When you have packed several buff out of deep canyons and rough places having one dying in a road is a true Halalula moment believe me!

Sure enough, it was a group of 7 bulls, Russ told us where the rest of the bulls were headed and we quickly hooked around and tried to intercept the rest of the herd but to no avail they slipped by unseen but we were realy close! :ph34r: Jon and Dennis continued on the trail for a while longer and I headed to Russ to get started on the bull. We had decided to only hunt 3/4 of the day cause we were planning on leaving early in the am and wanted to make sure we had time to care for a buff before time to go. The bull we had went down at 12 noon so Jon and Dennis didn't hunt much longer and came to join us after a while. Did I mention it died in an old logging road?! :rolleyes: Emotions were high and many trophy pictures were taken.

What did Jon say it was like to be closely surrounded by the bulls?

What is the story how the A-Bolt came with a take-down stock?

Exciting tale so far!

RR

Jon said it was a little nerv racking, :unsure: but if you ask me the man has nerves of steel cause he was taking pictures during the incounter! :blink: Jon is the MAN B) He said he didn't take as many pictures as he would have liked cause he couldn't get the flash to turn off :rolleyes: and he was worried he might spook them with the flash. You know, the plan worked great and Dennis was almost there but who knew those bulls would come and nibble on Jon"s shoelaces! :unsure: :lol: :P

as far as the A-Bolt, I guess he just wanted the take down stock so he could pack things tighter and more compact on the quad :rolleyes: ;)

Lance

Richard, Russ and Myself with Richard's B&C class House Rock Buffalo!

Richard made a perfect shot at 200 yards across a small canyon.

post-669-1241105302_thumb.jpg

Richard and his son Andrew

post-669-1241105654_thumb.jpg

post-669-1241105755_thumb.jpg

Richard with his first buffalo kill blood smeared on his face and happy as can be about it! :D

post-669-1241105955_thumb.jpg

Performing the clasic "TLO RIB BOLL"

Buff are a couple hundred pounds lighter in the spring than they are in the fall.

post-669-1241106800_thumb.jpg

Now, it may not look like it here but Casey at Casey's Processing did compliment us on how very clean our meat was.

post-669-1241107156_thumb.jpg

Did I mention it fell in the road :P There was also a great patch of snow to lay the meat on as we pulled it off! This is a picture of the processing site where we skinned and deboned everything.

post-669-1241107404_thumb.jpg

Jon and I finnishing up the capeing job.

post-669-1241107684_thumb.jpg

post-669-1241108059_thumb.jpg

The Bull went down at 12 noon. We took pictures, caped the entire buff in one piece, quartered, and deboned everything, and had it all cooled, strapped down on the quads and ready to go by 4:30 including the heart, liver, tongue and oysters! All during beutifull snow flurry's

post-669-1241108206_thumb.jpg

This is a happy crew on the way back to camp loaded down with Buffalo!

post-669-1241108590_thumb.jpg

Back at camp in time to pack up what we could before dark in preporation for the AM ride out.

We settled in around the camp fire and and cooked up some oysters, Buffalo tongue and short loins! We planed ahead and I brought a grill for the fire and some steak seasoning! ;) It was good good good and everyone slept well with a full stomach and the smell of bufflao on everything! :rolleyes:

post-669-1241109090_thumb.jpg

post-669-1241109188_thumb.jpg

This is Jon cutting up Buffalo Tongue for the grill! Yum yum! It's awesome don't mock it tell you try it!

post-669-1241109427_thumb.jpg

Thanks! And thank Amanda for requesting I post the story

We got up at 3:30 the next morning and finnished packing up camp and got on our way. It was our coldest morning yet by far but no one cared ;)

We headed out and had a beutifull uneventfull ride stopping a couple times for group pictures.

post-669-1241110019_thumb.jpg

This is one of our stops on the way out. Everyone is giving the "Big Tatonka" sign! :lol: :rolleyes:

post-669-1241110088_thumb.jpg

We stopped for one last group picture just before we reached the trucks. This is the "Tatonka Crew" friends for life, with one tag filled and one to go! Dennis had a great time and can't wait to get back at it! We told him maybe we will bring an extra gun next time! ;) Actually we had an extra gun but it was back at the trucks and there was no goin back at the time. Once again like all others, it was another awesome House Rock Buffalo adventure! We are making plans for Dennis's buff and we all can't wait to get back at it! Every one had a great time on a grand adventure and I cant even begain to relay all the details and just skimmed the surface with this story. I hope you enjoyed it, we sure did!

post-669-1241112193_thumb.jpg

Lance Crowther

and the Buffalo Crew

Timberland Outfitters "Making Memories"

Many Congrats to Richard on his buffalo and Timberland for the work they did in landing it. Also for keeping the gang safe and returning them home to loved ones.

My father in law, Dennis, is very excited to get back up there and try and fill his tag.

cmc

Lance, These kinds of hunts are great after they're over and you reflect back. LOL! Looks like a good hunting group bonding. Congrats on the success and thanks for all of the wonderful photos.

WOW ;) Dang I have to say it again WOW that was a great story. That is just great you helped those poor people out. Congrats to the hunter for making a great shot and congrats to the guides for making it all happen. Good luck on the other hunt and make sure you write it up as well.

CONGRATS. ;)

What an epic road hunt... :D :P :ph34r: .....Just kidding.

Awesome pictures from the trip.

cmc

What an epic road hunt... :D :P :ph34r: .....Just kidding.

Awesome pictures from the trip.

cmc

I tell you what, it takes a real pro to get one to fall in the back of the truck ;) but some times the middle of the road will have to do! :rolleyes: :lol: :P hahaha Thanks!

Lance

Thanks for a great story.