Sign in to follow this  
CouesSlayer

Coues Or Muledeer

Now that you have to choose the species what will you choose since there are fewer quantities of Couesdeer in New Mexico?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Now that you have to choose the species what will you choose since there are fewer quantities of Couesdeer in New Mexico?

• Mule Deer
    • Coues

Now that we have to choose the species what will you do? I don't think they should make it like that since only 3 or four units have Coues in them let me know what you think.

Ya, We are all here strickin by coues fever....By the way, now if you put lion on the poll, maybe then would I consider that :D

I have deer hunted NM unit 23 for 3 of the last 4 years and this paticular unit is in some desperate need of attention. Too many hunters and lions, and the drought have taken there toll on the deer herds. The unit has incredible potiential for coues and even carp but just needs some time and good management to allow it to recover. I think the new regulations are great for unit 23 and are a step in the right direction for a recovery. By issueing separate tags for coues and carp it will allow the NM G&F to more effectivly manage the two deer species. Coues deer are a very limited resource in NM, but with proper management they will thrive and produce great antlers.

I think that they had to make the new regs like they did. In 23 there were way to many hunters and with the coues populations being low if they were targeted you could decimate the whitetail population easily. I am glad they went to a draw as it will allow the populations to recover and probably result in better antler quality and buck retention. Now I just wish they would go back to a draw where you have to put in the money up front. There are way to many YAHOOS out there on 4 wheelers cruising around and ruining the hunt for others. When I was in 23 2 years ago it was like a train of hunters. All of these BEM(booger eating morons) were practically caravaning down the road and hunting from vehicles. I hope it weeds these jerks out. Anyway I will choose coues,coues and more coues when I put in. AG

Coues deer. I really have not seen any muleys that were exceptional over there yet. I have seen several coues bucks and 1 shed that made me feel funny inside and gave me the shakes ;) .

Bret M.

I'm one of the ones that put in for muley/carp in NM Unit 23, but not because I favor muleys over coues. Actually, my AZ coues hunts have been more exciting and productive than my muley hunts. However, I was told that coues are in tiny pockets in the unit and that I would probably be seeing more muleys than coues. With this being my first time hunting in NM, I thought I would have a better chance getting into the carp (especially hunting by myself). Thanks to all those that have given me some help. I really appreciate it. I'll be sure to post info on how the hunt went (assuming I get drawn). Ken

Thanks for all the feedback! I personally went for coues myself, yes i know what the name of this site is (HAHAHA!) Goodluck in the draw!

Since I became a coues freak, I haven't put in for an Arizona mule deer tag in about 15 years - and I miss hunting them. About 5 years ago I started hunting NM mule deer with a buddy, and we have a blast. We hunt canyon land/sage country. This kind of huntin has its own unique flavor and it hurts when we don't get drawn.

So, I hunt Coues in AZ and Muleys in NM.

I like having my cake and eating it too.

Mike

I applied for both species; Nov 5-9 coues in unit 23 and Nov 5-9 muley in 2B. Although I have hunted coues more often, I enjoy hunting for both species.