krp

good friends and good fishing

Spur of the moment we grabbed some cloths and headed down. forget the swine flu, forget the drug wars, we're going fishing. Good friends, good food and great fishing. can't beat it.

th_fish530.jpg

Kent

Now that is what I call HUGE fish. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

The house and boat are my friend's, no such thing as a charter here.

Kent

Yellowtail on the barby dipped in butter, mmmm.

We fished 2 days. The first we were dropping jigs and just hammering the white sea bass, yellowtail, leopard grouper(Chardenair), small 30 lb gulf groupers, red snappers. Only keeping those that were hooked bad or like the 10 lb red snapper with all the chew marks on it, those that were mauled by something bigger as we tried to reel them in.

Day 2 we bring the big pole and stop to catch some sandbass for bait. Start with jigs again and slaying the fish again. After a few mauling we get out the big tackle and sandies. Caught 3 in a row, one for each of us. Less than 5 min on each drop before we hooked a fish. Kept 2 for the townfolks. Groupers, 70 to 80 lbers.

Went back to jigs and I had a decent fish on and then was mauled again about 40 ft off the bottom. I locked in and grabbed my reel so drag wouldn't go out, if he got to the rocks he would get my fish. After 10 mins and he hadn't let go I knew somehow the jig had caught the bigger fish, that's the 100 plus fish I reeled in on the second vid. Catch a fish and then catch the one that eats it.

Kent

I enjoyed the video! I fish when time allows on my boat in Rocky Point and San Carlos. Where at in Mexico did you launch from?

Kelney, I've promised not to say. I will say this, it's almost impossible to pull a boat into this area. You need to drive the boat over 100 miles on the water and then still get stuck with the truck pulling just the trailer. There are only a handful of Americans and no charters at all, might get someone to take you out in a ponga. You need to be setup long term here.

Kent

Wow, Kent those are no crappie! Congrats on a great trip, wherever it was.

KP

Kelney, I've promised not to say. I will say this, it's almost impossible to pull a boat into this area. You need to drive the boat over 100 miles on the water and then still get stuck with the truck pulling just the trailer. There are only a handful of Americans and no charters at all, might get someone to take you out in a ponga. You need to be setup long term here.

Kent

I wanna go!!! Come on Kent!!! I thought we were friends????? That sounds like a BALL!!! :rolleyes: ;) :P

Ken, you're right, those aren't crappie. The crappie bite should pick back up soon and I'll let you know when it does.

The Mexican shrimpers and trawlers haven't been dragging the bottom much the last few years and look what happens. Fish, the reefs aren't continually stripped and destroyed, imagine that.

Oh, I forgot, it was global warming.

Kent

Gino, I know what we'll do. There's enough abandoned pongas littered down there that everyone can go. We just need some outboards and some fiberglass repair kits for a few of them. It'll be an adventure.

Kent

Sounded like a great trip ... Seen the pictures of the grouper over the past weekend down at that place the old timers all like to hang out and brag....

Makes the San Carlos Crappies look like guppies ....

Str8shot, yea, some of those old guys down there know what they're doing. I can just see Keith down there holding court.

You know we fish alot and have had some tremendous catches. This trip was the best pure fishing I've ever been on. We released around 50 fish and the big ones like the groupers we had to tie mono to the fish and hook it on an anchor to get them deep enough so they would decompress and break off. The 100 lber we had to put 2 anchors on, I'm talking 25 lb anchors with a 10 ft heavy chain. We targeted 3 on purpose and I landed the mauler also, we quit going after the big ones because it was too hard on them and on us trying to revive them. We only fished 4 hrs max a day.

There's no place to launch a boat or dock it. You have to rely on the raised launcher to back you out in the surf and pick you up every time. There's only a few people that have boats needing launching and none were down there except us. The evening we arrived we stop at the launchers house and he's been gone 3 days, his brother will launch us in the early morning. Of course Mexican early time and our time is different. Drive around town, finally find him at 9:30.

DSC00519Small.jpg

"$20 dlls or equevalen Mexican Money" Classic

Of course when we get back everyone's gone and no one to pick us up. Keith and I swim in and drive around town again and find the original launcher that just returned with a tanker of water. Always an adventure.

This place has no power, running water, phone, a tiny market that the owner drives 60 miles of bad dirt road one way every couple days in his van to get stuff. The houses are shacks of plywood, plalets, tin, whatever. The people are themselves clean in their person and cloths, extreemly pleasant, seemingly happy. They have a small school for the few children. The store owner has solar power and satalite TV after dark out in the dirt patio. Usually a decent crowd watching TV every night. Their life is simple, I don't feel sorry for them, I envy them.

Kent