Sign in to follow this  
DubTee

New Tripod and Head Question

I am in the market for a new tripod and head. I have been doing some research on it but would like to get some feedback from all the experience that is around on this site. I have been upgrading my equipment, and now is the time for the tripod. I barely got by last year with just a cheapo aluminum tripod that came with our video camera, it was however extremely light and easy to use. I would like to mention that I am very tall (6'7'') and do all my glassing while sitting down as most tripods will not get tall enough for me to see through my glass without hunching over. I like the looks of the Jim White head as I don't like the pistol grip, but was wondering if the JW head is a fluid head and how important is a fluid head for that matter? It seems the manfrottos are the most popular, do they make a model that is medium heighth and light, but also sturdy enough for the claw I bought and would like to try out on it? Thanks for any and all replies.

Well i thought I couild help ya untill you said the calw. Bare minimum i would use a 700rc2 head. I have 2, lots of buddies have them too. I use 3 sets of legs, And always haul two, one video and one glassing. A manfroto 3001bn im 5-10 and its not tall enough unless I almost close the legs together. Great set of legs but they arent light. Ive had em for a long time. I recently got a slik 7014 set of legs recently. Lighter and taller and collapses smaller than the manfroto. Plenty tall for me standing up. I also have a lighter set that gets tall, just wont "kick out" I use those if im packin in way war and dont wanna haul 2 full sixe rigs. One of my buddies is probably 6-2 and just got a manfroto cx series thats super tall. It can be fully extended to way over my head and probably tall enough for you, barely. The problem with the whole set up is gonna be using the claw. THe 700Rc2 head isnt heavy enough i dont think. I know those guys recomend some heads for the claw. I dont think the jim white wouldnt do you much good either. THey are well built heads, im just no good with them. I would talk to the claw guys and see what they would recomend. Im sure they have used enough sets of legs and head to find a good combo that would work for you. Fluid head are very important for me. Absolutely necesary for me videoing something that moves. I think one of the benefits of the claw is to use a fluid head so you can follow something moving alot easier at longer ranges.

701HDV is the head you want ;) Put it on a solid Bogen tripod and you're all set.

701HDV is the head you want ;) Put it on a solid Bogen tripod and you're all set.

Yep.

A tripod head with the RC2 plate will wiggle as it is not secure enough. You want the Manfrotto 701 HDV head (or heavier 501 HDV) with use with the Claw. You may want to get an extra plate strictly for the Claw, remove the rubber strips, and epoxy the plate to the Claw. I found the Rubber strips on the plate allows for some movement.

In my tests, the 700 RC2 and the Velbon 157Q heads were not desireable with the Claw.

Doug~RR

Thanks for the suggestions. RR or soaz, I am assuming that the 701 is a regular style head and not the pistol grip and is it a fluid head? What would I expect to pay for that setup (701 head and a solid bogen or manfrotto tripod) with a couple of extra plates and where would be a good place to look for that kind of setup? Thanks again.

Correct and correct. "regular" style and fluid.

Check with "the Claw" guys to purchase one

Jay and Cade at the GunClaw can set you up with the Manfrotto tripod and head

http://thegunclaw.com/

Doug and Joel at CameraLandNY carry Manfrotto and should be able to set you up with excellent service. They list the 501HDV head, with is a little heavier than the 701HDV. Imagine that Joel might have it or can get it for you.

http://www.cameralandny.com/tripods/bogen....manfrotto501hdv

http://www.cameralandny.com/tripods/bogen....e=bogen190xprob

Amanda carries the Velbon Sherpa tripods in the CWT.com store

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/bookstore/tripods_adaptor.htm

Jim White may also have the Manfrotto heads and tripods. 928-635-5316

The 701 head is the one to get if you have a claw. I have a Velbon El Carmagne tripod that I really like. There are other good ones, this one is just light enough, tall enough and collapses way short for the pack.

I am going to get a Claw and 701 head from Jay this summer. You can actually use the 701 with the handle removed they are so smooth Jay tells me.

Played with them a lot at the NRA show this weekend.

Been checking out some tripods on ebay just to get a feel of what they look like. Anybody have an opinion on the manfrotto 190cx3, it is carbon, comes in around 2.9 pounds (no head)? I know it only gets up to about 58 inches, but in my situation I don't think any of them will be tall enough and if they can, they'd be too heavy/big to pack around all day. I'm thinking the 701hdv on the 190cx3 might be the combo for me, any opinions are welcome, thanks.

I finally took the plunge today on a new head and tripod. As suggested, I went with the 701 hdv, decided myself for a bogen 190xv tripod. Found what I thought was a pretty good deal on a camera site out of NY, $225 after rebate for the combination, no tax, free shipping. Got an extra plate for the claw, looking forward to getting her out in the field. Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone.

Well??? You take her out yet?

I picked up 3 claws and a 701 from Cade tonight. Will give them a whirl on PDs next week. I really think the bigger plate is important if you want to use the CLAW.

I haven't taken her outside yet, I did put the swaro's on the tripod and was glassing the park across the street. That 701 is SMOOTH, the 190 tripod will be perfect for me. I then slapped the claw on her and put the 17 cal in it (only gun I had around) and messed around a bit. I am excited to say the least to get that thing in the field, if you stay light when you get into the gun to aim, you can virtually eliminate any movement, except for that micro-movement that the claw guys describe. I was in NM on Friday looking at some property because of a bunch of landowner elk tags and we came across a prarie dog colony that looks like it needs eliminated. I have a feeling my 17HMR, bullets, tripod, and claw are going to be that colonies worst nightmare. :P