Sign in to follow this  
RoughCut

Do any Game & Fish Employees ever Proof Read the Regs.

I swear,every year it never takes long to find a goof in the Regs. How are the draw odds for the early 36b hunts in 2008 87% 97% 97% respectively when each of these hunts had leftovers?

how many people are going to look over 3-5 choices here because the regs say less than a 100 % draw?

Just Curious

It is confusing because they go by both first and second choice. They count a second choice that was drawn for their first choice before looking at their second choice, which happens alot, as an unsuccessful draw for that hunt #. Last year I drew my 4th choice, 24B oct. It showed a 90 something odds of drawing 1 and 2, I knew there would be tags falling into the lower rounds anyway and was able to get one.

RoughCut, you ask some great questions and I see you really studying what's going on, you will go far my friend.

Kent

I thought the published draw odds were based on first choice applicants only. Since there were leftover permits in 36B for the 3 early hunts, and everyone in looked at for their first and second choice in the 1-2 pass, it would seem that everyone putting one of those 36B hunts for first choice should have been drawn and should have been shown as 97%

The 87%, 97%, 97% is interesting.

But here is a possibility to explain this. People may have put those 36B hunts in for first choice, but drew their second choice in the 20% bonus pass. This would thus show the draw success for first choice applicants to be lesss than 100%

Drawing the second choice in the 20% Bomus Pass is a possibility even for those with enough BP for an easy to draw unit. Happens to some every year to those wihout enought BP for the first hunt and they wonder why they did not get their first choice when that hunt is a 100% draw. One can overcome this by putting in the same hunt number first and second choice.

Doug~RR

I thought the published draw odds were based on first choice applicants only. Since there were leftover permits in 36B for the 3 early hunts, and everyone in looked at for their first and second choice in the 1-2 pass, it would seem that everyone putting one of those 36B hunts for first choice should have been drawn and should have been shown as 97%

The 87%, 97%, 97% is interesting.

But here is a possibility to explain this. People may have put those 36B hunts in for first choice, but drew their second choice in the 20% bonus pass. This would thus show the draw success for first choice applicants to be lesss than 100%

Drawing the second choice in the 20% Bomus Pass is a possibility even for those with enough BP for an easy to draw unit. Happens to some every year to those wihout enought BP for the first hunt and they wonder why they did not get their first choice when that hunt is a 100% draw. One can overcome this by putting in the same hunt number first and second choice.

Doug~RR

Thanks for the comment Kent.

Red, I will have to read your post a few times. I am not sure what you mean.

My understanding, and I thought it was crystal clear till this moment, was that they took the number of tags in a unit and divided it by the number of first choice applicants to get the published draw odds.

In the case of the OCT. 36b there were 800 tags and 452 first choice applicants. ( 800/452= somwhere well over 100%)

Is this wrong???

EDIT: apparently I am wrong, that calculation doesn't hold up for any of the units. Confused..

ALSO: are you telling me that if someone has a reasonable amount of bonus points and draws their second choice in the Bonus Pass, they effectively never had a shot at their first choice????

I think I may remember someone discussing this before, but it just hit me.

I looked at 36B and see what you mean at least with 2 of the hunts

tags 1st & 2nd odds

36B Ant.WT 10/24-10/30 800 878 87 27

36B Ant.WT 11/7-11/13 800 777 97 23

36B Ant.WT 11/28-12/4 700 483 97 23

36B Ant.WT 12/12-12/31 40 733 6 74

You would think they would at least put 100% on the hunts that had less 1st and 2nd apps than tags.

I do know that many hunts that have more 1st & 2nd apps than tags do have spill over to the lower rounds because they are drawn for other hunts first. This 36B is odd though. I can't believe only 3% of those apps drew another hunt, should be higher.

Kent

Pretty retarded huh? You also need to consider those successful applicants whose funds were rejected. A couple of years ago there were leftover permits in a spring turkey hunt that I put down as my 2nd choice.......AND DIDN'T DRAW!!! Seems not only are we way behind the times in the system we've got, we're extremely inefficient!

hello - All that bonus point 1stchoice -2nd choice % this- that -- AHHHHHHHHHHH-- way to confusing to me -

I have been for the last 3 yrs. trying to get them to change a very simple item - it aint possible -- go to page 112 of the regulations - -this is under lawfull methods for taking wilfdlife - #9 turkey :

To take turkey:

a. Centerfire rifles;

b. Muzzleloading rifles;

c. All other rifles using black powder or synthetic

black powder;

d. Centerfire handguns;

e. Handguns using black powder or synthetic black

powder;

f. Shotguns shooting slugs;

g. Bows with a standard pull of 40 or more

pounds, using arrows with broadheads no less

than 7/8 inch in width with metal cutting edges;

h. Crossbows with a minimum draw weight of 125

pounds, using bolts with a minimum length of

16 inches and broadheads no less than 7/8 inch

in width with metal cutting edges;

i. .22 rimfire magnum rifles;

j. 5 mm rimfire magnum rifles;

k. .17 rimfire magnum rifles; and

l. Shotguns shooting shot.

we all know for several years now #g- and #l are the only lawfull methods of taking a turkey !!maybe #h - I've contact g&f several times = talked to several people - the only answer I can get is it needed to be voted on by the commission to change the wording in the regulations - It was suppose to happen before this printing - ooops - one would think once they passed -changed the law to only allow shot guns shooting shot - other than the bow season - that would be all it takes - ???????? come on game and fish - lets go -- proof read some of this stuff!!! Gary

Most of them are idiots and this crap shouldnt supprise anyone. Happens every year.

Did you proof read your post Mr. azoutlaw? I disagree with your "most of them are idiots" I am sure that you are "full of prunes." And "this crap" is a great comment. But, "shouldnt" and "supprise" need work. ;)

azoutlaw, what do you do that is so impressive that you can call others idiots?? It's easy to speculate when you aren't the one doing the job.

your right they are not idiots. Some of them are great people and do a wonderful job. But there are some that are dishonest and some that are plain ignorant. To each his own just my 2 cents, you dont have to like it. Not speculation just facts.

My two cents,

I think people should not point fingers and name call the Game and Fish just because of some issues that don't make perfect since. Last I checked, hunting in Arizona is a privilege NOT a right. Game and Fish may not always do things perfect, but they are the ones that keep hunting and fishing going, year after year. I just pray that by the time my two boy's can start hunting, they will have the same oporunties and passion as I did.

-Ryan