Sign in to follow this  
Kilimanjaro

05 Turkey pic

Here is a pic of the bird I took back home last week in TX. It was a good, fun hunt. I didn't have a chance to put any birds to bed the day before, so I just went right at daybreak in the general area of where they had been roosting on the ranch a couple of years before. Right at daybreak about 6 birds were sounding off and I went about 200 yards into their direction and set out my ol' faithful hen decoy and started letting 'em have it. Sure enough this dude couldn't stand that lonely hen calling out to him. He was strutting the whole way in until he was about 5 feet from the decoy and he saw me move my head! He was about to vacate the premisies pronto, but a load of #5's was already on its way. Good 3 year old bird... good spurs and an almost 11 inch beard. Not bad for a 30 minute first morning out hunt.

Lets see some birds from this spring....

Scottyboy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/sco...ix/turkey05.jpg

Great bird! Wish I had a turkey tag.....I did go out and get some video of some gobblers the other day. Turkeys are another of my favorite species.

Anyone other than Scottyboy get a bird?

Amanda

Nice bird Scottyboy!

Here's a photo of one I got in 6A last September with my bow while waiting for Mr. Coues to show up. The coues hunt turned into a turkey shoot! The coues never showed up.

Bowsniper

post-426-1113846884.jpg

Scott,

Congrats on that short order gobbler :angry: . I looked in the pic, but didn't see any bluebonnets. I take it you were near San Angelo. When I was back in Mathis, TX last spring, there were lots of tukeys out struuting in the fields. Sure was a sight. Too bad when I lived there, the rancher wouldn't let me hunt them.

I wouldn't mind making short work of a bird next weekend near Prescott.

Doug~RedRabbit

Them's nice birds boys. Here is a couple from Collbran, Colorado taken last weekend by my buddy and his friend.

DEANSTURKEY2.jpg

Doug, I was only about 10 miles away from Mathis field! The bluebonnets were everywhere, but just not right where I shot the bird. But those little yellow ones were everywhere too. It felt damned good to get back home to good ol Tejas for a few days of R&R. They've had so much rain this past year its unbelievable. There were more Bobwhites and Blues than I think I've ever seen before! Good luck on the AZ hunt next week. Give me a ring and tell me how ya did.

All the rest of them pics look good. Congrats to all. Gotta love those Merriams birds. One of these days, I'll try for another one of those. Its been a few years since I hunted those mountain toms.

Keep'em coming,

Scottyboy

Nice pic Scott!

My 10 year old and I are heading up to unit 23 this weekend to hunt. I can't wait!!! His first turkey hunt, and only my second..... We're heading-up to the same place my buddy took us to last year (he's coming along to call too), so hopefully we get into them.

Hopefully I'll have a story & pics by next week. :)

S.