Sign in to follow this  
gotcoues

Leupold 6-18x40

$649.99 Leupold Mark 2 Tactical T1 Rifle Scope 6-18x 40mm Adjustable Objective Mil-Dot Reticle Matte 1/4in. MOA

also availible for a bit less w varmint reticle

I have been looking at scopes for my new rifle and I'm leaning towards the this one. I picked up a Weatherby Vanguard 300 wsm in stainless and I'm getting a bit lost over picking a scope. I like both ideas of tactical and/or a ballistic mil-dot. I don't have much experience with higher end scopes and I'm hoping to prevent buyer remorse. This scope is in an acceptable price range for my budget and seems to have everything I could want or need minus maybe 50MM.

$629.99 Burris 6.5-20x50 Fullfield TAC 30 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope Mil-Dot Reticle 1/4 MOA

This one seems comparable to the Leupold

I would love some feedback and/or advice. I know a lot of you guys are very knowlegeable and would like to hear from you.

Very good scope.

BUT IMHO, 6 power is too high of a setting for the low end of a scope.

Dang I hate to agree with Casey since he hates me <_< :P

No real suggestion on this scope, but this place may save you some money when it comes time to buy one, Take Care, JLG.

http://www.samplelist.com/

No problem, I can't take credit for it, it was posted on another site I frequent. You can also try www.bearbasin.com. I have bought my Swaros from them. Thye have some nice package deals. On the larger purchases they will carry you for a while, Take Care, JLG.

I have the 6-18x40 on several guns inculding .223 and 300 ultramag. I shot the same scope for 12 years on my SWAT sniper rifle in a 40xb. I can honestly say that I have never had a problem with any of them. All mine have the Tactical/adujstable windage and elevation knobs and they work great. I am not saying anything bad about any other scopes but for the money these are hard to beat. You can find them very often on ebay in the high $300 to low $400 range. They have some on for $499 buy it now price. I love mine and have them doped out to 700 yards with no problems. Whatever you choose good luck in your hunts.

Very good scope.

Holy crap, I actually agree with Casy too. :blink: Maybe he's drunk. Anyhow, I feel 6x is a little high for a low end on a 40mm scope. I'd never go below a 50 with a 6x low end (or in general for that matter.) My 2 pennies.

If you are wanting a scope that is more than 14x magnification, I would go with one of the 6-20s or 6-24s. The most overlooked scope out there is the Burris Xtreme tactical scope. They have accurate dials and are very robust. You can get the mil dot but why? Unless you are a military sniper, mil dots are like ancient history. There are far better reticles out there. I personally like the Leupold 4.5-14 LR with M1 dials. M2 dials would be better but they don't offer it. If you are going to be dialing, then dial, if you want to use a reticle for long range, then get a reticle that is set up to use with LASER range finders like the B&C or Varmint reticles.

I have no problem shooting to 500 yds with my 2.5-8 VXIII with a B&C reticle. A 14x will take you to 800+ with ease. The big advantage to the higher powers is the ability to resolve bullet holes in targets at longer range. If you want to see bullet holes at 500 yds, you will need a better scope than what you have suggested your budget is. Plan on spending at least $2K to do this!

Very good scope.

Holy crap, I actually agree with Casy too. :blink: Maybe he's drunk. Anyhow, I feel 6x is a little high for a low end on a 40mm scope. I'd never go below a 50 with a 6x low end (or in general for that matter.) My 2 pennies.

I am the drunk one?! Atleast I know how to spll Kevn

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm waiting to see a credit on my Midway account on a return item and then I'll be ready to purchase. I'll let you know which way I end up going. So where's the draw results anyway???

Good luck to everyone on their first choice picks!!!!

Very good scope.

I am the drunk one?! Atleast I know how to spll Kevn

Pschhh <_< All I spelled wrong was your name. I got the important stuff right ;)

I have been using a Nikon Monarch 5-20x44 with the BDC on my AR and the 6-24x50 BDC on my .243 and love both of them. They are very clear and work well with the BDC reticle. I also have a buckmaster 4.5-14x40 with the Mil-dot reticle that is a blast to use on my short barreled 7mm-08. David

http://www.nikonhunting.com/riflescopes.html