azhunter85

whats your range?

Typically not more than 65 yards, + or - depending on conditions and how I feel that day. I may not know until I draw, try to settle in and may only be 30 yards, but I'll usually practice out to 100 yards. It is typically for practice only and seems to help me be that much more stable and confident at half that distance.

I THINK IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOUR SKILL LEVEL. I HAVE A SOFTBALL SIZE GROUP AT 80 YARDS. WHICH I PRACTICE OFTEN BEFORE MY ANTELOPE HUNTS. ALL 3 ANTELOPE I HAVE TAKE HAVE BEEN ON SPOT & STALK AT 79.5YDS, 80YDS, AND 81YDS... 80 IS MY LUCKY NUMBER... WITH AN ELK OR MOOSE SIZE ANIMAL. ILL TAKE A 100YRD SHOT SINCE MY KILL ZONE IS DOUBLE IN SIZE... :D

I shoot constantly -}}}}}}over 300 arrows a week------} and i am very confident when i have my bow in my hand ,shot my pig 2 years ago at 75 yards and missed one at 20 this year . It all comes down to conditions while on that stalk and knowing your ability . I myself would not shoot over 80 just to much can go wrong to chance wounding an animal . and for myself conditions would have to be pefect along with knowing the exact range out past 30+

Shooting a target is a lot different than shooting an animal ...

Shooting out to 80 or even 100 when shooting at a foam core block is probably in the "Wheelhouse" for a lot of us. But when you shoot at an animal that far away, there are a lot more variables involved. Probably the least noted of those is the animal itself "jumping the string". Sure, bows are quieter today, and faster. That is a fact. But at a distance of 80 to 100 they definitely have time to react. Best case is a complete miss ... worst case is you hit an animal that you wound (possibly kill) and never recover.

I'm of a mind that most guys (or gals), using some patience and stealth, can get close enough to take a pretty sure shot. One that the animal has no real time to react to ... taking that out of the list of variables that one of the posters listed.

Remember, whether you get one or not, the success is not in the kill, but in the hunt experience itself. Me, I'll keep my shots to under 40, even though I can hit a foam block from a heck of a lot farther than that. I don't fault you if you want to stretch that, but make sure your conditions are right.

I've been shooting like a 15" group at 110 yards... My sight can go to 125, then it starts getting too close to the broadhead.... Never had the opportunity to shoot a live animal that far.. "Just let 'em keep coming in..."

About 40 yards on the real deal. Too many bad things can and do go wrong when your dealing with hair and hide that moves, instead of foam that is measured and stationary.

To each his own...

Nick

Practice out to 80 but have never taken a shot over 54 yards and I missed that one.. :o