Sign in to follow this  
azelkhunter2

Lazzeroni warbird

I could really use some help working up loads for this rifle...Right now I am loading 168 gr ttsx with 98gr of RL 25 with fed 215m primers and a col of 3.6....Not a bad load it will put 3 shots in about .58 at 100yrds at 3600 fps but I would like to tighten it up just a little...Any help would be great...Dave

I could really use some help working up loads for this rifle...Right now I am loading 168 gr ttsx with 98gr of RL 25 with fed 215m primers and a col of 3.6....Not a bad load it will put 3 shots in about .58 at 100yrds at 3600 fps but I would like to tighten it up just a little...Any help would be great...Dave

You want to tighten it up just a little??? :huh: :blink: If I was shooting .58" groups at 100 yds I wouldn't touch a thing!

-Tracy

So you are shooting a little over an inch at 200 yards....leave it alone.

That is an accurate, tight, three shot group.

168 grain 7mm pill at 3600 fps with 1/2 moa? Yeah that sucks :rolleyes: ;) . Have you shot it 300, 400, 500, etc? I'd look at your long distance groups (if you haven't already) before I changed anything. 168 grains is pretty big (long) for a 7mm, that bullet make take a while to stabilze.

168 grain 7mm pill at 3600 fps with 1/2 moa? Yeah that sucks :rolleyes: ;) . Have you shot it 300, 400, 500, etc? I'd look at your long distance groups (if you haven't already) before I changed anything. 168 grains is pretty big (long) for a 7mm, that bullet make take a while to stabilze.

+ 1 ;)

The only thing I could suggest is trying a Berger

but then again, some think they take a while to stabilize.I

I don't think I would change the load but check with Berger first.

As Coues Sniper said:

Get results beyond 200 + before messing with anything.

Thats a great group ;)

Forget the 100 yd group, you need to shoot it at 400, 500 and maybe further. A Warbird is completely unnecessary at 100 yds- it was meant to reach out and touch. I am surprised you are having that much luck with an uncoated pure copper bullet at those velocities.

Someone suggested that you switch to Berger- the hunting jacket Bergers will NOT hold up at those velocities in fact, when I was shooting 1000 yd BR, Karl Hunstiger had a Warbird and blew 210 Bergers up and had to switch to 240 grain SMKs.

You are on the right track with the Barnes and if it is shooting that well, test it at long range and see.

If youre getting .5-.6 MOA consistently, LEAVE IT BE!! With a barrel burner like that, your barrel will be toast after trying to tighten that up. Dude, youre in the .5's. If you want .25 MOA get a freakin bench rifle.

Someone suggested that you switch to Berger- the hunting jacket Bergers will NOT hold up at those velocities in fact, when I was shooting 1000 yd BR, Karl Hunstiger had a Warbird and blew 210 Bergers up and had to switch to 240 grain SMKs.

You are on the right track with the Barnes and if it is shooting that well, test it at long range and see.

+1 on the 3600 fps being too fast for the Bergers. Those J4 jackets are only able to stand up to about 3350 or so. If you wanted to try the Bergers you could try the 180's, still may have to tone it down though.

I was asked to provide more info on the rifle and a pic if possible. (I have never posted a pic so i'll do my best )The rifle is a 7.82 30cal warbird and was built by Tooley custom rifles...It is built on a sako action with a jewel trigger set at 1.6 pounds with a 27'' Hart # 4 barrel ( 1/13 twist )bedded in a McMillen stock topped with a swarovski PH 4-16-50 TDS 30mm scope....In answer to some of the ? asked....I have spent a great deal of time trying to find a load that shoots well ( over 200 rounds so far ) I wanted to shoot 180 gr rounds but I had a bunch of trouble getting them to shoot ( I tried them all )...After wanting to drive over the rifle with my truck I found out that the twist rate will more then likely not work with long heavy rounds!!...( any thoughts )...So that is how I got to the 168s....I have shot out to 1000 yrds....At 600 yrds I can shoot a 6'' group ...Past 800 yrds it really opens up ( I have a factory 300 ultra mag that I can shoot to 1000 with 12'' groups ) so I dont think it's me..I have just bought a box of 150 gr and 165 gr Barnes MRX and with any luck can find a way to bring the long range groups in..( I was told that I should shoot a shorter lighter round with the twist at 1/13...( any thoughts )..I would like to find a way to get the long range groups ( over 700 yrds ) in....Any help would be great!!!Thank you very much for your time and thoughts...Dave post-3313-1248407337_thumb.jpg

The 13x barrel in not the black plaque you think it is I assure you. You may not be able to run 210's and 220's etc...but you wont have any trouble getting the 180-190's and some 200's to stabilize. I say some because you will likely NOT get the mono metal bullets in 200 grain to stabilize but the jacketed lead variety will stabilize just fine. A common benchrest load for the 308 is the 168 SMK in a 14x barrel at much lower velocities than the warbird. As the velocity goes up, so does the ability to stabilize. Plus the air in AZ is never dense enough to caue you any trouble to boot.

As a side note, I wouldnt waste any barrel life on the MRX bullets. The MRX bullets fly way worse than the TSX or TTSX.

At 200 rounds, I would have a smith bore scope your barrel. It may be time to set her back. Are you using any other powders than RL25? Even for the warbird and 27" barrel, 3600 with the 168 TSX is a very stout load. Have you tried H50BMG? It will slow things down a bit but maybe the ticket.

Have you tried the 180 Hornaday Interbond? Have you tried the 180 Nosler ACCUBOND? How about the 200 ACCUBOND?

You have kind of a conundrum here. Super hot calibers need certain bullets for reliable hunting performance. That doesnt leave you with alot of options. You need options for accurate 1000 yard shooting. You find yourself testing and testing and testing trying to find the perfect load and you have to do it with a cartridge that offers you very limited premium accuracy life to begin with.

It sounds like you need a different caliber. More 1000 yard user friendly. If you demand mass amounts of energy at 1K, look at the bigger 338's running 300 grain pills. The 338 RUM and Edge or Lapua mags are EXTREMELY inherently accuracte and can deliver over 2000 pounds of energy at 1K with less windage than the warbird and MUCH better barrel life. That is nearly twice the energy at 1K with 20" less drift with over 900 FPS less at the muzzle than the 168 TSX loads.

I know this post is very pointed and maybe some things you dont want to hear. I say them because I have been in your shoes and then some. I recocnize the frustration. I have burned many barrels "searching" for the perfect rifle/load. It doesnt come easy or cheap but it does come for those who are persistent, patient and willing to try new things.

Ive seen quite a few 180gr .30 accubonds thrown down range, bullet performance is great. They fly good too. I have some loaded up in a RUM w/ IMR4350. (kinda fast powder but it shoots great in my RUM and 7mag) I know a guy who shoots the same bullet w/ Retumbo. I bought a can of it to try out some loads. What bullets are you shooting out of your 300RUM?

308 thank you for your honesty...I did start out with the 180 gr accubond shot close to 60 of them...Could not hit the ocean from the beach with them!!..I have not tried any 190 or 200 gr rounds that was my next step till I was told go shorter and lighter by a local gunsmith..I will sh*** can the MRX....I have a box of 180 and 200 gr partition I will try and slow things down a bit and see what happens with those...I tried RL22 and IMR 7828 as thats all I had around...I would like to try retumbo if I can find any..I did have a bore scope done at 200 rounds it looked as good as it did when new. As far as the bergers go I have never shot them and dont know anyone who does ....How do they perform on large game??.....I dont really care about speed I just want to know that the round will go where it needs to......Thanks again....Dave

As far as what round I shoot in my ultra mag...180 gr accubond

I'm sorry, I was thinking you had the 7mm version :rolleyes: . With the kind of power you have, and wanting to shoot long distance, i would REALLY look at the larger 210 Berger and 208 A-max bullets. However, I don't think the twist you have will stabilize them. You'd need a 1 in 11 or maybe even 1 in 10. Give the 185's or 190's (Berger) a shot and see how they do. Performance-wise they are like a magic wand on game from all that I have seen and heard. If all else fails I'd consider switching the barrel out for a faster twist. That way you could get the full potential out of that round. You might try switching powders, maybe Retumbo or H1000 but i really think you need a different twist. 308 brought up a good point about the different 338 calibers as well. There are some great bullets coming out in the near future for long-range stuff, and some pretty fine offerings out already. You're in kind of a spot man, I wish you luck ;)