The Claw

South Africa Safari-Pics

Scottyboy and some others asked me to post some pics so here you go. This was my first time to Africa. Honestly, before this year I never had the itch to experience Africa......always been a North American game nut. However, we are in the process of producing a "How To" and "In the Field" video and thought this was the best way to show The Claw in its many uses. The East Cape was everything I thought it would be and more. I don't know how many times I said, " I feel like I am hunting in Mexico for coues deer", or "I feel like I am coues deer hunting only the coues deer are Kudu!". Beautiful terrain. post-2988-1248412372_thumb.jpg

Home for 4 nights

post-2988-1248417750_thumb.jpg

Friend, Jim Hamberlin joined me for a 5 day hunt (for your information I recommend longer if possible to make the 24 hr one way flight more bearable!) We hunted with Pierre Moulman of Sun-Africa Safaris. We had a high def camera, GL2 with doubler, and I was doing some T and E for Cast Fire Solutions Scope Cam. This is a slick set up. It mounts on the front lens of scope and captures live video through my scope. It sees what the shooter sees. This unit was a quick ship out so it is in black and white but color units are available. We captured all our hunts on film and got some amazing footage. Editing it now (slow process).

Shot my Kudu 2 hrs into the first day at 880 yds across a large canyon (no way to get closer).

post-2988-1248412309_thumb.jpg

There were larger bulls but the outfitter said it was a good bull and he wanted to experience some long range hunting. He was impressed but I was surprised to hear about the shooting he typically encounters with his typical hunter. He said a long shot for the average hunter is 200 yds and the hunter usually misses multiple shots at that distance before he connects. This concerned me because it most likely is a reflection on lack of preparedness and attention to equipment. Neither is good in my opinion if we want to be successful or more importantly ethical and responsible hunters.

Here is a still shot from the Rifle Cam of my Kudu at 880 yds right before I pulled the trigger. Nightforce NP-R2 reticle, 22X power.

post-2988-1248419934_thumb.jpg

Next was my Zebra. Nice Stallion shot at 803 yds. Very spooky animals + travel in herds + open country (old burn) + large canyon = long shot (ideally wanted to get closer on these very tough animals but had confidence could make it happen. This was at the max distance on these big boned, dense animals. Took 3 shots in the vitals at this distance to put him down for good.

post-2988-1248415533_thumb.jpg

Here is a still photo that Jim took sitting next to me right before I shot. The stallion is on the left.

post-2988-1248417364_thumb.jpg

Next was my Gemsbok (Oryx). This was my favorite hunt of the trip. He is my largest respective animal (right at 40"). I wanted a bull and this bull not only had length but really massive. Made a long stalk on him and a smaller cow. 30 MPH winds. got above at 371 yds and was doing commentary before shot. Luckily I had already calculated the windage hold off on my Exbal PDA because all of a sudden they were up and running. Wind swirled. I ran out to a open peice out from the trees and quickly sat and snapped into the tripod. I had the crosshairs on the bull steadily as he ran. They stopped and Jim whispered 490. I placed my 5 MOA (~25" at 500 yds) windage hash mark on his front shoulder and squeezed. The 200 grn Accubond found its mark perfectly, shattering his front shoulder and obliterating his vitals as he was facing slightly towards. He ran staggered maybe 20 yds and flipped over. I must admit this was one of my most proud kills, definitely more rewarding than the longer shots because of the wind factor. I am always amazed at how accurate the ballistic software is if the shooter has taken the time to get the variables correct......that Einstein fella was a smart cookie.

Here is still from GL2 with doubler when he was bedded at 370 yds before winding us.

post-2988-1248421491_thumb.jpg

The Shot

post-2988-1248422043_thumb.jpg

Here is a sequence of frames of kill:

Frame just before bullet hits just in front of left shoulder

post-2988-1248422420_thumb.jpg

First frame as bullet penetrates in front of left shoulder (notice sudden crease over shoulder as it is being broken)

post-2988-1248422562_thumb.jpg

Frame as bullet travels through chest and vitals and lodges into back region

post-2988-1248422631_thumb.jpg

Flopping over after maybe 20 yds of adrenaline rush (notice left shoulder broken as he begins to fall over)

post-2988-1248422704_thumb.jpg

post-2988-1248416785_thumb.jpgpost-2988-1248416757_thumb.jpg

Next was my warthog. Shot this warrior at 150 yds standing off The Claw. This was a fun hunt as we were stalking hogs in the thick river bottoms with intermittent clearings. Nice character as his left tusk is worn. Good size for that area.

post-2988-1248417019_thumb.jpg

Next were bushbok. Shot this guy right at dusk as he barely stepped out of the river bush into an opening of our last evening there. We knew this guy was a buck as their coloring is dark brown compared to light brown of females but didn't know how big. Really wanted one so shot him at 370 yds, heart shot. Not big but they are pretty animals.

post-2988-1248417176_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple more pics for fun. Was a great time and can see why it is addicting. Very happy that we did not miss nor wound or loose any animals and between Jim and I we shot about 20 animals. Will definitely try and get back someday. This really was like hunting in coues deer heaven for African game so if anyone is interested in this style of hunt just contact me and I can give you Pierre's (Sun Africa Safaris) contact info. You won't be sorry.

Culling Springbok

post-2988-1248417647_thumb.jpg

Glassing for Zebra

post-2988-1248417695_thumb.jpg

Mountain Tortoise, He lived

post-2988-1248417725_thumb.jpg

Looks like you had a blast, great pictures as well, thanks for sharing.

p.s

I sure would like to see the video of you shooting at the zebra ;)

Way to go, amigo... I know you enjoyed the trip as much as I said you would!! You took some great trophies at some INSANE distances for Africa!

So let's hear it, were you already planning a return trip on the plane ride home? ;)

Headed up to 27 in about 20min (it's 130AM and I'm on CWT!)... I'll call ya on the return and let ya know what we see..

Congrats again, Cade!

WOW, Cade, great looking animals and beautiful country. I too have never had the itch to travel the pond, but its looking more and more exciting each year. Very Nice.

Houston

Thx guys. The great thing about Africa is you just see a lot of game. If you just want to shoot something representative then it is a laid back, low pressure hunt.........vacation in the truest sense. But like game here, if you want a true trophy then it takes some sweat and luck from what I can gather. I think that is another reason why many go back time and time again, either to shoot more species or sometimes to best their previous trophy. It was a good time. Squeezed a lot of action in a short amount of time.

Shane,

I let Pierre know that I think a lot of people would be interested in maybe even doing just a Kudu hunt in this type terrain and hunting for as low a cost hunt as possible and then add trophies as you want. This is kind of how they all do it anyways except most PH's won't let your base package be just one animal. I told him to see what he could work out for a group. Would be fun to hunt a while for some real big Kudu bulls in a way we hunt over here for stuff. You could literally shoot an average bull in an hour there so just shooting a Kudu is relatively easy but passing up bulls in search for a Gold Medal bull would be fun in its own right but when you have other animals you want to shoot while you are there it is hard to keep passing up bulls. Just plan on shooting more animals when you go....happens to the best of us.

We'll plan on going in TWO years........next year you'll be guiding me in Alaska!

This is an awesome thread you posted here! That picture of the Kudu in the scope is a sweet pic. Thanks for posting these up and congratulations.

Cade,

That is awesome! Great pictures, great write up and great animals! Thanks for taking the time to post them for us.

Thx Phil, Did u get any tags? I just found out we have a mutual friend in Jim Parker. We plan on meeting up while scouting for elk and sharing some camp time and watch some Africa footage. hope u drew some tags.

Great pics. The long range shots are unbelievable!

Congrats on a successful trip and thanks for sharing.

That definitely stirs up the fire to go to Africa. I have a question though, if a guy was to bowhunt Africa, could he be successful doing spot and stalk method of hunting? I'd love to go to Africa, but I primarily bowhunt, and all the African bowhunting seems to be done out of huts on water holes. Not that I have any problem with that, just prefer to pursue on foot.

Johnathan,

Good question. I have an archery background as well and I will tell you that the East Cape region where I was would be a great archery hunt. Just like hunting coues in southern Az. You would have no problem spotting and stalking here. In fact, I would not go anywhere else for it. Pierre has guided many archers in the past but his hunters are usually our of shape guys and they WANT to sit water. But you would be successful spot and stalking here. That is how we hunted but just didn't need to look for opportunities to cut the distance down to bow range. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

That is a trip. Great photos. YOU LAID THE SMACK DOWN, I always wanted to hunt a Zebra. Hats off to you sir

Wow! Im sure that was a trip of a lifetime! Some people dont think that shooting long distance is hunting but shooting at some of the distances you shot requires a lot of skill and doesnt detract form the hunt. Huge Congrats on all your harvests and the overall experience has got to be second to none!

Just Awesome! I too did not "get it" until I went! We used your Claw while there and had Great results with it on Big Cats.... Thanks for posting up the pics!!