Sign in to follow this  
tomgobbler

antelope problem, any advice? :)

OK here is the senerio, i've put in for about 20+ years and this is my first arizona antelope tag (i've shot 3 in wyoming, one little one and 2 - 15ish around 78-80" bucks) i've put in lots of scouting alread and found a couple of good goats, one pictured below (if i can get it upload) one is really tall! i'm guessing 17+ but when i see him he is quite a was off and doesnt stick around ( an old smart sucker) and i can find him once ever couple of weeks. the second goat (the one pictured below) is a nice goat by anybodies standards. nice cutters, nice mass, good length, he is a little shy on mass above the cutters, BUT i can find him almost every singe time i go out..... so what would you do..... would you try to find the bigger goat for several days HOPEING this goat didnt bight the dust while you were doing it, or would you shoot this one right off, so no one else finds him.

1 - shoot first or wait?

2- how big do you think this goat is?

heck of a problem i have huh :) :) :)

post-2728-1248729563.jpg

post-2728-1248729569.jpg

Boy, what a nice problem to have!! Although I can see your plight. I say whack the one you find every time. That scenario offers fewer potential disappointments, in my opinion.

+1 on the last comment

Be there to scout a few days before the season to see if they are still around or have moved for the rut, or if an archer or muzz hunter took him. Pattern the first one to see his escape route- if another hunter buggers him, you can be there to greet the buck.

+1 to Redrabbit.

Shoot the one you can still find in the two days before the opener.

That is a great goat, but after twenty years, I would want to see every buck in the unit.

Kinda depends on what part of the state you are in, also

You have already harvested some nice lopes. You waited 20 years for an AZ tag. I say learn all you can about the big boy. Find him, stay on him, come opening light, harvest him. I know he is an old wise goat, but dont hold that in such high esteem that you defeat your self mentally before you even meet the opener. YOU ARE the dominant species here. Dont forget that.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I had a friend that waited a long time for his tag and drew a GREAT one. Then proceeded to scout his butt off the whole summer. 10 minutes into opening day he shot an average buck because he was scared all the big ones he had seen would be killed. :blink:

You have already harvested some nice lopes. You waited 20 years for an AZ tag. I say learn all you can about the big boy. Find him, stay on him, come opening light, harvest him. I know he is an old wise goat, but dont hold that in such high esteem that you defeat your self mentally before you even meet the opener. YOU ARE the dominant species here. Dont forget that.

Well Said!!! I could not agree more! ;)

Well Said!!! I could not agree more! ;)

+1

It's all about the journey... not the destination. You waited 20 years so enjoy your hunt of a lifetime!