Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector

2" or 4" Vanes

It boils down to preference . I like a 4" feather. I shoot feathers cause they stabalize an arrow better than anything. I have literally shot about a dozen different broadheads from 2 blade to 4 blade, and they all fly like my field points. Of coarse your bow still has to be tuned good too. But the down fall to feathers is rain, and they are way more fragile. You can put water proof stuff on them, I use scotch guard. But you dont have to do that with vanes. They also are way less durable. If you even look at them wrong they can get tore up. But I love the way they make my arrows fly.

Wassssup Craig? Ready for another Corn-Hole stomping??? Coulda figured you for a "feathers" kinda guy! :lol: All kidding aside, what did you and the missus draw this year?

Any extra speed you get froma 2" vane would be so unnoticeable, that it would not off set the advantage from the stability of the 4" vane for braodheads. I would even say make sure you have a good helical to the 4". For what it is worth to you, I shoot an ACC with a four fletch, Flex Fletch vane, with a hard helical on it. Anything that can help stabilize a bradhead is worth it.

i personally favor the shorter/higher profile vanes. The wild drift is often less with these vanes due to less surface area. Fly your broadheads with various vane combos and try to use no more vane than necessary to stabilize your arrow, otherwise your going to impede performance. Also try to use a sharp helical to maximize perfomance out of any vane. I personally have had nothing but success w/ Blazers, Predators, and AAE Max Hunters

I also prefer 2 1/5 inch vanes due to winddrift. I prefer vanes over feathers because feathers are louder and don't do well with rain. I love the 2.5" blazers.

I also prefer 2 1/2 inch vanes due to winddrift. I prefer vanes over feathers because feathers are louder and don't do well with rain. I love the 2.5" blazers.

I shoot 2" Blazers myself, and switched over from 3" Bohning fletch. never had a problem with the 3" just like many sports "ITS ALL PERSONAL PREFERENCE" .. I have been fortunate to take 3 Antelope bucks. all at 80yds. spot and stalk.. 2 with 3" vanes and 1 with 2".. and all arrows flew TRUE. I hear soooo many people talk about 4" are all yall shooting LINCOLN LOGS?

Dont really need 4" vanes to stablize most broads heads, fixed or mechanical...

post-3570-1250370147_thumb.jpg

Last year, I tried to switch from 4" to Gold Tips with 2" and I could not for the life of me get things dialed in. Some kid at the Sportsman's bow counter in Tucson swore by the Gold Tips and recommended I buy them, and I later found out he was a rep of some sort for the company. The Gold Tips with 2" flew all over the place. It must have been the wrong combination of things (shaft length, broadheads, bow speed, stance, etc.).

I am using 4" again, and I feel more confident with them. I now have 4" Eastman's and 100 grain G5 Strikers and Luminocks. Slow, but good enough in the 20-30 yard range. I'm hitting in the middle area of the "pie plate" from 30 yards with absolute consistency, and feel ready to go. Soooo ready, already!

The animals shot with a bow dont care what kind of fletching you use. I recommend using what works for you, and dont try to change things this late in the game. Spring and early summer is the time to change things up.