Sign in to follow this  
azhunter23

Fawns dropping?

Was out scouting with my son yesterday and we were lucky enough to stumble across a fawn that seemed to be less than a week old. We walked right up on it before we even noticed it. Pretty cool. Just stayed right there never even moved. After convincing my son that the mother would return and that we cant take it home we left the area. My first time seeing one that young. So i'm guessing this is the normal time for them to be born.

I was out this morning, saw six does but only one fawn. Is it possible that a bunch of them haven't dropped yet?

I was out this morning, saw six does but only one fawn. Is it possible that a bunch of them haven't dropped yet?

Yes, it's possible that there are still more to come.

Amanda

A lot of times, the really young ones won't move with momma. They stay put in heavy cover and wait for momma to return. They are virtually scent free, and blend in very well. In NC, a lot of people made the mistake of bringing home a new fawn because they figured they were abandoned, when they were just doing what nature intended. I've found a lot of fawns in brier and kudzu thickets. It's one of my favorite things in nature.

we came across a doe this morning with one tiny fawn and then a mile down the road there was another doe with twins cute lil buggers i tell ya!! so Im guessin theres a pretty good fawn population in there as of now, hope them dang yotes dont get um!

I glassed up 4-5 very tiny fawns yesterday in the afternoon I was out. One had to be less than a week. It was having a hard time negotiating the terrain behind momma.

Cute to say the least.

I glassed up 4-5 very tiny fawns yesterday in the afternoon I was out. One had to be less than a week. It was having a hard time negotiating the terrain behind momma.

Cute to say the least.

good to know, thanks for the update. When I was down in mexico we saw alot of does without fawns and I wasn't sure if it was because they hadn't given birth yet or if they were already predated. I think down there in sonora they are farther behind by a few weeks to a month in their breeding and fawning seasons, so I am hoping they just hadn't dropped the fawns yet.

Amanda