TAM, TREESTANDMAN, Them there pic's that Amanda just posted on page 6 of the 3 Lions from your trail cam are awsome :D Do them cats still come around?

I agree, those are really cool! I never thought I would see three lions in the same pic. :D

Congratulations to whomever photographed those lions.

1. Have you tried using a varmint call in thick brush at the very first light there? I called in two lions over the past 50 years, so I know it works. (My problem with both was I was so shook up when I saw them I shot too quickly. Neither stuck around to give me another shot."

2. Is the quality of the photos typical for trail cameras? I've been thinking about buying one to put outside my cabin so I can photograph some of the elk bulls that walk past the house every night.

bill quimby

Great pictures Mike. Three lions together that is a dream come true right there.

Very interesting pictures. I guess we all can add another thing to the list of things that "CAN" happen. If we only had tags and time to be there like the camera.

The pic's of the three lions was taken two summers ago in july. The lion at the bottom left is a female and the two others are 1 1/2 year old kittens. If you can't tell from the pic's they are coming into a small spring. We were getting pic's of lions coming in a lot that summer, then last summer I don't think we got a single lion pic on that tank, but got several bears. The quality of the pic's is typical of the cheap $100 35mm trail cameras we use, but I think the actual prints look better than the scanned images do on the website. We've got literally hundreds of photos over the last couple of years from our trail cameras. We have had 5-6 of them out working for us almost continuously for two years. I just got a digital camera and set it out last week that has a video feature that I'm hopeful will turn out some good results. I just got 5 or 6 pic's of a couple of good bears this past weekend that I may post soon. I can't believe how many pic's of bears we have been getting! Now that I have access to a scanner I will be submitting a few of the more interesting photos to Amanda each week so stay tuned!

Bill, yes we've tried using a varmit call to call in some lions up there without success. Treestandman had a pretty neat encounter with a cat at another tank in the same area that we tried to call in the next morning with no success. I'll let him tell you the story if he wants to.

TAM and I have had a blast w/ our trail cameras!! We have pictures of two other lions in the daytime and one other lion at night all in different locations. I was able to take a bear last year w/ my bow and I give the credit to our trail cameras which showed us what time of day and how often these bears would come to the spring. TAM just figured out how to work the scanner at his work so everyone here will be able to enjoy some of our best pictures soon.

The lion experience I had was one I will never forget as I'm sure AZ4life will also testify. You can read about it using the search option for "lion experiences" on this site.

That's an incredible story. In sixty years of hunting deer (and everything else) I've seen just six mountain lions, counting the one I shot over hounds and one that ran across the road near the old town of Tiger many, many years ago. Although it obviously was scarey to encounter a lion acting that way you can consider yourself fortunate to have seen a free-ranging lion up that close.

bill quimby

Bill, yes we've tried using a varmit call to call in some lions up there without success.  Treestandman had a pretty neat encounter with a cat at another tank in the same area that we tried to call in the next morning with no success.  I'll let him tell you the story if he wants to.

I used to do a lot of varmint calling and had pretty good succes with bobcats, coyotes, coatis, and foxes. If I were to go calling specifically to hunt a mountain lion I think I'd first try to figure where the lions might be just before daylight, and start calling a the first hint to light. Bobcats used to be very cautious and could take at least thirty minutes of calling from the same stand before they'd appear.

"Appear" is the only way to describe how my bobcats came in. One minute they wouldn't be there, the next thing I knew one would be crouched almost flat next to cover, watching me. The lions I called weren't as secretive and didn't flatten out, but if I remember they both "appeared" about the same time I was getting ready to shut down and leave.

Coyotes and coatis came running in.

I presume nothing has changed.

Anyway, congrats on your success with trail cameras. I'm going to try them at the Cabin in September, when the really big bulls show up in the meadow in front of my cabin at night.

Bill has some very good advice there :P

those are some sweet pics. i took a 2x2 buck on christmas day last year and gutted the deer. I already had a tree camera up and running at the time about 80 yds from the deer guts. the next week i collected the film and found a verry fat lion 5 yds in front of the camera and lion tracks were all over the area. not as nice as 3 lions in the pic though. also 2 yrs ago during a cow elk hunt in unit 1 me and my father were taking a break and he was showing me new areas to hunt in the area. I noticed a nice meadow and told him to stop so i could check it out.

I didn't see any elk sign a all, so i bugled and imediately i heard a bull bugle back.

I had a cow tag, but i thought i might be able to call in the bull so i turned and ran 10 yds through some trees to get my dads attention so he could sit with me. After i got my dads attention and told him to come over i turned around to go bak were i first bugled,,, there was a lion standing there where i first bugled crouched like he was ready to jump on me. I shot an arrow but had a tough time finding him with the three foot ferns. after 6-7 hours of looking i couldn't find him.

that gave me the creaps for a while. sorry long story. thought you might enjoy.

Great story thunderbolt, I always enjoy lion stories...Keep em comin

Where can I see the pictures. I click on the link and all I get is a story.