firstcoueswas80

Anyone use a barrel donut/deresonator?

Any one use one? Unfortunately, my .257 wby HAS to have one on!

I took El Chupacabra (the fully custom .257 wby)out with her favorite VLD load... Moved the "donut ring" around on the end of the barrel... end of the barrel, half way down, all the way down.. Didnt matter, .75" groups... Take it off... only shot two shots and they were about 2" apart! I shot 4 - 3 shot groups with it on the barrel... All bullet could have been combined for about a 1.2-1.5 inch group!

I guess those ugly things work!

I saw you had one on one of your rifles and wondered about it.

I have never tried one but who knows what changing the harmonics can do.

looking forward to reply's

Yeah, its on the .257 shoots pretty well with the donut on! Bad part is, I had to put the thing on custom rig to get it to shoot. Good thing, it work and it shoots well!

I've got a Win M70 featherweight in .243 that does the same thing. Sure is ugly, but that thing cut groups in half.

Where do you guys mount the donut? How close to the forearm? Does it depend on the rifle/caliber?

Where do you guys mount the donut? How close to the forearm? Does it depend on the rifle/caliber?

It depends on if the barrel is floated or not. Mine, I keep about 3/4" from the end of the barrel.

It depends on if the barrel is floated or not. Mine, I keep about 3/4" from the end of the barrel.

Mine are floated... but I keep them 3/4" from the stock.... seems to work about the same for me where ever I put it on the barrel... but has more funtionality and looks better closer to the stock, IMO....

I have one on my Mt rifle and it is floated as well. about 3/4" from the forend.

If I had a #4 barrel that required it, I would look elsewhere for a problem.

I always kinda thought these were a gimick. How much "deresonating" can a hunk of rubber or navcon do from the time of primer strike untill the bullet leaves the barrel. And how much is that barrel gonna actually move or wiggle. From what I understand this is supposed to take vibration out of the barrel as the bullet is traveling out of it. The transfer of energy to from the barrel to the rubber would need to be EXTREMELY fast. In fact faster than my 3300 fps muzzle velocity. I'm not trying to tell you guys they dont work because they seem to. I would love some one to explain barrel harmonics to me in a nutshell. Maybe I should buy a book and read up on it. For how much they cost you cant really lose. Ill have to get one to play with when i work up a new load and see if it helps.