Sign in to follow this  
coues7

What contributes most to harvesting MONSTER BUCKS

Alright, Back on topic. A little prespective on the odds of getting Monster bucks year after year. One of my hunting buddies is probably the busiest taxidermist in Arizona. I get to hang around the shop when I have time. It is real nice to be able to get to handle a lot of true monster bucks. The reality is that about 70 % of the B+C bucks from Arizona are shot by people that just lucked into them. Most don't even realize they shot a true trophy. It is a real kick in the pants to tell them. They think they are getting their leg pulled until they are shown replicas of world record bucks. 15% are brought in by people who were professionally guided. Remember these guides may fill 30 tags a year, but they would be real lucky to get one client a year a 110 inch buck in Arizona. The other 15 % come from the hard core get a nice deer every year type. But most of those do not shoot a 110 " deer every year. Many are able to break the 100 threshold year after year, but the 110 is a huge barrier to most. Think about it. I have a pretty good memory. Of all the CWC members that post pictures, I can only think of 3 that have gotten 110 inch bucks in back to back years in Arizona. Maybe there is more than I realize. Lets do an informal poll. How many of you were able to harvest a 110 inch buck in consecutive years? Second question; How much time was put in to accomplish this? I am betting on a real short list.

Bob

Bob, Not to be whatever, But the guy asked how to harvest a Monster buck? Not consistently? That's something that, in this day in time, is actually very difficult to achieve without assistance. Now I 'm really intrigued did your wife's tag allow you to take consecutive B & C bucks? If so, I guess you can place your name. When I was small it was about killing a deer. Not how big. But this is a passion that has been instilled into all of us. There is really no right or wrong here. As long as we can remember the values past down to us. Who really cares how big a buck someone killed. Can't take it with you? It used to be about respecting your prey and the land.. Going out and camping with family. With the expectation of finally getting one of those storied O'Connor bucks. Heck, I thought he never got that three toe or was it two and I was scared he was still out there. But that's another story. Unfortunately, Now it's about me and what i can take from the land. I think somewhere those values might have been blurred. I sir, Know yours have not. And I don't what my views stated as a personal attack... It is really unfortunate that everyones opinion is viewed that way. Maybe it's that we can't really convey on the net. Heck I have trouble....Peace :)

Come on guys! Is this going to turn into a Monster Muley Website where everyone ends up in a forum brawl because of a difference in point of view? If you don't think like me, then I am going to bash you for it????????????????

The original poster asked an honest question about hunting tactics!

Nicley said Snapshot! We have enough people coming at us as hunters we dont need to beat up on each other!

Guest 300ultramag.

[/size]

Shooting straight is the the biggest factor hands down.... :wub:

glass ,scouting, and, patterning, is, secondary

In case people are wondering ,I think Casey and I have made ammends?as we both recieved pms basically saying we are both idiots betwixed umm. I hope so, Maybe we can both grow up a little according to others.

I guess I should just stop talking about my first coues, But it's the only Coues I've shot and try to relate the buck and that hunt to whatever topic it's relevant. No more though. srry If I came across as bragging, I'll try to get another coues to talk about for the next year ;) lol .

Maybe a spike, so I won't have this problem, of being proud of my buck and shareing it with others whenever I can.

I'm done guys, My first coues, 117, is ancient history now.............................................................................

.................................................................................

.................................................................................

......................................................................... well if'n I ever get it mounted I'll share it one more time k.

Changeing my avatar for a while, too my mule deer

Some hunters will go their whole life without getting a 117" Buck. A buck like that is something to be proud of! :)

The biggest buck I have ever seen was about 117" plus/minus, but it was during a mule deer hunt. The next year I got a whitetail tag and never did see that buck again!

Bob, Not to be whatever, But the guy asked how to harvest a Monster buck? Not consistently? That's something that, in this day in time, is actually very difficult to achieve without assistance. Now I 'm really intrigued did your wife's tag allow you to take consecutive B & C bucks? If so, I guess you can place your name. When I was small it was about killing a deer. Not how big. But this is a passion that has been instilled into all of us. There is really no right or wrong here. As long as we can remember the values past down to us. Who really cares how big a buck someone killed. Can't take it with you? It used to be about respecting your prey and the land.. Going out and camping with family. With the expectation of finally getting one of those storied O'Connor bucks. Heck, I thought he never got that three toe or was it two and I was scared he was still out there. But that's another story. Unfortunately, Now it's about me and what i can take from the land. I think somewhere those values might have been blurred. I sir, Know yours have not. And I don't what my views stated as a personal attack... It is really unfortunate that everyones opinion is viewed that way. Maybe it's that we can't really convey on the net. Heck I have trouble....Peace :)

June your post breaks my heart. I am obviously a failure as a communicator. Please reread all my posts. If you still think I am not firmly in your camp and basically wrote the same sentiments that you just did two short pages ago then please inform me where I went wrong. I'm the guy with a beautiful forky and dang proud of it.

Dustin and Casey, glad everyone made nice.I think others will agree with me your personalities at least in writing are a small, little, tiny, tinsey bit a like. No who am I kidding you are a lot alike, so it is no wonder you butted heads. When they start pulling out the Monster Muley card you know we have crossed the line. I never really have been on that site, but I can tell they are nothing over there. Real gentlemen are on CWC

Bob

I've never actually visited that monster mulie site either. CWT.com baby!! yes we do like mulies here too though. But we definately LOVE them Coues ;)

Funny you mention that me and casey are allot alike in our writeings, we said the same thing ;) . aint that right Casey, buddy.lol

Eat your own Humble Pie, the whole dang thing!!!! You wanted a pissing contest and you've got it!! I got a long fuse and one helluva bang!! No more Bullying at my expense!!!!!!

So, uh... how was the October 31 hunt?

I just seen this post since it was brought back up to the top. I am not getting involved in a debate are taking sides with anyone. I dont get involved in Internet Debates as they accomplish nothing IMO. But just wanted to comment I enjoyed the things Casey had to say. Sometimes it takes a couple of knocks in life to humble us. I have always tried to live by the Rules that Casey pointed out. As the "Good Book" teaches us. The way up is down and the way down is up! Good luck to all on your hunts this fall.

Luck is always part of the equation. You can NEVER tell a deer where to be, how to stand, when to drink or anything else for that matter. Even all of the scouting that one can do, there is still luck involved. The quote on being prepared helps to be lucky is right on the mark. Scouting helps tremendously and will give a person a better idea on what is in the area. It will put the hunter into a better situation to be lucky when that time occurs that a big buck will show itself.

Scouting and luck. That's how I feel.

I believe the single most important thing is TIME. If you scout and hunt enough you will find areas that produce monster bucks consistently and if you hunt enough you will be in the right place at the right time. Skills like glassing, patience and being able to shoot straight are next in line. Its funny how the people I know that kill the biggest bucks regularly are the same ones that are out scouting or hunting all the time.