Sign in to follow this  
luvdemcoues

22-250 vs 243

All, just dreaming a little about my next purchase. I think I have seen this topic on here before, but it has been a while. My little man is going to start hunting/shooting in a few years and I am starting to think about what caliber to get him. I also want it to be a gun that i could potentially shoot at yotes, javelina, and deer both coues and carp if I wanted to. I really like the 22-250 but am not sure it would be a good gun for mule deer. What are your thoughts?

Get a 22-250. The recoil is very very very slight on it and it is VERY fast. Thats what I purchased for my kids and since they are still young I get to shoot lots of Varmints and maybe a few deer before they get it. As for the Mule deer I am quessing it will be fine. I do know some guys that have taken Eastern whitetails with it so I would figure it would be good for carp. Take a look at the NEF Firearms they are cheap. You can buy a thumbhole stock Bull barrel single shot for 370.00 and as they get older you can upgrade the barrels to a 30/06 or 308 or even get you a .243 and have the best of both worlds the barrels cost about 90.00 each. Good luck.

+1

im think about the same thing with my son

funny how thinks have changed when my dad gave me my first gun a 30-06 when i was about 10 or 12 and said this is a mans gun and learn

+1

im think about the same thing with my son

funny how thinks have changed when my dad gave me my first gun a 30-06 when i was about 10 or 12 and said this is a mans gun and learn

So true but mine was a 7mm-08 :lol: :lol:

LOL

makes me think should i do the same to my boy

LOL

makes me think should i do the same to my boy

No because I still catch myself flinching sometimes :lol:

I learned to keep the scope further away from my eye though. :lol: :(

I got my 10 year old son a Remington Mod Seven in .308. He has been shooting the Rem Reduced recoil loads for the last 2 years. I love the 308. Wide range of ammo, easy to find if you forget your ammo at home.

Just sayin.

But between those 2 calibers I'd go with 243.

Ya, I think I am leaning towards the 22-250. I don't want my son to learn the whole flinching thing from the get go. I learned with a 243 and it was fine, but I think the 22-250 would just be a fun one to have.

The funny thing about kids is that they grow..... nuff said... I would go with the .243 all day long.

as far as the NEF I would stay away from them. I have had 3-4 of them, from .223 - 45-70 all of them have had ejection problems. On top of that $90 sounds good for a different barrel, but put even a decent scope on it and you are at $300 bucks each. Just buy a different rifle....

Just my .02 cents

Whitey

velocity and 'shock' are not effective at killing very tenacious-of-life big game animals including deer. what counts-kills-is wound channel and blood loss due to penetration. the sectional density and weight retention of a quality 100 grain .243 projectile is the minimum that has proven effective over the last 50 or so years. the first coues deer i helped dress out at 15 was riddled with eleven 22/250 bullets.

go with a bolt action rifle-and spend all the money. try .257 roberts, .260 remington and 7mm/08 if versatility like varmints-to-elk is being considered.

lee

yea just my opinion.

Go with the 22-250. I've seen 3 coues and 3 javelina kills with it- none going >10yrds and most dropping in their tracks. The right bullet and placement is all you need. Both my youth boys use it for javelina and coues. Since it hardly kicks and therefore they don't flinch, it has made them both great shots.

I am thinking of getting the weatherby vanguard. I like that it has the interchangeable adult stock and youth stock. What are your opinions on those. Also, would love to hear more about the caliber preferences. Josh

Since you are putting mule deer on the menu, I would choose the caliber that is capable, not marginal. Of those two, 243 would get the nod. The 243 is a screaming varmint round with the Remington loaded 75 grain V-tip (Hornady V-Max) and better for deer with 95/100 gr loads.

Make sure the stock has a Sims or Decelerator pad, adjust the trigger, and he wears muffs so he does not hear any muzzle blast. All will help reduce/prevent flinching.

With a Savage, you can also get extra barrels and swap them easily since they are attached with that ugly nut. A Savage with the Accu-trigger would be a better choice than the NEF, imo. So, a 223/22-250 and 243/308 barrel combination is do-able.

http://www.savageshooters.com/

Doug~RR