Sign in to follow this  
ron b

First scouting trip

I arrived in 35a after dark on Friday and on Saturday morning started my scouting. Alot of beautiful country and now alot of questions. I have done all of my hunting in the midwest and this is new to me. I was on the west side of Fort H. Saw ALOT of Homeland Security or boarder guards.

When one is on the dirt roads, what is a neighborly distance to have between hunters? What I mean is how far should I park away from another vehicle if I want to set up camp. I realized that I could scout an area extensively and come hunting day there might be another hunter or ten on the area I scouted.

I take it that those washes are not a good place to set up camp.

I like the terrain where the grass meets the foothills and then starts to blend in with the trees and such. This is what I am use to. Will these areas produce or should I go deeper into the mountains? When one goes deeper, how do you get your deer out? We use to either get the tractor or drag it to the road and get the truck.

Saw a buck and a doe.

Ron

As far as getting the deer out- skin and quarter and into the back-pack. A big coues on the hoof is around 110-120 on the hoof. They really are a small animal. I know sounds heavy , but with a good back-pack it is not to bad. Being in shape helps and if you have to you could de-bone the meat. de-boned then you are talking around 40 to 70 lbs. Don't worry that is what adrenaline is for.

:lol: I am not laughing at you but with you ;)

I moved here in 1980.

Talk about a cultural shock :o

and the hunting was 90* :rolleyes:

What the heck do you mean cap it out :(

That is done after it is hung in the barn after a week :(

I will give some more input but for now:

Best optics you can't afford and

the best pack you can't afford :rolleyes:

Will get you started in the right direction.

Have fun, it's a trip nothing like back East (North)

I am starting to get a better handle on this western style or hunting now. So I should pack my binoclulars, tripod, rangefinder, gps, rain geer, game bag (what the heck is a game bag), knife(s), minimal survival geer(matches, space blancke, gause, tewwsers,tape), water, sweatshirt, tp, something to sit on,etc. Then instead of going to my tree stand or my blind, I should walk a ridge or two to get away from the atv's and road hunters and set up for the day. I of course do this in the pre dawn and return at twilight. In the rare event I that I take a deer, I bone it and pack it out with proof of sex letft on hide and the head and now I have a pack that weight 60+ pounds. Oh yea, don't leave the knife in the gut pile.

This sounds like more fun that I can imagine, especially never having done it this way and at 58. By the way, are there misquoties here and what kinds of temperatures will I hit just west of Fort H in the early Nov hunt?

What am I missing?

Ron

QUOTE (ron b @ Oct 15 2009, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am starting to get a better handle on this western style or hunting now. So I should pack my binoclulars, tripod, rangefinder, gps, rain geer, game bag (what the heck is a game bag), knife(s), minimal survival geer(matches, space blancke, gause, tewwsers,tape), water, sweatshirt, tp, something to sit on,etc. Then instead of going to my tree stand or my blind, I should walk a ridge or two to get away from the atv's and road hunters and set up for the day. I of course do this in the pre dawn and return at twilight. In the rare event I that I take a deer, I bone it and pack it out with proof of sex letft on hide and the head and now I have a pack that weight 60+ pounds. Oh yea, don't leave the knife in the gut pile.

This sounds like more fun that I can imagine, especially never having done it this way and at 58. By the way, are there misquoties here and what kinds of temperatures will I hit just west of Fort H in the early Nov hunt?

What am I missing?

Ron

You got it Ron! Quick learner. I don't remember insects bothering me on any of my hunts in November. By the way if you are lucky enough to get a deer it is OK to do two trips on the pack out. A lot of times these gray devils like to expire on the steepest hill in the unit so use common sense. Also add two walking sticks to your equipment list. Your 58 year old knees will thank me. Plus check out these packs.

http://www.eberlestock.com/hunting.htm

Very efficient way to carry all the stuff you listed. Probably the most useful hunting gear I have ever owned.

Good luck,

Bob

Get a nice tall walking stick.... You can then rest your binos on it to steady them when you are walking to and from different glassing spots.

I actually have two Cabellas walking sticks, will these suffice?

I will have to reevaluate my backpacks, have three frame military style ones and one old rucksack by jansport thta is probably older than alot on this forum,bought back in the early 70's. Looks like time for a new one.

I also forgot that I wil have to pack the rifle also.

I will be out of town for a week, now I have something to comtemplate.

Ron

It is grand life as long as you don't fade...

depending on what you used to carry you might move away from the trusty lever actions as well.

Ron ,

If you happen to take a break and enjoy your camp during the day. It is still warm enough that you will probably have an occasional wasp or bee visit your water source and trash bag. But they are usually pretty friendly. Good luck on your hunt..Save one for the rest of us that have a tag for this unit. oh yeah, Don't forget the tag... :)

QUOTE (ron b @ Oct 16 2009, 05:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually have two Cabellas walking sticks, will these suffice?

I also forgot that I wil have to pack the rifle also.

I will be out of town for a week, now I have something to comtemplate.

Ron

Ron that is why I suggested the pack above. Has a well throughout rifle scabbard that allows your hands to be free to use two walking sticks. The cabela's should be fine.

Bob

You do not need to leave the "package" attached to the hide. Your tag is for an antlered deer, not a male deer. Skin the deer on the spot if you are packing it whole, that's what the game bag is for. Why pack another 10 lbs of useless hide?

I never pack rain gear on an early hunt either. It's going to be warm. You might be praying for rain by the end of the day.