Sign in to follow this  
luke duke

Another one bites the dust.

Ok, here's the story. We got up at 2 A.M. to get to our spot by sunrise. It was as cold as 16 degrees this morning where we were at. We stopped to glass a hill and saw nothing but moo cows. We had a raghorn bull elk run out in front of us. We then stopped at the south side of the hill to glass. Right away Ryan found a deer. It was a small 3x3. I ranged him at 375 up on the hill. I told Ryan I would shoot it if I could get closer. I moved up another 70 yards and set up the stix. I watched him for a bit and saw another buck come out behind him. When I was sure a 120 inch monster was nowhere around I took aim and held right on his back. My rest was rock solid and he went right down at the shot at 304 yards. ( note to self, always aim a tad lower on extreme uphill shot ). As we were walking to where we thought he was we didn't notice that he had slid down the hill 60 yards closer to us. The shot had broke his back and I had to put another round in him. I made Ryan drag it back to the FJ for me since he is a lot younger than me. We skinned it and quartered it in a tree and used the gutless method. It makes the job a lot less messy.

Here is a picture of the deer before the shot.

IMG_0880.jpg

As he lay.

IMG_0883.jpg

And here is me with the buck.

IMG_0887.jpg

Thanks to Ryan for helping Lukeduke and me on our hunts.