Sign in to follow this  
youngbuck

I need some fancy wood

I just got my mount back from Clay @ Mogollon. This was the buck that I won the CWT.com custom knife from for the picture catagory. The knife is way to purdy to get bloody. I'd like to display it next to my mount though. I want a small hunk of burl. Im not to picky about what kind of wood as long as it has some character and will look nice. I would like a chunk about the size of 8" short sided right triangle and about 4" thick. If it was about this size id prefer the top and bottom be rough uncut and naturally "burly" I think i could make something work from any shape about the size though. If there are any wood workers on here that might have a small hunk they would sell or maybe tell me where i could find some i would appreciate it. In the mean time Im gonna keep an eye out in the woods. Any suggestions on what to look for?

Ryan

Thanks for the help guys, I called the wood workers place. They didnt know where i would be able to find something like I want. I called a few other places across the US and they were no help either. Ill prolly find what i want sooner if i just look for what i want out in the hills. I would prefer something with as little cut surface as possible so i can "slice" off a piece of it to finish. That way it will look like a gnarly hunk off wood w/ really nice finished face on it.

Ryan,

send coueskrazy a PM (Jeff) he's the one who made the knife, he should be able to send you in the right direction.

He does some awesome work, he's gonna make me a knife.......................someday :P Just kidding buddy!

start walking the canyons and washed in the middle elevations of the state and look for root knots that have been washed loose by the rains. Mountain mahogney is a reddish color, Ash is light yellow, Manzanita is kind of honey color, Juniper red, etc. The root knots tend to have the neat swirls and burls you are looking for. You can also look where someone has bulldozed a path through the chaparral country. ;)

start walking the canyons and washed in the middle elevations of the state and look for root knots that have been washed loose by the rains. Mountain mahogney is a reddish color, Ash is light yellow, Manzanita is kind of honey color, Juniper red, etc. The root knots tend to have the neat swirls and burls you are looking for. You can also look where someone has bulldozed a path through the chaparral country. ;)

+1 on this one, specially look for burls. Contact tomgobbler on this site, he is real good about finding those burls.