Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Went 3 for 3 this Year!!!

Ok, so it's not AZ. I'll post it on NM too :)

Wow, what a Fall season it's been! I was fortunate enough to take nice coues and mule deer bucks with my bow in AZ and NM (Navajo rez) this year and had one more tag to fill, a NM Muzzle-loader coues hunt. With the help of a good friend, I bivy-packed into some remote wilderness country with hopes of finding a good coues buck to fill out the season.

Camping was pretty sparse - no shade, a full moon and plenty of critters to keep me guessing all night.

post-478-1257310451_thumb.jpg

On opening day, I saw plenty of deer, but no mature bucks. It was hard hunting because the deer were moving mostly at night and bedding early. There was a lot of ground to cover, and every time I found deer, only small forkies were hanging around the does.

The second day of the hunt, I made a huge circle, hiking several miles, mostly by moonlight, to get a little deeper into the areas I thought the bigger bucks would be hanging out.

Out of water and almost back to camp, I started walking the inside cuts of a large drainage hoping to push a buck out of his bed. About 9:00, two deer bolted in the thick cover beneath me. I only had about a second to decide whether to take the shot, and I could see that it was a pretty good buck. In hind sight, I may have been a little hasty but I really wanted to take a buck with my muzzle loader, and so far hadn't seen anything big, so I put the scope on the running buck's shoulder and fired. The shot hit well, and he dropped in his tracks. Here's a pic from the field that morning...

post-478-1257310929.jpg

He's a nice, older buck - 3x4, with decent mass, but short points.

post-478-1257310998_thumb.jpg

Overall, I am very happy with the whole hunt. With a little more persistence I might have found a bigger buck, but after seeing over 50 deer without any being larger than a fork-horn, I was happy to finally get my first muzzle-loader buck and finish out a great hunting season and get back home to my family.

A huge thanks to Greg, who showed me the ropes in this area and made it all possible.

- Jason

Way to go man! You rock!!!!! That completes your Triple Crown for Coues doesn't it? You are going to have to give me some tips on getting one with a bow so I can get mine....

Congrats again!!!!

Wow what a year Jason!! now you need to start praying that next year goes half this well J/K congratulations Bro!!!!!!

Way to go man! You rock!!!!! That completes your Triple Crown for Coues doesn't it? You are going to have to give me some tips on getting one with a bow so I can get mine....

Congrats again!!!!

That's right, big Bry, Tirple crown coues - a dream comes to fruition - SGHA rules!. So for you buddy, he's out there waiting right now. You know the spot, you know the tactics, you are going to to pull it off this year and he is going to be HUGE. I can't wait to see the rack. If you need a mule, give me a buzz.

Wow what a year Jason!! now you need to start praying that next year goes half this well J/K congratulations Bro!!!!!!

Thanks Cory. Honestly I had visions of driving back home and giving you a call to check out a big buck in the bed of the 'yota. He's OK, but next year will put a bigger boy on ground for sure. How are those shed-finding boys of yours doing?

Heck of a year for you Jason. Congrats. Did you end up running into any UDA's while down there?

Hey Scott, actually, no. I never saw a UDA or smuggler. My prime worry in that part of the world was just that. Apparently I wasn't on the menu. You have never heard silence until you'have heard that kind of silence. I never knew how badly my ears ring until I stood out next to my bivy camp looking at the moon in true, absolute silence. It was weird for sure. Great times though. I'd do it again, but I'd be in better shape with better equipment for sure. A buddy on that kind of hunt can make or break - no two ways about it.