Sign in to follow this  
Silver Bullet

Unit 22 North late season elk question

My son and I both drew for 22 North late (December 4th) hunt and are looking for some general pointers as to where to hunt. We both a

have experience in whitetail hunting and are equiped with Swarvo Binoccs, tripods, exc... as well as as well equiped jeep and 4x4 Polaris to get us where we want to go. That being said, we are staying in a cabin the entire week located in Whispering Pines which is pretty much in the middle of the unit and will be scouting areas to hunt starting this weekend. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on where to start? Thanks!

with the way game and fish is flooding 22 with bull hunters i don't feel bad giving up some pointers-i will never apply there again.

the canyon just west of tonto creek hatchery-i call it haught canyon-is good for bulls in the late season. access from the babe haught trailhead at the hatchery or from the road that goes to the old zane grey cabin site. very rough.

or do what we have always done and glass off the 300 road on top. the area around myrtle pt. gets hit pretty heavy but west of burnt point can be fun. sometimes you can glass 20 or so bulls at a time hanging on the rimslopes.

preacher canyon and little diamond rim are always good for glassing bulls.

lee

Now start everywhere but the places mentioned above... they will be more of a Circus now.... :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

I'll never hunt 22 for myself again either, but I don't believe in ruining the efforts of the guys that have hunted it for years and plan to hunt it again.....

You are staying in Whispering Pines..... study some topos and start close moving further away untill you find something that you like and has bulls.... places where you have to walk into will be better than those where you drive to.

with the way game and fish is flooding 22 with bull hunters i don't feel bad giving up some pointers-i will never apply there again.

the canyon just west of tonto creek hatchery-i call it haught canyon-is good for bulls in the late season. access from the babe haught trailhead at the hatchery or from the road that goes to the old zane grey cabin site. very rough.

or do what we have always done and glass off the 300 road on top. the area around myrtle pt. gets hit pretty heavy but west of burnt point can be fun. sometimes you can glass 20 or so bulls at a time hanging on the rimslopes.

lee

Now start everywhere but the places mentioned above... they will be more of a Circus now.... :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

I'll never hunt 22 for myself again either, but I don't believe in ruining the efforts of the guys that have hunted it for years and plan to hunt it again.....

You are staying in Whispering Pines..... study some topos and start close moving further away untill you find something that you like and has bulls.... places where you have to walk into will be better than those where you drive to.

Thank you Gino ;)

Have hunted it numerous time and it can be fun. Like Gino said if you can get a spot that you have to walk to all the better and if you can glass the base of the rim you should be set. If you do see bulls just be quick at getting to them, there is a lot of tags on that hunt.

I had that hunt last year. I had a bull tag and I really wish I had a cow tag. I saw only two bulls the whole time. One was a spike the first morning and I passed on him. The other was a 5X5 that I would have shot if road hunters on quads did not scare him off before he was in shooting range. I will not put in for 22 again. Way too many hunters! I saw more hunters then I did animals. However, that being said I agree with the other post that you will get into elk all around where you are staying. Drink a cup of coffee and then sit on the porch. You will see elk from there.

Good luck!

Tough hunt with lots of tags, the further you can hike the better. Glass Glass Glass

Couldnt have said it better.

Hike, hike, hike. Pack, pack, pack. Glass, glass, glass.

GL

M

Hiking is the key but not a guarantee. Its just a crappy hunt anymore. Real disappointed from last year, I did get a great bull for that hunt, not big but not broke! Its tough for sure. I personally won't apply for that one again, that was my second tag and confirmation. There are tons of people out there, lots will come and sit with you on the same freaky knob and glass, just ruins it. Plus it can get real scary....you make a move on a bull put yourself 150 -250yds for a great shot, but keep in mind, you may not be the only one stalking him. Could be someone 350-500yds out behind you looking at pulling the trigger, not because they don't want you to get it before they do, they prolly cant even see you for all the brush. Its a war zone. Good Luck Be Safe.

PS. WHALE did you get the pics from last week?

WHALE did you get the pics from last week?

No I didn't. Would like to see them send them again or post em here.

Thx jeremy

Guest 300ultramag.

lee

Thank you Gino ;)

+1

people are not going to hunt that crap unit.... its done... sorry but good luck.... its like a deer hunt youll see quads comin back 2 hrs. after sun down it is dang rediculous..... sa la vie unit 22