Sign in to follow this  
tontotom

What Scope and power do you like?

I'm looking for a little more scope for my 300 win mag. Right now I have a Burris 3x9x40 with the ballistic plex. I really like the scope but I found myself wanting (needing) more magnification on a recent coues hunt. Funny, I've shot elk, antelope and mule deer out to 450 and didn't want for more but coues at anything past 400 I'd like to have a bigger target.

So, what power combination do you guys use? I'm not planning on anything past 500. I've shot targets out to 500 with 4-5" groups with this gun but shooting a target that I can see well is very different than shooting at a coues that blends so well with the habitat.

Also, I have the Lieca 1200 range finder, what scope system do you use?

Tom

I personally use a Vortex Viper in 4x12x40 on one of my coues guns and the Bushnell Elite 4200 in 2.5x10x40 on another. I find myself constantly cranking both scopes up throughout the day but then starting out and finishing on 6 or 8. I very rarely find myself wanting more and feel that the quality of the scope is more important then the power of the scope. Just my $.02 ;)

I am using a Ziess Conquest in 4.5-14X50

with turrets and focal plane adjustment.

I have been very happy with it for the money

Did allot of research before I bought.

Tom,

If your name is implying you are from Tonto Basin

let me know ahead of time and I can bring my Rifle

to work (Payson) for you to look threw.

Personally I try not to use anymore power than I need. This cuts down on the effects of mirage and haze. For out to 600 yards I use 10 power minimum for average big game. For coues 14 or 15 would be better. Any farther than that and I prefer 15 minimum for average big game and 22 for coues.

I certainly was wishing for a 14x scope (rather than just a 9x) on my 400 yard shot on my coues last week.

I absolutely have to get a new scope this year. My old bushnell is dead and the one I am using now I borrowed from my neighbor last year and he says he needs it back after this season.

308nut, which 14x scopes do you like best? I have sort of been waffling around the Zeiss Conquest or Leupold Vari-XIII.

Amanda

I use two different brands and find both to be very good, on my Tikka lite 7mm I have 4.5x14X40 bonne and crocket Luepold and I have3X12X42 BDC Monarch Nikon on a custom .270 WSM and both work very well at the yardage that you are talking. I would say either would work great, but with that said you need to look at all the brands out there because I think there is others out there just as good for less money?

:lol: Good luck on picking a ford or chevy with our help so far.

Talk to as many as you can and look at as many as you can.

As stated I will be glad to let you try my Ziess and if you are

looking to spend a bit less I have a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14X40

you could take a peek threw.

Huskemaw Optics 5-20x50LR... all the way! They one of the most comprehensive outfits that I have seen and the scope is great and is very easy to use.... so nice to be able to know where you are aiming rather than guessing.

Huskemaw Optics 5-20x50LR... all the way! They one of the most comprehensive outfits that I have seen and the scope is great and is very easy to use.... so nice to be able to know where you are aiming rather than guessing.

:lol: I knew that was coming ;)

OK maybe you need to ad a Subaru into the mix :P

Gino has more money than me so he does have better stuff :(

:lol: I knew that was coming ;)

OK maybe you need to ad a Subaru into the mix :P

Gino has more money than me so he does have better stuff :(

??? :rolleyes: ... Hemi maybe! ;) :P

That one Huskemaw scope has now racked up like 14 kills in the last few years. ;) More than paid for itself! ....And considering that they throw in the first custom turret when you buy the scope.... It is about the cheapest scope of its kind on the market considering the quality. The scope has a zero stop factory installed and the components are all basically the same as a Nightforce for a fraction of the cost! ;)

Not so much more money, Mikey.... Smarter Money! ;) :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Leupold makes a great version of the expensive Mark 4 long range tactical and instead of the M1 knobs it comes with the regular 7/8" target knobs. This makes it about $500 cheaper. You can get a Mark 4 with the great glass and focus adjustment for about $625. It comes in a 4.5X14X40MM. It is the best scope you can buy for the money. When you look for it look under Mark 4 LR/T with the 7/8" target knobs instead of the M1.

ive been using the burris tactical 4.5x14-42 on my 7 mm rem mag and i have it dialed out to 700 with the turrets

I recently put on a Nikon Monarch 6-24x50mm on my 300 ultra mag, and i love it can see places you shouldnt be looking ha and its great glass for the money before you get up into the higher price range like swarovski and zeiss.