Sign in to follow this  
tontotom

What Scope and power do you like?

Lots of great scopes out there, but I have to plug the Cabela's Alaskan Guide series. I have two mounted on my favorite rifles. One (going off memory) is a 4-14 and the other is a 6-20 both in 40mm with mil dots. I think I paid between $275 and $325 for them, and for the money, they are fantastic. Both guns (both inexpensive) will outshoot me any day. The other scope I'd look at is the Vortex Viper or Diamondback - great optics, great price and a the VIP warranty - hard to argue with that one.

Of course, if money is not a big consideration, Huskemaw, Zeiss, Swaro, upper-end Leupold etc are all great rifle scopes for sure - but IMO, there are plenty of great scopes out there that cost a lot less then the "best of the best" and do the job very well.

I personally like scopes that have a little more magnification than 9X. something that you need to remember is that even really good scopes, in low light conditions will look darker when they are cranked up. so if you get one that goes up to 16X or 22X, don't think you will be able to have it cranked up that high at dusk.

also, I personally prefer bigger objective lens scopes. not to much of a fan of 40mm. I get 50mm when I can and will settle for 44mm.

I would have to say Leupold vxII 6-18X40mm. I have two, one on my 7mm and one on my 300. This scope offers a lot of great features for a cheaper price. I have personally shot 3 coues over 500 yards using this scope.

I have the Burris 4-16X44 signature select and LOVE IT. great power range, and VERY good glass for a nice price!!

4.5-14x44 Zeiss is about the best scope there is out there. Expensive, but awesome. I have two.

Almost Casey. X50 my friend.

And they are very reasonable for the quality.

4.5-14x44 Zeiss is about the best scope there is out there. Expensive, but awesome. I have two.

Get the x44 where you have to send it to Zeiss and have them put the turrets on it, and you will see. Those turrets blow the ones away that come on the target scope.

And I have one in x50 and prefer the 44

Get the x44 where you have to send it to Zeiss and have them put the turrets on it, and you will see. Those turrets blow the ones away that come on the target scope.

And I have one in x50 and prefer the 44

Can't say, you may be right.

Any other input on that matter?

I use swarovski 6x24 50mm PH. I love it.. BUT Night Force made me think twice. So next one after i sale the swarovski I will get the Night Force.

I have a 6-18 x 40 Nikon Buckmaster with BDC reticle on my 300 Ultra Mag. I took a lion and a deer with just 3 shots last year. You have to limit your shots with .300 ultra mag (so expensive, $3.00 bullet) <_<

I like the BDC reticle for longer shots. To me its the best mid-range scope and is second only to a tactical scope in its adjustments.

Gamehauler- Thanks, I don't live in Tonto Basin fulltime but we do have a weekend place there. Soon though, 6.25 years and I'll be more of a fulltime resident. I'll try to get up with you before I plunk down the money and preview the scopes.

This place is great, tons of information.

I'm way in the same position as Amanda. Old scope and I was really wishing for some more power. The light wasn't too bad and I could count his eyelashes with my 15x Leica duovids but when I went to the rifle mode I could barely make him out. Didn't have this issue with other species.

The guys who like Nikon, do the circles clutter the sight picture? I really like the simplicity of the Burris but the glass on the fullfield isn't the greatest.

I've looked at a lot of information but this feedback is the greatest. Thanks

Kinda funny reading this post. It's like asking which is better Ford, Chevy, or Dodge? Of course everyone thinks theirs is the best set up in the universe. The truth is that there is no "one size fits all" scope out there that will work perfect in every situation. There are a lot of great scopes that will do a fantastic job for different situations, but there isn't one scope that will do it all. It's like comparing a Jeep to a Ferrari.

Casey & Mike, the Conquest's are awesome scopes. I myself like the X50's, but then again I've got the 6-18 power. In the 4-14 model the X44 would probably be sufficiant, but I like to shoot long and like to have both the extra power and light gathering. Casey, I'm a little surprised you say they are expensive? Swaro's and Night Force are expensive... Conquests can't be touched at their price point!

I also own a Nikon Monarch and think that for the money it's a really good scope. Take a look at the Vortex line as well. I put one on my muzzleloader this year and was very impressed with the quality and clarity.

For the really long stuff... I don't think that for hunting situations the Huskemaw can be beat. There are some other great products out there, but the Huskemaw system is high quality, fast, and extremely effective in the field. Just range, dial, and shoot!

Good luck... whatever decision you make!!!